Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

82mustang

kodi 14.2 to 15.1 -How To?

i have been trying to upgrade Kodi to 15.1 through the google store but the only options are to Install which just launches Kodi 14.2. Has anyone upgraded from 14.2 to 15.1 and how did you perform the upgrade? step by step would be appreciated.

I have done this, but not sure how good my steps to do it would be. I have a purchased copy of Titanium backup (TB) that I use on all my devices. TB allows you to uninstall *anything* including system apps (which I believe is how Kodi is currently on our boxes). So I use that to uninstall the 14.x version (mine was 14.1 I was never able to get to 14.2).

So I simply uninstall (I make a backup as well - just in case - with TB), and then go to the play store and install 15.1.

That's my steps FWIW.

Mygica has certain apps baked into the firmware. If it misses them it reinstalls them. This can be proven by uninstalling some random app you never use like Adobe or such (settings/more (or advanced, I forget which) apps/press the app and on the right you will see Uninstall. Uninstall the random app then turn your box off then back on. It will reinstall.

To uninstall 14.1 do the same thing, then install 15.x from either the Play Store or sideloaded it from Kodi.tv

If you go into the settings part of the launcher and click on Manage Apps, find KODI and uninstall it

Then go into the Play Store and look for KODI, you will find KODI 15.1 on there just install it through there.

This is the second post I read in which it is suggested by mygica staff to update kodi/xbmc from google play... In the other post (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2582&p=9681&hilit=dual+core+kodi+mygica#p9681), a user points out that the mygica customized version is optimized for mygica products, which the mygica staff then confirms.

So, what is the actual difference between the kodi/xbmc versions on Google play and those branded "mygica edition" that come loaded with the firmware?