Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YVRNJB

How to use OTA with 586

I comes with a very small antenna included. You will likely need to buy a bigger, better one.

If you live in a city with lots of TV stations, you can likely get an antenna for $30-$50

If you live far away from a city or want to get stations from farther away you could spend $100-$200 or more on an antenna.

Websites such as TVFool.com (for North America) can show you what stations you might get from your location.

If you plan to use the MyGica ATV586 as a PVR to record TV shows, be aware that the PVR and EPG features are very buggy and not user-friendly and they don't always work. MyGica has been promising improved software for more than a year now, but has not delivered.

But the TV reception and picture quality are quite good, even with a small antenna.

MAM

I comes with a very small antenna included. You will likely need to buy a bigger, better one.

If you live in a city with lots of TV stations, you can likely get an antenna for $30-$50

If you live far away from a city or want to get stations from farther away you could spend $100-$200 or more on an antenna.

Websites such as TVFool.com (for North America) can show you what stations you might get from your location.

If you plan to use the MyGica ATV586 as a PVR to record TV shows, be aware that the PVR and EPG features are very buggy and not user-friendly and they don't always work. MyGica has been promising improved software for more than a year now, but has not delivered.

But the TV reception and picture quality are quite good, even with a small antenna.

MAM

Thanks for sharing this info

I will have new screenshots of a new version of DTV player within 1-2 weeks.

Then we will build it into a new app along with fixing the PVR and EPG issues.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, this is top priority for me.

MAM

Thanks for that great response.

Do you have any recommendations for a good antenna?

MAM

Thanks for that great response.

Do you have any recommendations for a good antenna?

For high end-

Antennas Direct DB8E

Mid Range -

Antennas Direct DB4E or Channel Master 8 Bay

Lower End but still works well -

Any No name brand 8 Bay Antenna

I agree that Antennas Direct and Channel Master antennas are the best..

Other brands of "bowtie" antennas can be good, but quality can be variable.

Another good mid-range antenna is Clearstream (also built by Antennas Direct)). There are a few different sizes. Some only get UHF (not VHF, channels 2-13). These are available at Best Buy (where I live anyway)

I have a small, flat RCA antenna for nearby stations. Many people like Mohu antennas for nearby stations.

There is lots of discussion of antennas online including:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over ... elevision/

Many of the better antennas are not sold at bricks-and-mortar stores. You might need to order online.

We have tried to do the auto scan for TV and radio stations. It scans for a while but it's not getting any stations at all. We're not in a large city but we should get a few tv stations and several radio stations. Any suggestions to figure out the problem?