Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jarekp

just purchased this ATV1800E... won't see my HFS+ drives

I've had the WD TV box for several years, and I had two USB hard disks connected to it, formatted on MAC, as HFS+.

Recently I've tried to play my dashboard cam 2560x1080 files, and I realized the WD TV won't handle them, so I went shopping for something newer.

I've come across this ATV1800E and just picked one up today, hoping it would solve my problem.

It does play the 2650x1080 MOVs from the camera, off my NTFS drive, just fine, but it won't see my HFS+ drives, and my intention was to replace the WD TV box, not add yet another gadget, just to be able to play the cam files.

I'm going over this board, seeing some people saying they needed to root the device, then some others saying that it is already rooted and there is no need, and I'm confused. I did install the Paragon HFS+ thingy from Google store, and also tried with a plain USB flash memory, just in case something else was a problem with my disks, but nothing formatted HFS+ works.

This box is overflowing packed with bunches of apps of completely no use for me, and at the same time it doesn't do basic stuff out of the box.

This is really sooooo frustrating.

Will I be able to make it work with my HFS+ harddisks? Can anyone point me to some guidance, if even exists? The manual included in the purchase is less than totally useless. It touches the super obvious stuff only and says nothing about what I'd need to know.

Should I return it to the store?

I've been pulling my hair all day today.

Does it say anywhere how I can actually root it, if really required?

Any help appreciated...

tia, jj

not sure bout ur hard drive issuses id try play store im sure theres an app to help u perfrom ur tasks u want to do but as for rooting if the root checker i used was accurate these boxes come70%rooted we are just not able to rewrite kernalmemory if i remember right sorry im not more help but did u google search how make the box see n use ur hard drives n check app store im sure get u somewhere if i find ant info ill re-post

naaah...

tried everything.

It really is a colorful piece of junk.

waste of time.

returned it.

good direction in general, but completely missed the functional concept.

But this box isn't the only one like that. There are many more, all having missed the features actually needed for functionality, compensating with stuffing with too many little useless apps...

All stuffed with way too many, mostly useless, or not working features, and at the same time it's missing super elementary stuff like support for hdd devices, file formats and so on...

Will have to wait until something more seriously designed comes out.

This one is basically a dollar store toy, for what it offers, except heavily overpriced.

A $200 joke.

naaah...

tried everything.

It really is a colorful piece of junk.

waste of time.

returned it.

good direction in general, but completely missed the functional concept.

But this box isn't the only one like that. There are many more, all having missed the features actually needed for functionality, compensating with stuffing with too many little useless apps...

All stuffed with way too many, mostly useless, or not working features, and at the same time it's missing super elementary stuff like support for hdd devices, file formats and so on...

Will have to wait until something more seriously designed comes out.

This one is basically a dollar store toy, for what it offers, except heavily overpriced.

A $200 joke.

+1 on what you're saying. I returned this POS early on because @ $200 a pop in this type of market, you'd expect refinement and minimal bugs. I bought a $40 Android TV stick and it does the same w/ no bugs. I will say that I was over at my in-laws yesterday and they still have the 1800e and there is definitely a noticeable difference in speed with loading apps vs what I have now. But that is hardly worth the extra $160 if it doesn't work properly 1/2 the time.

for those confused, long story short:

- NO 1000Mbps wired network support!

- NO TransportStream (.TS files) support!

- NO USB3 support

- NO HFS+ support (the Paragon driver doesn't seem to work on this box at all)

- NO access to your attached harddrives from the (home) network side

(you have to buy an extra app from Google for that, only to find out it does one share only,

so if you want to connect another drive, you have to pay Google extra...)

- the wireless on this thing is ridiculously slow. After purchasing the Samba server app from Google store,

so I can actually access the drives over my network, I've found out that my upload over the wireless

is roughly about 25kB/s! That is insulting. Wired isn't way better, at it's under 10MB per second average transfer.

Buying the Samba Server app was necessary to figure it out.

- NO continuous FastForward

- choppy video from local files

- noisy video from 4k files

Essentially,

This device, in reality, is just another streaming video player with support for common Google streaming apps,

where you can load your scripts and watch your choppy, pixelated super low res pirated tv stuff.

Something's not working? Blame the app developer, and he will blame your device back...

Really, the Android O/S is not the most fortunate choice for creating a device like this.

Besides, it is more of an open concept development platform, with the requirement to purchase and install your own apps for the functionality you want, rather than a real commercial product with clearly defined functionality.

Seems to me like probably just anything Android would be more or less the same concept, especially with the Android distro likely available publicly, so anyone can just grab the complete checkout and compile it, with their own drivers.

Sort of how we were making the images for the Dreambox 7000 sat receiver box, back 10 years ago...)

If you need something that would handle your local file repository, this box is not for you.

If you want streaming web tv box, most so-called smart TV's already have the functionality implemented, for the most part.

If you want 4k...

Really? over the 25kB/s wiereless?

Or perhaps the 10MB/s LAN? Or USB2, with the 2GB HDD limitation.

Do your homework before buying, and that's anything, have some questions ready before you buy.

Signing off...

(admin, you can delete my account. I have no intention of further exploring this product in the future)

(hoped I might have helped some clearly define what they need, before they buy their devices...)