Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saddie

Bluetooth and atv582

Hi everyone

I've searched this forum for info related to bluetooth support on the 582, and am still a little confused. Hopefully someone can clarify, but as far as I understand it:

1 - the 2015 version of the atv582 has bluetooth built in

2- there is no built in blutooth in the older atv582 builds

3- there are no currently know working bluetooth usb dongles that one can buy, to use with older 582s

4- Is Mygica working on getting some support for one or two USB dongles to work?

Thanks

Hi everyone

I've searched this forum for info related to bluetooth support on the 582, and am still a little confused. Hopefully someone can clarify, but as far as I understand it:

1 - the 2015 version of the atv582 has bluetooth built in

2- there is no built in blutooth in the older atv582 builds

3- there are no currently know working bluetooth usb dongles that one can buy, to use with older 582s

4- Is Mygica working on getting some support for one or two USB dongles to work?

Thanks

1. This is correct

2. This is correct

3 and 4. We rely on AMLogic for this, so until they add this, we cannot use USB Bluetooth Dongles on the non 2015 editions of 582s

Thanks for your clear reply Justin. Further questions:)

1 - do you know if there is any plan by Amlogic to get bluetooth support working in the near future?

2- Does this mean that the newer 2015 atv582s have a different chip maker in them, besides Amlogic? If so, which?

Specifically I am looking at getting my PS3 controllers working with this little android box, through bluetooth. If anyone else here has any better ideas, please let me know

Thanks!

Thanks for your clear reply Justin. Further questions:)

1 - do you know if there is any plan by Amlogic to get bluetooth support working in the near future?

2- Does this mean that the newer 2015 atv582s have a different chip maker in them, besides Amlogic? If so, which?

Specifically I am looking at getting my PS3 controllers working with this little android box, through bluetooth. If anyone else here has any better ideas, please let me know

Thanks!

1. Not sure right now, as I have not heard from them on this in awhile

2. We now have Bluetooth build into our PCB boards using AMlogic chipsets still, that is why it works. This is on our 2015 Editions of 1800E and 582 and the new ATV 585 as well.

Is there any plan to maybe follow up on bluetooth dongle support with Amlogic? I would gladly buy one if I knew it would work. I have 4 PS3 controllers here and really want to hook them up to my 582 to play some Android games:)

In this thread from 9 months ago Justin mentions that USB dongles would be available soon

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1603&hilit=bluetooth

Given that there is no progress on this, maybe Justin could you tell us who is manufacturing the BT chip that's been soldered onto the 2015 version's board? Maybe we could look for a dongle with the same chip?

The issue is we rely on the SDK from Amlogic to support drivers for USB Bluetooth dongles. They have not included this yet, and we have upgraded our SDKs about 3 times now

We use Bluedroid for the soldered BT Chipset on the 2015 editions

I will try to follow up with Amlogic myself again and see what can be done.

That's great Justin, thank you very very much! Do you know which company actually manufactured the chip in the 2015 version though? As far as I knew Bluedroid was just the software stack?

Edit:

Doesn't really matter who made the chip I guess. A kernel rewrite/recompile is necessary. Hence needing the SDK;)

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... le-for-UT1

http://antweb.me/index.php/blog-reader/ ... d-ics.html

That's great Justin, thank you very very much! Do you know which company actually manufactured the chip in the 2015 version though? As far as I knew Bluedroid was just the software stack?

Edit:

Doesn't really matter who made the chip I guess. A kernel rewrite/recompile is necessary. Hence needing the SDK;)

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... le-for-UT1

http://antweb.me/index.php/blog-reader/ ... d-ics.html

Thanks for the info back. Amlogic is supposed to get back with me by next week on this.

No problem thank you for looking into it Justin. I ordinarily wouldn't give any care for bluetooth but for game remotes it seems integral. For Android support it looks like you need to add the drivers for a specific chipset into the kernel, and then recompile the kernel from source. It might be a quick fix though - the kernel running on the 2015 version might be able to run with little modification on our older boxes, then we would just have to go out and buy a USB dongle with the same chipset as the 2015s.

No problem thank you for looking into it Justin. I ordinarily wouldn't give any care for bluetooth but for game remotes it seems integral. For Android support it looks like you need to add the drivers for a specific chipset into the kernel, and then recompile the kernel from source. It might be a quick fix though - the kernel running on the 2015 version might be able to run with little modification on our older boxes, then we would just have to go out and buy a USB dongle with the same chipset as the 2015s.

Asked for external BT close to a year ago, lost any hope :(

Now with sub $100 windows 8.1 soon 10 boxes on the market it will be hard for android compete unless prices drop drastically.

Im not an engineer so not sure how the process works exactly for this.

Will try and get answer for this soon

I hear you lifeisfun. I have been eyeing up those windows boxes too, or the RPi. Don't give up hope yet though! I really like this box! If someone (Justin or anyone else) who has the 2015 version of the atv582 could open up the box and take high resolution pictures of *both sides* of the board, then we could maybe id the bluetooth chip, and purchase a USB dongle with the same chipset, if it is available on ebay or something..

The new AMLogic kernel just released yesterday is supposed to have the driver for the 2015 BT chipset compiled into it, so theoretically if we flashed the new kernel and 'added' the same chipset via a USB dongle to our older models it should work? Or would going through the USB bus confuse the kernel? Anyone else with android drivers experience care to chime in? Anyways I'm willing to take a chance. The best would be solid info from AMlogic of course, but I'd settle for board pics!