Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnmacpherson

1800E FW Update -- Gone wrong!

First off I'd like to thank theDuke201 for providing me with the 1900 Factory Restore 924 FW files. I spend the weekend, with mixed results, to get the 1800E working, then restore BACK to it's original state.

Justin, your Nov. 13th statement, "As I said before, you can use 1900 FW on 1800/582, just ethernet wont work.", just isn't true!

For the record, like most of you I've waited for a very long time for the expected update to the 1800E. Listening to the petty complaints, arguments, staffing issues and repeated promises, I decided to give the 1900 FW a try. See I can use either Wired or wireless to the ethernet problem isn't an issue.

I loaded the 1900 Factory 924 files onto the SD card. (NOTE do not delete the old files, you may wish to go back, copy them to another folder on your computer). Down to the 1800E I go, loaded and started the new version. Also note, you have to be R E A L patient as it takes many, many minutes, for files to load and screens to switch. (Justin, you may wish to suggest that the MyGica's Seeing is believing screen have some sort of progress bar included as it can stay on fast, slow or more that often just hang there and there is no way to tell.

I did manage to get Lollipop working and got into the home screen. There I found that I couldn't get any sound, Optic or RCA, into a Sony TV and/or Sony sound bar. None, not Kodi, Youtube or any other app. Tried the Apps Settings all combo's of Digital, Non-Digital, Pcm Spdif...all of them.

Ah! Then I received a message for the OTA update. I applied that. Several restores later, various hanging when starting, it applied. Said it was going to fix the sound and Ethernet issue....it didn't.

To my surprise, another OTA Update was requested. Go ahead I said....well, that was as far as I got. I never could get it to get past the seeing is believing screen, even left it all night,

This morning, I went thru the whole process from scratch. Yes, several restarts, hanging occasionally on the, Seeing is believing, screen.

I have given up.

Loaded the OLD update_MyGica_1800-582-380_4.4_20150321 FW, tried to go back.

Of Note: the remote that comes with the 1800E isn't recognized by the 1900 FW so in recovery mode it just doesn't work. I attempted to use the KR300 remote I purchased with the unit (the one that isn't supported a week after I bought it on MyGica recommendation). Being an air mouse, any slight movement, even a car going by on the road, causes it to go to the next line. In the recover screens you have to sit it on a flat hard surface and make ever so slight movements to get the right option highlighted, the hit enter. I shouldn't have had a coffee this morning!

BTW: I did manage to restore the old FW but I keep hanging on the Seeing is Believing screen . I think I'm screwed until the release of the manual update for the 1800E Lollipop.

I figure that I've spent 12 hrs on this. I have been in the hardware/software business since the punch card days, Built and ran an Integration Center as well as created several networks. You guys need to get your act together, get organized.

Well, I managed to get back to my original Kit Kat FW configuration for the 1800E. All it took was a second reload of the 4.4 firmware and 2 power down then up. I have loaded and accessed Netflix, Speedtest.net and Plex and all seem to be working along with the sound. All updates have been applied, that are out there, now this guy is just going to wait on the release of the Lollypop next few days, weeks ....good lord years. Whenever?

The only problem I am experiencing now is that when I return from standby, it hangs. I find that if I remove power from the box for 30 or so seconds, it will boot clean. That I can live with.

All being said, I still do love the box and hope the FW upgrade goes smooth.