Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick White

March update - Eshare Server

For the most part I am very happy with the March update.

However one thing really bugs me; We have no ability to disable or uninstall the Eshare Server app.

I have no desire to always have this app running all the time and in fact don't want it at all. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Please always give us total control over what apps get installed.

On 4/25/2017 at 3:18 AM, Rick White said:

However one thing really bugs me; We have no ability to disable or uninstall the Eshare Server app.

I have no desire to always have this app running all the time and in fact don't want it at all. Is there a way to get rid of it?

This is a feature based app that we provided to all customers of the 495 PRO and 1900 PRO.
It is worth about $5 USD per box

All of its features can be found here
http://www.ee-share.com/features/

When you try to uninstall it, or force stop the app
What happens?

You can't uninstall it or disable it (like other pre-installed apps).   All you can do is force stop it.

Force stop works fine until you reboot your box and then it restarts all over again.

I do appreciate the idea behind the app and I am sure many people are very happy to have it, but would love if possible to be given the ability to disable/enable it.   Just something to keep in mind if it is an easy change to make.

UPDATE:   There does seem to be a glitch with this March OTA update.  I am not sure yet if it is caused by force stopping the E-Share server (will need to test more) or if it is a bug in the update itself.

Sometimes when I go into the MyGica store there is a glitch that causes the list of apps to not scroll properly.   Instead of the list of apps scrolling with the remote the "desktop" in the background scrolls.  The MyGica store seems to get confused about what the active top layer is.   A reboot of the box fixes this for a while.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:45 PM, Rick White said:

You can't uninstall it or disable it (like other pre-installed apps).   All you can do is force stop it.

Force stop works fine until you reboot your box and then it restarts all over again.

I do appreciate the idea behind the app and I am sure many people are very happy to have it, but would love if possible to be given the ability to disable/enable it.   Just something to keep in mind if it is an easy change to make.

I will have to ask our guys to see if this is possible.

But may I know why you want to disable it?

Just like with my phone and my computer it is just habit to disable any apps that are not being used.    Nobody wants software running in the background that you aren't using taking up system resources.

Also for me, any software I don't have use for is just another potential security threat.

On 5/7/2017 at 6:01 PM, Rick White said:

Just like with my phone and my computer it is just habit to disable any apps that are not being used.    Nobody wants software running in the background that you aren't using taking up system resources.

Also for me, any software I don't have use for is just another potential security threat.

So you want to be able to disable it and not force stop it?

Yes, a disable feature would be nice if not too much difficulty.  Usually on apps like this you can disable it so it doesn't automatically run the next time you reboot.   With the force stop the app restarts with a system reboot.

21 hours ago, Rick White said:

Yes, a disable feature would be nice if not too much difficulty.  Usually on apps like this you can disable it so it doesn't automatically run the next time you reboot.   With the force stop the app restarts with a system reboot.

Ok

I will see if this can be implemented

I just bought my ATV495PRO and agree that it is annoying to have EShare and bloatware running all the time.  In general, I don't want to disable apps permanently, but to control when I want to run them.

I now use "Startup Manager (Free)" to stop EShare and other irrelevant apps from starting on my rooted ATV495PRO.  Since EShare is preinstalled, I am not sure if this will work on a non-rooted box, so you can just try and see.

On 9/16/2017 at 5:48 PM, wcs2229 said:

I just bought my ATV495PRO and agree that it is annoying to have EShare and bloatware running all the time.  In general, I don't want to disable apps permanently, but to control when I want to run them.

I now use "Startup Manager (Free)" to stop EShare and other irrelevant apps from starting on my rooted ATV495PRO.  Since EShare is preinstalled, I am not sure if this will work on a non-rooted box, so you can just try and see.

It auto runs because it is a System app, we use it as a System app so we can update it very easily.

It doesn't use a lot of RAM when running, but as you mentioned their are ways to stop it from running.

Was wondering if the Estate Server issue about disabling has another way to disable besides using Start Manager free. I downloaded Bell Fibe Tv and it does not work with Estate Server or any other mirroring app. Start Manager Free doesn't always work for me.

Since EShare is a System app, you probably have to root your box (like I have) to get privileges to disable it.

I don't understand what you are trying to do with mirroring Bell Fibe TV.

On 4/25/2017 at 10:18 AM, Rick White said:

It was a temporary issue, and they fixed it quickly as much as I remember. I don't know if it was a common thing, but it happened to a few other forums at the same time, and they crushed for a while. I'm not that confident in NS servers anymore, and this made me think about a dedicated server usa because these servers are designed to serve as a dedicated system for one user and are also very reliable. As much as I know, there are multiple advantages over a virtual server, so I'm very impatient to put it to the test.