Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhamultun

Has mine died

No power light...can't turn it on...tried unplugging, hard reset...checked pwr supply, says 12V on it, but it is giving 21V ??? Weird...tried my another 12V power supply from my lab setup and it also doesn't work with that one connected. Any help diagnosing the issue appreciated.

I went to check my P/S with normal multimeter and it reads 12.35 V. Supplies can give more (sometimes 12V can actually give 16V when not under load, also devices don't really need exactly 12V but are able to work just fine within some reasonable range) but 21V seems to be a bit too much, don't quite see how that could happen either unless there is some electronic circuit inside the adapter regulating the voltage down to 12V? Typically though these adapters have just transformer inside.

I am not sure if the box has some fuse inside, never had it opened. Check if you have any way to have the box replaced?

That eight legged chip definitely looks cooked. As to voltage, I measured it unplugged from atv box, directly on the plug. I see you get 16V when plugged in, maybe there is some load on the p/s from the box and unplugged it might have those 21V? Good to see you have some knowledge of these things, like load on p/s etc. I only have rudimentary knowledge of electronics, nothing terribly deep.

Keep us posted how resoldering of the chip went, sometimes the commercial solder on pcb is the kind that is hard to desolder at home. Speaking of the soldering, I just got the idea if the better way to replace the chip would be to cut off its legs near the case of the chip and solder the new chip onto the leg remains of the old chip...

Anyway, didn't see the box opened yet, thanks for the picture. I just tried to get inside my box to look but not sure how to open it, which screws you need to remove and how does it open? Just three screws on the back and two on the bottom? Or even those other three screws among the RCA plugs?

You need to take the three top screws off the back and the two on the bottom near the front. Carefully take the front cover off, it is attached to board with ribbon cables. This will allow you to see how the top snaps in place. Carefully pry off the top and voila. If you want to take the board out there are three screws holding the board down and three that hold the RCA and audio jacks. Good Luck and I'll keep you posted on my hopefully successful repair...