Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jians5

Brand new ATV380 won't boot

Hey all, newbie here. Bought my first device on Saturday and I can't get it to boot. (I'm a noob with these android boxes but by no means a noob to computing)

So, first thing after I got the box is updated it to 11-05-14 firmware. Booted, tested OK. Then updated to the 03-31-15 firmware. Booted, tested OK.

I went about installing a few apps from the Google Play store, tested out all the apps and functionality, Great. When I set up Kodi, I thought I could use the Backup addon to transfer my settings over from my Windows pc, but after doing that it sort of broke Kodi (It warned me, my fault). Whatever - I did a factory reset the next day (By holding down the power button and entering recovery mode), which worked great. (Sorry, this is probably irrelevant but might as well give a full history of this 2-day old box) Then I repeated everything else above, set up Kodi manually, watched some TV shows, browsed the net. Turned the box off with the remote and went to bed.

Today upon arriving home from work the box had 1 red light on (standby?) and wasn't responding to the power button on the remote. The power button on the device didn't respond either. I power cycled it, and it's currently sitting on the Android boot screen. I can't seem to get in to recovery mode, holding the power button shuts it off and it can't be turned back on without power cycling it.

Did I do something or is this related to the new firmware? Should I exchange the box? Can I exchange the box?

A note on the ATV380: I really like this device, but the power adapter does not fit all the way in to the device and shorts and sparks with the aluminium casing while connecting or if moved. Either the motherboard power connector should be flush with the back of the device, or the power adapter should plug all the way in to it. Or get rid of the metal around it.

Managed to get in to the recovery mode by holding the power button down while plugging it in. Reinstalling November firmware...

Was planning on buying a few of these boxes for family (2 birthdays this weekend) and recommending it to friends, but now I'm not so sure.

What's going on here?

Between me and my family we have 6 boxes , some atv 380 and some ATV 582. Other then me being a newbie and not a techie, I have managed to acre up my box and with te help if the mods, recover it again. We have had no issues other than that, we are all quite happy with the boxes. My only hang up is that mods have told me to load updates through sd card, and by usb only when in recovery mode. This method has screwed up my box each and every time I have tried this method. What has been working for me is to go to the update box on the home screen and I load everything manually via USB - NOT in recovery mode. This method has been keeping it simple and pain free for me, and everything seems to be functioning correctly.

I don't mean to undermine the mods advice but I used USB to install firmware both from recovery mode and from the update utility and it worked each time.