Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RVFmal

Device Uncertified - Google Play

Device Uncertified - Google Play

Please advise why the Google Play store states that my ATV495 PRO is not certified. Given this, I cannot install or use GP installed applications anymore.

As stated in other topics, this device is not Google Certified. Mygica posted they will be releasing new hardware soon...

Wonder if they will "swap out" our existing boxes which we paid for? 

3 hours ago, Bucks_Fizz said:

As stated in other topics, this device is not Google Certified. Mygica posted they will be releasing new hardware soon...

Wonder if they will "swap out" our existing boxes which we paid for? 

I must have missed that somehow. Thanks for the clarification BF.

So MyGica are currently selling devices that are essentially redundant? WTaF? I assume of course that all queries related to this will go unanswered.

12 hours ago, RVFmal said:

I must have missed that somehow. Thanks for the clarification BF.

So MyGica are currently selling devices that are essentially redundant? WTaF? I assume of course that all queries related to this will go unanswered.

We're currently using thr AOSP Mobile/Tablet version of Android. Almost all other Android boxes similar to ours are using this. 

The ones not using it are listed here

Http://android.com/tv

Being Google Certified is totally seperate from just using Android. You need GMS Certification from Google in order to become Google Certified, and they do not certify devices that are TV Boxes when using AOSP version of Android. 

GMS Certification just certifies you to use Googles suite of apps, like Play Movies, Play Music, You Tube etc. 

14 hours ago, Justin said:

We're currently using thr AOSP Mobile/Tablet version of Android. Almost all other Android boxes similar to ours are using this. 

The ones not using it are listed here

Http://android.com/tv

Being Google Certified is totally seperate from just using Android. You need GMS Certification from Google in order to become Google Certified, and they do not certify devices that are TV Boxes when using AOSP version of Android. 

GMS Certification just certifies you to use Googles suite of apps, like Play Movies, Play Music, You Tube etc. 

Hi Justin

Thank you for the reply.

Might I ask as to why the manufacturers of TV Boxes such as MyGica do not use the version of Android that supports certification as opposed to AOSP.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:24 AM, RVFmal said:

Hi Justin

Thank you for the reply.

Might I ask as to why the manufacturers of TV Boxes such as MyGica do not use the version of Android that supports certification as opposed to AOSP.

The AOSP version of Android is what's used on all Mobile/Tablet devices that run Android

And we didn't use Android TV certified version before because it was never offered by Google  until about 3 months ago, as they changed their rules for certifying certain device manufacturers like ours for Android TV

They only recently started offering it earlier this year.
Up until now, only companies like ASUS + Nvidia + Xiaomi we're able to manufacturer certified Android TV devices.

Clarification, does that mean if you get the message "Device Uncertified" when you go to Google store that Kodi cannot be installed, uninstalled or updated -- as well as say Netflix, YouTube, etc? Or does this only effect a select few apps in the Google Play store? Ot can you just ignore the warning? 

Confused over this. I'm concerned that if I do a firmware update -- I wind up not being able to update Kodi, in particular.

BTW, I've really enjoyed my box. It's given me countless hours of viewing pleasure -- MyGica has proved to be a great piece of hardware and it's the best money I've ever spent. PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK (I see so many complaints here -- but I think the majority of users are having a great, positive experience with your products!)

On 4/15/2018 at 12:30 PM, mbelli said:

Clarification, does that mean if you get the message "Device Uncertified" when you go to Google store that Kodi cannot be installed, uninstalled or updated -- as well as say Netflix, YouTube, etc? Or does this only effect a select few apps in the Google Play store? Ot can you just ignore the warning? 

Confused over this. I'm concerned that if I do a firmware update -- I wind up not being able to update Kodi, in particular.

BTW, I've really enjoyed my box. It's given me countless hours of viewing pleasure -- MyGica has proved to be a great piece of hardware and it's the best money I've ever spent. PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK (I see so many complaints here -- but I think the majority of users are having a great, positive experience with your products!)

So far this message is only affecting Showmax, as they choose to have their app only work on Google Certified Devices. 

9 hours ago, Justin said:

So far this message is only affecting Showmax, as they choose to have their app only work on Google Certified Devices. 

Thought it was DSTV Now? - Is showmax affected also?

On 4/19/2018 at 11:30 AM, Bucks_Fizz said:

Thought it was DSTV Now? - Is showmax affected also?

Correct me if am wrong, as am not from South Africa

But isn't DSTV Now + Showmax owned & operated by the same company?

I only posted what I did, based on other users posts on our forum and it has been posted that both these apps have these issues.
I do not personally use any of these apps, as am based out of Canada.