Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toolcube

ATV1200 only has 2.3GB storage?

Hi, I have an ATV1200 and just realized total internal storage is only 2.3GB (600MB used + 1.7GB free). I thought this model is supposed to have 4GB?

yes that is our older model, and it do have 4gig but almost 2.1GIG is taken OS and pre-loaded apps and whatever is left is for free which in your case says 1.7GB

If you want bigger, look at a mini PC. A lot of them are dual boot to both Windows 8 and Android and have 32 gig. They're the same size, same price, and don't have the issues that mygica has. For example they update automatically.

This thread got me thinking, I pretty well don't use the bulk of the android apps, except oobe and some of those tech apps like file browser and app install, app kill, etc., don't even use google play store... would I get significant chunk of that 2.1GB space back by uninstalling those unneeded apps? Or is the bulk of that 2.1GB space mostly taken up by Android OS anyway?

Also, wjw, you seem to be experienced with these devices, why you still run XBMC 13.2 on your 1200? Is your sig outdated or you prefer Gotham over Helix or what.

Jamesc, thanks. But then why does it say only 600MB is used up? Shouldn't it say 2.1GB is used up? Or is there a hidden partition that I can't see?

Jamesc, thanks. But then why does it say only 600MB is used up? Shouldn't it say 2.1GB is used up? Or is there a hidden partition that I can't see?

Kind of. The total size is roughly 4 gig. 1.7 is used for OS so that's off the table (imagine ripping 170 pages out of a 400 page book and saying that's the "index"). The rest is the "Total Space". I have 1.4 gig "Available" on the 1200 with May 2014 firmware that I'm setting up. It's a newly reset box with only Kodi apk installed and some other small setups for a guy at work.

The newer builds show the Storage differently with the complete storage shown.

Thanks. The reason I asked about free space is because I think the limited free storage on 1200 is causing issues when I stream certain video content from Kodi addons. It's happened with three different movies - Kodi buffers and streams most of the movie but then buffering always stops 10-15 minutes before the end of the movie and the stream stops. It's usually when the movie is 2+ hours long. When the stream stops, the only thing I can do in Kodi is go backwards through the menus...I can't even exit Kodi properly. I have to completely reboot the 1200 and launch Kodi again...only when I do so, it always says "preparing Kodi for first time use". I'm running the latest 1200 firmware with Kodi 14.1 preloaded. My network connection is always wired and I have a 100Mbit ISP service. I'm thinking the reason the streams stop is due to the cache/free storage filling up. I also noticed that the same Kodi video content/sources play fine through to their completion on other Android TV boxes with much more storage and also play perfectly fine on a computer (laptop/desktop).

That is definitely not normal. I know that xbmc/Kodi used to have anemic buffering, something like 20 meg or a couple of minutes or so. It didn't really bother me because if the stream was fast enough buffering was irrelevant while if I had buffering issues that meant my 2 hour movie was going to take 2 hours and 30 minutes regardless. Then I just PVR'd it.

"First Time Use" repeatedly? Never had it w/o resetting the box first.

Which "competition" are you using? I always like playing with different players.

The mods are a little antsy about Kodi so just PM me with any info that you might deem over the line for a Mygica forum...

Well I don't get "first time use" ALL the time...I get it every time I reboot (ctrl+alt+del on my KR100 remote) the box, which I have to do when Kodi streams stop playing - at that point I lose all control of Kodi (even exiting Kodi normally doesn't work, and the only option I'm left with is rebooting.

By other Android TV boxes, I was referring to my buddy's 1800 - I know it has quite a bit more storage and he never has this problem.

""First Time Use" repeatedly? Never had it w/o resetting the box first."

You can trigger 'First time use' upon Kodi launch if in Android you go to Settings, Apps, and click on Kodi and in the panel which opens you Clear Cache and when you launch Kodi it will say 'Preparing for first run'. It doesn't delete your addons or any settings, is quite safe to empty the Cache. The 'Delete the data' button in Settings-Apps - it is just above the Clear Cache button - deletes all your addons and returns the Kodi to the initial install - un-configured state.

After watching a bunch of movies, I sometimes start getting message - something to the effect that the cache filled up before it could do 100% caching of movie stream and when I get this message it means the movie will be repeatedly stopping for buffering (slow buffering at that) and not be able to buffer properly. I quit Kodi and exit to Android and clear the Cache in Settings-Apps which I think helps but not sure now, I think what helps is Android restart...

I have just tested on fresh and un-configured Kodi 14.1 installation that if I leave Kodi running and exit to Android and clear the cache, I can't subsequently quit Kodi from within and also it doesn't show anything but black screen under all its menus, including Kodi settings (it is better to quit Kodi before clearing its cache in Android). I have to use the Home button to exit to Android and 'shut down' the whole box by unplugging the adapter and upon restart Kodi goes into that 'preparing for first run'

I really wish we could get some proper shutdown on this box. However so far it survived nightly shutdowns like that as I don't keep it running 24/7

Funny thing is, if after Kodi starts up from that 'first run', in Android Settings for Kodi app it right away reports 66.19MB in the cache and clearing it makes it go to 12KB... but the first run of Kodi always fills the cache right away back to those 66MB and it doesn't go up much with watching movies and that's why I think this Cache is not the cache which is used to buffer the movie stream into.