MyGica Support

1900AC/1800E 5.1 Firmware November 23 2016

Just now, Otherworld said:

Awesome ! Thank you.

Any timelines available? 

Also, it would be great to get an instructional video to go with the update unless it is being sent out OTA.

We fixed this issue on 1900 PRO and 495 PRO

After speaking to my team over the weekend, we cannot fix it on the 1800E/1900AC till after Chinese New Years, since their office closes after tomorrow for 2 weeks.

I think once the fix is ready, we will send it OTA.
If not, then I will get a how to video explaining how to do it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Justin said:

We fixed this issue on 1900 PRO and 495 PRO

After speaking to my team over the weekend, we cannot fix it on the 1800E/1900AC till after Chinese New Years, since their office closes after tomorrow for 2 weeks.

I think once the fix is ready, we will send it OTA.
If not, then I will get a how to video explaining how to do it.

Great news! Thank you very much Justin. 

I look forward to the update.

Followed your helpful  instructions and applied the update files to my 1800e and everything works great. Now at lollipop 5.1 with Krypton 17.0  and no issues. Thanks for your hard work and commitment.

• Like 1

I finally got around to updating my 1800e, wasn't in a rush as 4.4 was working fine for me but wanted to be able to use Krypton 17 in the future.  Anyway, the upgrade wasn't smooth as it stopped half way through and I had to pull the power and reboot the box.  The box came back up again and finished the upgrade without any further issues.  I also had the same issue when applying the Root patch.

So far so good, no problems at all with 5.1 and not getting the black screen issue when waking it up from standby. :)

Good job MyGica!

FBN

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 11:38 AM, FlyByNight said:

I finally got around to updating my 1800e, wasn't in a rush as 4.4 was working fine for me but wanted to be able to use Krypton 17 in the future.  Anyway, the upgrade wasn't smooth as it stopped half way through and I had to pull the power and reboot the box.  The box came back up again and finished the upgrade without any further issues.  I also had the same issue when applying the Root patch.

So far so good, no problems at all with 5.1 and not getting the black screen issue when waking it up from standby. :)

Good job MyGica!

FBN

Good to hear

But may I know what the issue is exactly with applying the root patch?

On 23/01/2017 at 1:02 PM, Justin said:

Will have to get this fixed then.

My old Samsung S2 did the same thing after an upgrade, they wanted it back to fix it.

MAC addresses are supposed to be hard coded, a software update should have no effect.

I am hopeful for a fix but I won't hold my breath.

On 1/29/2017 at 9:10 AM, emetib said:

My old Samsung S2 did the same thing after an upgrade, they wanted it back to fix it.

MAC addresses are supposed to be hard coded, a software update should have no effect.

I am hopeful for a fix but I won't hold my breath.

I seen this here with units we have.

So it will get fixed.

• Like 1

I currently own both a 1900ac and an 1800e.

I applied the update to both boxes. On the 1900ac everything updated without any disruptions. On the 100 I had to pull the power just once then it finished the update.

I had disconnected the ethernet on both during the firmware update.

I applied the "root"update as well. However I did not install anything else from the Playstore to apply to the root update.

A silly question if I may. I am just using both boxes strictly for Kodi. Does having root access benefit me in anyway when purely using both boxes for Kodi. I am not into gaming, and I do not use either boxes as a PC. I have also Uninstaller just about everything I could that is not required for Kodi. 

Can anyone enlighten me on why I would need root access in this instance.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Hope42 said:

I currently own both a 1900ac and an 1800e.

I applied the update to both boxes. On the 1900ac everything updated without any disruptions. On the 100 I had to pull the power just once then it finished the update.

I had disconnected the ethernet on both during the firmware update.

I applied the "root"update as well. However I did not install anything else from the Playstore to apply to the root update.

A silly question if I may. I am just using both boxes strictly for Kodi. Does having root access benefit me in anyway when purely using both boxes for Kodi. I am not into gaming, and I do not use either boxes as a PC. I have also Uninstaller just about everything I could that is not required for Kodi. 

Can anyone enlighten me on why I would need root access in this instance.

