Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhoenixIce

Latest Kodi 16.1 build

Latest Kodi 16.1 build

I've been running 5.1 since it released, works great for me.

I was running the latest Play Store version of 16.1 without issues, but I saw Kodi 17 released so I updated through the Play Store. After a few minutes of testing, seems Dolby Digital passthrough doesn't function properly. Reading Kodi forums, seems they're changing to official API support for this release and seems we might be left out of luck.

Unless MyGica support knows for sure this is supposed to work, I recommend you backup your API for Kodi 16 in case you decide to try the new release.  If support has ideas for Kodi 17, I'm willing to try stuff, but the issue was the audio would flip back and forth between Dolby and stereo every second or so.

The issue here is KODI is moving to the Official Mediaplayer Codecs Google follows for their Android release of KODI 17.
This affects a lot of Android devices, since a lot of them use their own codecs for Audio and Video.

Our chipset supplier, AMLogic is supposed to update to these once the switch is made.

So this should get fixed in time.

I thought that I would add, if you're running KitKat-4.4 with Kodi-16.0 (that's what I'm running from the stock files downloaded from this forum), then Kodi is no longer visible on the Google Play Store because Google's Kodi is at 17.0+ and it says it is "not compatible with your device" (being KitKat).

I did however download the .apk file for  Kodi-16.1 (Jarvis) for ARM directly from the Kodi website, dropped it onto a USB key, and using AppInstaller on my 1800E it found the file on the USB key and installed/updated Kodi to 16.1 in 30 seconds flat, kept all my settings and library configuration, and resolved a number of stability issues. Works like a charm.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:59 PM, dillyhammer said:

I thought that I would add, if you're running KitKat-4.4 with Kodi-16.0 (that's what I'm running from the stock files downloaded from this forum), then Kodi is no longer visible on the Google Play Store because Google's Kodi is at 17.0+ and it says it is "not compatible with your device" (being KitKat).

I did however download the .apk file for  Kodi-16.1 (Jarvis) for ARM directly from the Kodi website, dropped it onto a USB key, and using AppInstaller on my 1800E it found the file on the USB key and installed/updated Kodi to 16.1 in 30 seconds flat, kept all my settings and library configuration, and resolved a number of stability issues. Works like a charm.

HI there, can you post link to that file please coz I found one and I get parsing error

30 minutes ago, bhuvi100x said:

HI there, can you post link to that file please coz I found one and I get parsing error

This should be the latest APK of 16.1

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/xbmc-foundation/kodi/kodi-16-1-release/kodi-16-1-3-android-apk-download/

Again sorry if I'm not supposed to post links, but since Kodi 17 doesn't work well with our devices, I figured it was ok to help get users working! :)

38 minutes ago, Justin said:

Here is 16.1 that I have, it came directly from Kodi.tv's website 

It should work, as I have used it on a lot of boxes without issues.

kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk

That is the file I used as well, right from the Kodi site. Works perfectly.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/old/kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk

31 minutes ago, PhoenixIce said:

@Justin, any updates from AMLogic to get us correct codecs, so we can upgrade to Kodi 17/17.1 and have it function properly?

We created our own Kodi 17

Can be found here

On 4/3/2017 at 5:41 PM, Justin said:

We created our own Kodi 17

Can be found here

What is the current status of MMC? I'm holding out for your version based off Kodi-17.1, as 17.0 is not very stable.

On 4/27/2017 at 11:04 AM, dillyhammer said:

What is the current status of MMC? I'm holding out for your version based off Kodi-17.1, as 17.0 is not very stable.

No confirmed date at this time.
Still working on it

Sorry I do not really give dates any more for releases.

3 hours ago, Justin said:

No confirmed date at this time.
Still working on it

Sorry I do not really give dates any more for releases.

I don't blame you for not giving dates. :)

"Still working on it" is all I needed to know. I'm in no hurry.

Thanks.

Just now, dillyhammer said:

I don't blame you for not giving dates. :)

"Still working on it" is all I needed to know. I'm in no hurry.

Thanks.

Ok thanks for your understanding

On 5/1/2017 at 3:15 PM, Justin said:

Ok thanks for your understanding

I wanted to come back here and add the following.

I went back to KitKat-4.4.2 and Kodi-16.1 on my 1800e, but we've recently began having problems with Kodi add-ons that use/depend on Youtube.

Basically, Kodi began crashing upon first access of any new stream, be that a Youtube video or movie trailer. Kodi crashes to the home screen. Going back and playing that same stream a second time works fine. I have no real idea why this started happening, but I'd like to hazard a guess.

Youtube now requires SSL/HTTPS. Kodi-16.x accesses HTTP, and when Youtube flips the stream over to secure mode Kodi crashes, but caches the URL. The next time the stream is played the URL is resolved from the cache, no flip over. I'm talking through my hat here, but that's my best guess.

The real reason I wanted to come back and post here is, the MyGica Media Center app, based off Kodi-17.0, fixes this issue. Since  Kodi-17.0 supports SSL/HTTPS access to youtube out of the box, no more crashes. And while I was a bit reluctant to go with 17.0 because of my experience with it on the Lollipop upgrade on my 1800e, I'm not seeing any of that instability at all. MyGica, which looks and acts EXACTLY like Kodi-17.0, works like a charm. :)

Hey @Justin, any updates on the audio passthrough issue with Kodi 17?  I tried your release of MMC and have the same issue.  While turning off passthrough for the same video does provide audio, it kinda sucks not having the proper full surround.  I didn't try the latest Kodi 17.1 or is it (17.3?) now to see, as I didn't want to lose my setup and have to redo it all again (yes I did a backup before, but it didn't work properly for some reason).  Kodi 16.1 works for these files as previously mentioned.

If you have a copy of MMC that's even currently in testing, I'd be happy to test it out to see if it works for my issue and others.

1 hour ago, PhoenixIce said:

Hey @Justin, any updates on the audio passthrough issue with Kodi 17?  I tried your release of MMC and have the same issue.  While turning off passthrough for the same video does provide audio, it kinda sucks not having the proper full surround.  I didn't try the latest Kodi 17.1 or is it (17.3?) now to see, as I didn't want to lose my setup and have to redo it all again (yes I did a backup before, but it didn't work properly for some reason).  Kodi 16.1 works for these files as previously mentioned.

If you have a copy of MMC that's even currently in testing, I'd be happy to test it out to see if it works for my issue and others.

I have some other issues with the 17.0 version of MMC.

While it cured the crashing in the Youtube plugin in Kodi-16.1 , playing certain files results in a jittery video playback.

So I'm actually using both, MMC-17.0 for certain add-ons, and Kodi-16.1 for local playback.

Waiting patiently... this shouldn't be so inconvenient.

In the meantime, this 1800e being a few years old now, I'm waiting for the new 19xx product to be released.

== sigh == The price one pays for being an early adopter.   :)

On 5/25/2017 at 4:34 PM, PhoenixIce said:

Have you tried SPMC?
This is a very good fork of KODI

They have passthrough working without issues.