Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dlangejc

ATV 1800 - Netflix quality

Can the Netflix app stream in HD?

Since there app is made for mobile and tablet devices, I believe most of there stuff streams in SD when using it with Android Devices.

Netflix is currently developing a new app for Set top box devices, but I am not sure when this will be available. Google announces there new Android TV Platform to be available in the fall, and the new Netflix app was apart of the I/O Google conferences demo, so it shouldn't be to long. And I would be surprised if HD streaming isnt available on this.

Based on the screenshots i have seen, it looks like they made the app similar to what you would get with a Smart TV having Netflix included into the TV's User Interface.

I also think the bit rate is limited as it sees the device as a mobile device. I have tried obtaining better bit rates but i reckon its up to Netflix to make it better.

Thanks.

I also think the bit rate is limited as it sees the device as a mobile device. I have tried obtaining better bit rates but i reckon its up to Netflix to make it better.

Thanks.

Yes since mobile and tablet devices screen sizes are generally 4" to 11"s, even SD quality will look good on these screen sizes, so therefore Netflix doesn't want to push out higher bit rates to these devices.

Its also hard coded in the application, to act a certain way regarding resolutions etc among other factors. It would probably best not to discuss what I know here ... suppose Roku still needs to make money :-)

Justin, would the ATV1800 be able to output 5.1 Dolby Digital in Netflix?

Through Optical audio it should be able to, just need to change the sound output settings.

The model of 1800E which we brought into North America has the S802-B chipset in it, so this allows you to use Dolby Digital through HDMI on anything your using for video and sound.

I know early versions of the 1800 only had the S802 chipset