Thanks

Most people do not need root access. One previous benefit to root was having "quickboot" which allowed for a full reset of the system which cleared the cache. We now have a manual way of doing that by pressing the paint brush in the bottom left of the home screen.

Only certain people need root, which is why we provide it. The fact is though, more apps work from the google play without issue when it is not rooted.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 3:40 PM, Justin said:

Good to hear

But may I know what the issue is exactly with applying the root patch?

As I recall the root patch froze during the installation.  I pulled the power connector on the back and inserted it again after about 10 seconds or so.  The unit powered up to the home screen,  I checked to see if the unit was rooted and it was.

FBN

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyByNight said:

As I recall the root patch froze during the installation.  I pulled the power connector on the back and inserted it again after about 10 seconds or so.  The unit powered up to the home screen,  I checked to see if the unit was rooted and it was.

FBN

Ok thanks for the feedback

May I know if you loaded it using USB or SD card?

1 hour ago, darbsrewop said:

Any update on the black screen patch for the 1800e using this? Would I get different results running the .rar factor files vs. the upgrade?

Thanks

Our teams back at work next Wed.

So I will have a status update shortly after that

Hi Justin

ATV1800e was being updated with new firmware. The unit froze up half way through the update and I left it for an hour, but nothing changed. Powered down and tried to power up normally, Black screen only with green LED on front of the box. Tried to reload the firmware by pushing and holding the update button on the back and applying power, but no joy. TV remains black screen, green LED solid and nothing happens. The only thing that seems to do anything is if I hold the power button on the front of the unit, the green LED will turn off after about 10 seconds. The power button then does nothing until I pull the DC in and start the whole procedure again.

I read somewhere about having to reload the original firmware with a USB cable that plugs in inside the box.

Has anyone got any ideas or is this a send back for repair.

Help me Justin. Thanks!

Edited by hungpt

On 03/02/2017 at 11:40 AM, Justin said:

Ok thanks for the feedback

May I know if you loaded it using USB or SD card?

Used a USB for patch and update to 5.1.

FBN

On 2017-02-03 at 11:40 AM, Justin said:

Our teams back at work next Wed.

So I will have a status update shortly after that

Will they be removing the hotplug governor and use something else?  It's brutally slow especially on boot.  Tons of stuttering.

40 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Will they be removing the hotplug governor and use something else?  It's brutally slow especially on boot.  Tons of stuttering.

Not sure what this means?

14 hours ago, FlyByNight said:

Used a USB for patch and update to 5.1.

FBN

This might be the issue.

I get the same issue with USB, but not with SD card.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Not sure what this means?

They turn off 2 of the cpu cores with hotplug (the cpu governor).  If they change the cpu governor to performance or interactive all cores are active and ramp up in speed as needed.  Everything is more responsive...boot up is faster...going into apps or loading or installing apps is faster...with hotplug, the cores are set with lower power and turned off.  Performance on my 1900ac is brutally slow.

53 minutes ago, madmitch said:

They turn off 2 of the cpu cores with hotplug (the cpu governor).  If they change the cpu governor to performance or interactive all cores are active and ramp up in speed as needed.  Everything is more responsive...boot up is faster...going into apps or loading or installing apps is faster...with hotplug, the cores are set with lower power and turned off.  Performance on my 1900ac is brutally slow.

Thanks for the description

I can only ask and see what they say, based on this info you have given.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:01 AM, madmitch said:

On 12/7/2016 at 1:07 PM, madmitch said:

And how do you change the CPU Scaling Governor from Hotplug to Performance?

