Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbox1

Cannot enter Recovery Mode

Cannot enter Recovery Mode

Problem: Stuck on Lollipop screen. 😒

Read solution: press reset button at the back and plug-in power to get to recovery menu while using a formatted (fat32) sd card with the unzipped provided upgrade files (in the root directory).

Problem remains: cannot actually enter recovery menu. 😒

Thus: Still stuck on Lollipop screen and am unable to re-flash either with SD card or USBs

Any solution for getting into the Box's Recovery Menu???  (Please do not repeat hold-down reset button and plug in again - it has been done 100 x's to no avail - still won't get past Lollipop screen). 

Was working fine a few days ago - no updates/changes were made to it.

You should be able to enter recovery mode, even without an SD card inserted, not much different than any android phone.  Its a matter of the timing when you hold in the reset button in the back and apply the power before you release the reset button.  If you are going into the Lollipop screen you probably not holding the reset button long enough in order for it to go into the Recovery Screen.

I would try it again, which I am sure you have tried it many times.  I would also try to use another SD card formatted as you have FAT32.  If you have a known good SD card you should be entering into reading the files on the sd card and performing a reload of the firmware.  Like I said if you going into the Lollipop screen the device has not gone into Recovery Mode.

Good luck.. 

Thanks Hanke,

Just having someone respond makes me feel I am not alone on this. I have formatted 2 SD's to Fat 32. Each loaded with the .zip files (unzipped). 

When holding in reset (at the back) and plugging in, I go right to Lollipop screen - no waiting, no delays. From there (even after lights flash red to green 10 x's) it just stays on Lollipop. 

Do you think I can access it via USB-USB cable in order to load .img file/reset ?

I noted that on the AT1800 factory reset files there is a dd.exe and uboot_MX.exe that the readme says should be run.  I assume this is part of making the SD bootable. Is there another way to make the SD bootable (or is it needed at all?)

Dont know what to tell you.  The pic I attached is basically the files that are what you should have on the SD card which are basically from the zip file you downloaded.  I trust you are not using a large sd card, think i used 16gb, if you using a large sdcard the box may not read it properly.  I still think if you are going right to the lollipop screen your card is not being read and wont load the recovery ability.

The pic is from the zip file of the download for - 1900 PRO JAN 30 2017 March 24 17. 

atv1900pro_files.jpeg

The ATV1900 also has those 2 additional files, perhaps download the ATV1900 file, and add those two files to your sdcard, the dd.exe and the uboot_mx.exe.  Although the ATV1900pro does not have those 2 files as seen in the pic below.  You have nothing to lose to add those (2 exe files), maybe that will allow it to load and install as it should.  Good luck really cant help you with much more sorry.

Yeah its a 2 gig SD and a 4 gig SD and a 1 gig SD. All tried. All failed. Always str8 into Lollipop without so much as an instant delay.  It will make a nice addition to the trash pile.

I am sure your are doing this, but are you holding the reset button in for at least 15 seconds when applying the power before releasing the reset button?   If you are, maybe the reset button has lost its connectivity on the main board inside and might be worth a try to open the box up and look at the circuit board where the reset button is soldered to the main board.  The solder could have cracked (cold soldered joint).  If it is you will need to solder it back on to the circuit board for connectivity.   Since your always going to the Lollipop screen this could be the cause since the box is not recognizing a reset.

As it is unbootable past Lollipop right now, it won't hurt to open it up and see if the reset button is discombobulated.  If it also fails I can also pull the circuit boards and use them for high-fashion décor somewhere.

Hopefully its bad on the board!  Soldering it will make it useful again.  Just look on Google to see how you open it up.  I have done it to repair the globs on the usb ports.   Hope its bad on the board..then at least you will be able to enter recovery mode.

The solder joint on the main board may not be that noticeable...basically a hair line crack in the soldier itself, you may have to look with a magnifying glass, sometimes it is not that easily noticeable sometimes.

I shall do so. 

A follow-up question:  What do you think about a problem with the 'Stand-by' button on the front of the unit?  When it is pressed and held for 15 seconds (ish), I get a black screen and solid green light only.  Do you think the unit is stuck in 'stand-by'? 

This is the only different result from booting str8 into Lollipop that I have ever obtained.

As I am going to open it up anyway, should I make sure the front 'Stand-by' button is not engaging constantly?

I am not really sure to be on honest with you.  I do believe the latest firmware allowed standby mode to work properIy.  I thought the front button was an on/off.  Get you ohm meter out and see if the button works when you open it up.  This project may become a bit technical.  I dont have a atv1900pro but my 2 other family members do and the unit seems to work fine for them, but like anything electronic it can fail almost anytime.  These units are now pretty old and dont think mygica has even been on the forums here for well over a year or more.  I think what has happened and killed mygica is the cloned boxes...that seem to sell for $50.00 and have the most current android version on them.

Anyhow good luck with your project and hope it works out for the best.

Yeah, seems mygica itself has abandoned this type of support. I am opening it up and checking on the buttons. While I enjoyed the use of this for about 4 years, I doubt I would rebuy this brand given the problems.

Psstt.......  Hey hanke.  Guess who got it working?

Opened up everything - bridged the reboot button with a screwdriver - used the SD card formatted to boot up.  Factory restored to 1800 1st. Then 1900 update to lollipop. Now in again. 

Screw technology! Man 1: Box 0

Good to have a talking human to try things with.  My thanks.

Congratulations on getting it working!

Now you just need to re-soldier the switch on the main board so in future you can use it like it should work.  That is pretty easy, with a pencil soldiering iron, heat it up and add some more soldier to the joint and you good as new.

Glad I could help you out.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:45 PM, mbox1 said:

Psstt.......  Hey hanke.  Guess who got it working?

Opened up everything - bridged the reboot button with a screwdriver - used the SD card formatted to boot up.  Factory restored to 1800 1st. Then 1900 update to lollipop. Now in again. 

Screw technology! Man 1: Box 0

Good to have a talking human to try things with.  My thanks.

I wish I could do this with mine, as my one stopped working yesterday after 5 years of usage, its a pretty awesome device, I tried to install 7.1 firmware update but it bombed out 40% into it and now I cannot see anything on the display neither can I get to the boot menu :-( 

It seems you got into the recovery menu, so I guess your reset function is working,  Try another SDcard and follow the instructions.  It should be able to reload the firmware.  SDcard needs to be FAT32 formatted, which I am sure you did.  Not sure how many times you tried it, but make sure you watch the screen and the device.  What happened at 40%?  Maybe your power adapter is weak and your box shut down at the 40%.  Good luck.