Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Louis Heim

MyGica ATV1900 Pro DRM partnership with DSTV Now

Hi

As South African users we are unable to install the DSTV Now app as it is incompatible with the device. DSTV Now suggests that it will be supported once a DRM partnership has been established. With more and more of us buying this device, we respectfully ask that you establish said relationship so that we can also view our digital tv subscription using the myGica box.

I support the request. Disappointing

On 06/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, Louis Heim said:

Hi

As South African users we are unable to install the DSTV Now app as it is incompatible with the device. DSTV Now suggests that it will be supported once a DRM partnership has been established. With more and more of us buying this device, we respectfully ask that you establish said relationship so that we can also view our digital tv subscription using the myGica box.

I also support this request.

The boxes comes with an  ICASA approval sticker on the wrapping meaning they should be conforming to the South African market. The advert on the MyGica website also states that it supports DSTV Now.  I suggest that the MyGica crew get the DRM partnership established with DSTV as soon as possible. If nothing happens, I am sure the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) will gladly revoke the authorization given and recall all of the MiGica boxes sold in South Africa for a full refund by the manufacturer.

image.thumb.png.d1cb1ed18282da8f1c167235ea89063f.png.0355d743c9e805602c863c7bccfda2a8.png

I believe ICASA approval and DSTV Now support are separate matters.

ICASA is concerned about compliance to South Africa communications regulations which, in the case of MyGica devices, would appear to apply only to the WiFi hardware:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Communications_Authority_of_South_Africa

https://www.ellipsis.co.za/type-approval/

It is doubtful that the ICASA sticker tests and certifies DSTV Now or any other application support, which likely falls under consumer protection against false advertising.

If you still believe otherwise, then by all means, you should file a complaint with ICASA.  You may also request a refund from the vendor of your unit.

Hi everyone, 

DSTV have been ripping us off for ages unchallenged. This whole mygica issue lies with dstv, they want total control. They dont want to give us freedom to choose how we wanna watch the content we pay a fckn grand for every month like poepols that we are. See, if they allow this freedom,then we'll share our login details with friends & family & share the bill.

Here's where they losing customers to netflix who charge less, give you the content to choose, and they dont care if you share your login with friends or family, because so long as you as the customer feel like you're not getting ripped off, you will end up staying loyal & probably wont be compelled to cheat by sharing your subscription. Remember, you could also use a private vpn to get international content on Netflix which is basically illegal,but they wont actively seek you out & stop you because your business means more to them than blocking you & frustrating you to the point where you turn to illegal torrents in which case everyone loses out (including you for running a high virus risk on yourself).

I personally can't wait to see the outcome of the current legal battle between multichoice & netflix. Netflix are in a win win situation in my opinion.

I bloody hate these thieves for what they do to us.. your thoughts?

On 11/24/2017 at 7:12 PM, Iaan Crous said:

I also support this request.

The boxes comes with an  ICASA approval sticker on the wrapping meaning they should be conforming to the South African market. The advert on the MyGica website also states that it supports DSTV Now.  I suggest that the MyGica crew get the DRM partnership established with DSTV as soon as possible. If nothing happens, I am sure the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) will gladly revoke the authorization given and recall all of the MiGica boxes sold in South Africa for a full refund by the manufacturer.

image.thumb.png.d1cb1ed18282da8f1c167235ea89063f.png.0355d743c9e805602c863c7bccfda2a8.png

Good day

Multichoice’s decision to remove uncertified android media player support in the industry was a decision they made on their own, and without notifying manufacturers – MyGica and Multichoice are two completely separate entities and are not bound to services with one another.  We are therefore unable to affect their decisions in terms of policies and protocol, and are not responsible for any changes they make to their own broadcasting platforms.  This is why we do not sell this as a Netflix, DSTV, Amazon Prime or Hulu device, they are promoted as Android Media Players.  We will showcase application compatibility at the time of sale/print of advertisement, but we cannot, and will never, guarantee compatibility with something that doesn’t operate under the MyGica family umbrella or offerings – in this instance, the DSTV Now application.

When MC made the decision to stop supporting these devices, Mygica did not abandon their customers, both Mygica and the Local Distributor (syntech) worked hard to get a work around or patches made available, however DSTV has made a point of it to block, and prevent any of the older APKs and work arounds from working on uncertified devices.
There was a work around posted on the SA Mygica FAQ page ( mygica.co.za/faq/ ), that actually worked until End of June. However, after the last DSTV Now update that requires an OTP  to verify the correct version is installed, this work around is no longer viable.

We are constantly testing different APK's, work arounds, and patches to get the application work on the legacy devices, however at this time, there is only one mygica that is compatible with DSTV Now - The ATV495Max.

Also, the Icasa certification has absolutely nothing to do with Multichoice or DSTV Now.
Icasa is for the wireless / radio compliance, which mygica is fully certified for.
The only certification DSTV Requires from Mygica is a full google certification, and that the device(s) runs Android TV OS 6 or newer, which at the moment only the ATV495Max has (in South Africa)

regards