Once rooted I install NSTools its a free app that lets you change the CPU Scaling Governor. I set mine to interactive its like performance and keeps all cores active but allows the cores to idle lower when not active to reduce heat. When the CPU power is needed they all ramp up. Since i rooted and set to interactive with a min of 600 mhz on interactive the unit is WAY faster.  Hot plug stops cores as much as possible to save power and idles them as low as possible this is not a good setting for a always plugged in and always on android box as the unit uses a power brick and will draw the same power if its on or off.

here is the link for what i use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.cyann.nstools&hl=en

here is the description of the governors I spoke of : (There are over 100 Governors )

8: Interactive:

Interactive scales the clockspeed over the course of a timer set by the kernel developer (or user). In other words, if an application demands a ramp to maximum clockspeed (by placing 100% load on the CPU), a user can execute another task before the governor starts reducing CPU frequency. Because of this timer, Interactive is also better prepared to utilize intermediate clockspeeds that fall between the minimum and maximum CPU frequencies. It is significantly more responsive than OnDemand, because it's faster at scaling to maximum frequency.

Interactive also makes the assumption that a user turning the screen on will shortly be followed by the user interacting with some application on their device. Because of this, screen on triggers a ramp to maximum clockspeed, followed by the timer behavior described above. 

Interactive is the default governor of choice for today's smartphone and tablet manufacturers.

3: Performance:

The performance governor locks the phone's CPU at maximum frequency. 

21: Hotplug:

The Hotplug governor performs very similarly to the OnDemand governor, with the added benefit of being more precise about how it steps down through the kernel's frequency table as the governor measures the user's CPU load. However, the Hotplug governor's defining feature is its ability to turn unused CPU cores off during periods of low CPU utilization. This is known as "hotplugging."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, no12nv said:

Once rooted I install NSTools its a free app that lets you change the CPU Scaling Governor. I set mine to interactive its like performance and keeps all cores active but allows the cores to idle lower when not active to reduce heat. When the CPU power is needed they all ramp up. Since i rooted and set to interactive with a min of 600 mhz on interactive the unit is WAY faster.  Hot plug stops cores as much as possible to save power and idles them as low as possible this is not a good setting for a always plugged in and always on android box as the unit uses a power brick and will draw the same power if its on or off.

here is the link for what i use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.cyann.nstools&hl=en

here is the description of the governors I spoke of : (There are over 100 Governors )

8: Interactive:

Interactive scales the clockspeed over the course of a timer set by the kernel developer (or user). In other words, if an application demands a ramp to maximum clockspeed (by placing 100% load on the CPU), a user can execute another task before the governor starts reducing CPU frequency. Because of this timer, Interactive is also better prepared to utilize intermediate clockspeeds that fall between the minimum and maximum CPU frequencies. It is significantly more responsive than OnDemand, because it's faster at scaling to maximum frequency.

Interactive also makes the assumption that a user turning the screen on will shortly be followed by the user interacting with some application on their device. Because of this, screen on triggers a ramp to maximum clockspeed, followed by the timer behavior described above. 

Interactive is the default governor of choice for today's smartphone and tablet manufacturers.

3: Performance:

The performance governor locks the phone's CPU at maximum frequency. 

21: Hotplug:

The Hotplug governor performs very similarly to the OnDemand governor, with the added benefit of being more precise about how it steps down through the kernel's frequency table as the governor measures the user's CPU load. However, the Hotplug governor's defining feature is its ability to turn unused CPU cores off during periods of low CPU utilization. This is known as "hotplugging."

Thanks for sharing this

I have already passed along your original post on this

So I hope to implement it in our next update.

• Like 1

hi

There are 2 problems I have with this is that I shouldn't have to install other software to bring up performance.  The previous firmware didn't have hotplug.  It was set to performance by default.

The second problem is that the software, NSTool settings doesn't stay.  It doesn't matter if you reboot or not.  Change the cpu governor to whatever you want, adjust the speed of the governor, run kodi or whatever and then check the speed with cpuz and then go back to NSTool and check to see what the speed of the CPU Governor is .  You'll see it has adjusted itself.  It's not what you have set it to.  Even if you save the profile and load it, it eventually changes.

As a consumer, I shouldn't have to manually adjust the speed.  It seems they are releasing firmware to cripple performance for the sake of having people upgrade to a new box (almost like Apple and Nvidia do to get people to buy newer hardware).

I've reverted to Feb firmware to gain the faster speed but also get the other problems that Nov firmware fixed.  When will we get proper firmware that has performance cpu governor with all the fixes?