Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Killavolt

My sound stopped working

I picked up this box about a week ago and since I've had it the sound has been a tiny bit crackly.

I was watching modern family and all was well, the episode ended and I went to the next episode and there was no sound. I checked a couple of other sources and there was either no sound at all, or the sound was very choppy.

I started looking through other movies and shows and the same thing would happen. I unplugged the box and rebooted it and the issue still persisted.

Thinking that maybe it was just Kodi I tried Mobdro and had the exact same results with anything I tried to watch there as well, so the issue applies to the box as a whole it would seem.

is there anything I can do to try and solve this problem?

so it would seem that when trying to watch a specific episode of modern family it would cause the audio to stop working across the entire box.

if I reboot/unplug the box the sound will come back unless I try to watch that episode again, and then the audio goes out again.

it was 5.1 . This is actually happening on anything I watch that has 5.1 audio.

Do you have the HDMI cable connected directly to your TV or through a Stereo receiver?

It's connected directly to my TV. There is Toslink/Optical audio cable that runs from my TV to my receiver.

Have you tried connecting the Optical audio cable directly to the 1800?

Then in the Android settings, under advanced. Switching the Digital Audio output to SPDIF?

I use this HDMI cable for my PS4 also, and my TV only has optical out so it's the only way to get surround sound on my PS4 when it's connected directly to my TV.

If I connect the optical cable to the box then I also have to have to swap it with the HDMI cable when I plug in my PS4, and deending on how I swap it I'd end up not being able to use my Astro A50's :)

I use this HDMI cable for my PS4 also, and my TV only has optical out so it's the only way to get surround sound on my PS4 when it's connected directly to my TV.

If I connect the optical cable to the box then I also have to have to swap it with the HDMI cable when I plug in my PS4, and deending on how I swap it I'd end up not being able to use my Astro A50's :)

If you connect the optical cable directly from the 1800 to your stereo receiver and then have the HDMI Cable connected to your TV directly

Your stereo receiver will only output the sound and your TV will output the video.

Same thing goes for the PS4.

It sounds like maybe your TV might have a certain setting that needs to be turned on in order to direct the audio directly to your Stereo receiver.

My audio receiver has one HDMI output and 3 HDMI inputs. They're all full with my xbox, BD player, and Bell Fibe receiver.

so the audio receiver strips the audio from the HDMI ports and sends it to the speakers.

Since there are no other ports to plug my PS4 into, it has to be connected directly to my TV which means I'd only get audio from TV when playing PS4 unless I use the TV's optical audio output to my audio receiver like I currently do.

Because I swap the HDMI between my PS4 and the MyGica box, the box passes the audio through my TV like my PS4 does.

My audio receiver has one HDMI output and 3 HDMI inputs. They're all full with my xbox, BD player, and Bell Fibe receiver.

so the audio receiver strips the audio from the HDMI ports and sends it to the speakers.

Since there are no other ports to plug my PS4 into, it has to be connected directly to my TV which means I'd only get audio from TV when playing PS4 unless I use the TV's optical audio output to my audio receiver like I currently do.

Because I swap the HDMI between my PS4 and the MyGica box, the box passes the audio through my TV like my PS4 does.

Sorry but I am a little confused by this

Do you mean that audio for your PS4 works with optical from TV to stereo receiver, but when using it with MyGica the same way it does not?

no I was just trying to descrive how it's all connected.

the main problem is that if I watch something on Kodi that has 5.1ch audio, it kills the audio on the entire box until I reboot it.

I also can't seem to use stereo upmix so anything I do watch is always only in 2ch audio.

no I was just trying to descrive how it's all connected.

the main problem is that if I watch something on Kodi that has 5.1ch audio, it kills the audio on the entire box until I reboot it.

I also can't seem to use stereo upmix so anything I do watch is always only in 2ch audio.

Are you able to try having the optical cable directly connected to your mygica?

You will have to change the settings within Android to SPDIF in order to try this properly.

If you go to the settings part of the main menu, and click on Wifi, then move over to advanced you will see DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT, once you click on this you will see SPDIF as an option.

Let me know if you still get the same issue when viewing 5.1 audio within KODI.

I can try connecting the MyGica box directly to my receiver with an optical cable, but it isn't something I can do permanently unless I sacrifice surround sound on my PS4.

because both my PS4 and MyGica are directly connected to my TV via HDMI port that they both share, if I remove the optical cable from my TVs optical output then only the MyGica will have audio output through my receiver, and my PS4 sound will be output through my TV speakers.

so yes, I can test it, but I can't leave it hooked up that way.

I can try connecting the MyGica box directly to my receiver with an optical cable, but it isn't something I can do permanently unless I sacrifice surround sound on my PS4.

because both my PS4 and MyGica are directly connected to my TV via HDMI port that they both share, if I remove the optical cable from my TVs optical output then only the MyGica will have audio output through my receiver, and my PS4 sound will be output through my TV speakers.

so yes, I can test it, but I can't leave it hooked up that way.

Ok just let me know what happens after you try it

Hi ,

I had the similar issues with 5.1 audio. In Kodi audio setup change from 5.1 to 2.0. The setting has to be used only we used Analog audio connections.

For HDMI passthrough setting the above setting matters.

After changing from 5.1 to 2.0 its working fine. It will shows as PCM or DTS or Dolby Digital based on your audio stream.

Pls try the option and let me know if it resolves the issues.

Cheers

Koushik

Hi ,

I had the similar issues with 5.1 audio. In Kodi audio setup change from 5.1 to 2.0. The setting has to be used only we used Analog audio connections.

For HDMI passthrough setting the above setting matters.

After changing from 5.1 to 2.0 its working fine. It will shows as PCM or DTS or Dolby Digital based on your audio stream.

Pls try the option and let me know if it resolves the issues.

Cheers

Koushik

Thanks for sharing this