Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash Bazbo

Speed up your wifi download speed in under two seconds

I posted the following elsewhere on the forum but it seems like such a useful piece of info that it should get a topic of its own. Perhaps it should be posted somewhere that's more generally applicable to all MyGica boxes but, since I only own an ATV582 and have set up a few 380s for friends, I can only say for sure that it works on 582s and 380s. Anyhow, here goes...

I discovered the following by accident and it has been a godsend. Hopefully, it works as well for you as it does for me...

Press and hold the alternate mouse button on your remote - not the OK button, not the back button, the one that looks like a pull-down menu (i.e. a box with a couple of horizontal lines through it) - for more than one second until a rocket-ship appears in the middle of the screen and blasts off out of the top of the screen. A message will appear indicating that a bunch of memory has been freed and performance has been improved by some percentage. In my case, with 60 Mb/s service and using the speedtest.net app (google play) for testing purposes, I can, in the middle of a speedtest download, fire off the rocket-ship and immediately see my download speed jump from a few Mb/s up to 30 Mb/s.

It seems as though as you run more and more apps that each one will hang on to some memory that doesn't get freed up when you close the app. It also seems as though the more free memory you have, the faster you can download stuff over wifi (I don't know if this applies to wired connections as well). From a practical perspective, you're going to want to fire off the rocket-ship when you're in the app that needs the high download speed (i.e. get in the habit of launching the rocket-ship immediately after launching Kodi).

You're welcome! Enjoy!

I posted the following elsewhere on the forum but it seems like such a useful piece of info that it should get a topic of its own. Perhaps it should be posted somewhere that's more generally applicable to all MyGica boxes but, since I only own an ATV582 and have set up a few 380s for friends, I can only say for sure that it works on 582s and 380s. Anyhow, here goes...

I discovered the following by accident and it has been a godsend. Hopefully, it works as well for you as it does for me...

Press and hold the alternate mouse button on your remote - not the OK button, not the back button, the one that looks like a pull-down menu (i.e. a box with a couple of horizontal lines through it) - for more than one second until a rocket-ship appears in the middle of the screen and blasts off out of the top of the screen. A message will appear indicating that a bunch of memory has been freed and performance has been improved by some percentage. In my case, with 60 Mb/s service and using the speedtest.net app (google play) for testing purposes, I can, in the middle of a speedtest download, fire off the rocket-ship and immediately see my download speed jump from a few Mb/s up to 30 Mb/s.

It seems as though as you run more and more apps that each one will hang on to some memory that doesn't get freed up when you close the app. It also seems as though the more free memory you have, the faster you can download stuff over wifi (I don't know if this applies to wired connections as well). From a practical perspective, you're going to want to fire off the rocket-ship when you're in the app that needs the high download speed (i.e. get in the habit of launching the rocket-ship immediately after launching Kodi).

You're welcome! Enjoy!

OMF!! I just tried it and it totally works! I haven't tried everything yet, but Speedtest.net and Kodi works great (Can stream 1080p, no problem). You have no idea how long I've been trying to get my WiFi to work. Thank you sooooooo much.

Justing can take this as a starting point as they have no idea what is causing the WiFi issues with some units.

Raymond

Yes, confirmed this does work. I use a wired system but tested it on my 582 and this "hidden" feature seems to clear the cache which would improve performance. Not sure if this is an Android feature or a MyGica one but since this is the first we've heard of it I'm guessing this will be news to Justin and your right, hopefully a lead on a permanent fix. Just a note that I was unable to replicate this on my 1900.

Well done.

Oddly enough, my sister has another brands android box and that Rocket ship auto launches when Kodi starts up. Might be a good feature to add to the MyGica's in a future firmware.

Are you using a VPN? If so, which one? When you say it has "not been effective," what does that mean? Your Kodi addon streams are buffering? Your speedtest results aren't improving when you do "the thing?" With or without a VPN connection?

I'm just trying to differentiate between "the thing" isn't doing what I suggested it does anymore vs. it's doing what I suggested but that's still not good enough.

Are you using a VPN? If so, which one? When you say it has "not been effective," what does that mean? Your Kodi addon streams are buffering? Your speedtest results aren't improving when you do "the thing?" With or without a VPN connection?

I'm just trying to differentiate between "the thing" isn't doing what I suggested it does anymore vs. it's doing what I suggested but that's still not good enough.

Hi

No VPN. Streaming mostly over network, not internet. I use a app called Wifi Sweetspot that shows your live speed. In the past I was getting 2.2 Mbps and after doing "the thingy", it would jump to about 45 Mbps. Now, the last two days the rocket ship still goes, but speed only jumps to between 4-14 Mbps. So to answer your question, it's doing what you suggested but that's still not good enough. I will continue to monitor over the next few days and give feedback. I will also play around with different routers and settings and see if that makes any difference.

I'm also still waiting for Justin to post the WiFi Boost fix, which he said would be last week (no suprise that didn't come to fruition).