Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

acheron

No audio output device (Openelec)

Recently installed Openelec but now I have no sound at all.

I did as the guide instructed. I tried to factory reset/wipe cache as well on the 2nd install.

I notice that the Audio settings has a long delay as well. Nearly 15-20 seconds it hangs. When I open the audio settings, there is nothing listed on the Audio output device. I tried turning off each setting, and also tried to max each setting.

Any other suggestions or ideas? I also tried this on 3 different TVs, each with various setups (desktop speakers, HDMI audio from the TV directly, and also TV to sound receiver through optical)

I'm probably going back to Android/Kodi as that sound did work, unless someone on here has some other options.

Doesn't really make much sense why it wouldn't work like everyone else as they are pretty much all the same hardware.

Have exactly the same issue including the 15-20 sec hang. Saw an online post suggesting powering down the TV and restarting and will try this tomorrow. For now I swapped in my old AppleTV Gen 1 which can still run Kodi Isengaard vis wireless!! Would rather have the 582 running...

Unfortunately, the TV thing didn't work either. I did read a bit that I have to manually add code to get it to work.

Just seems odd that not everyone has this issue.

Hey aceron; seems we are the only ones working on this at the moment but here goes...

As you said, power cycling the TV did nothing however when I power cycled (unplugged power supply) the MyGica box I was able to get the audio device to show and there was no more 15-20 sec. hang. The audio device (AML-M8AUDIUO/SDPIF) is greyed out but all the selectable options are now available (pass-through, etc.). If I then re-boot the MyGica it "loses" the audio input and we are back to the initial problem. Interestingly, sometimes I have to power-cycle the box a few times to get it to recognize the audio device so you may need to do this a couple of time; your mileage may vary.

Here is a excerpt from another site which may help in your set-up AFTER you get your box to recognize the audio device.

When you view your Settings > System > Audio Output and you see "AML-M8AUDIO Analog" greyed out, this is normal.

"AML-M8AUDIO" is the name of the built-in M8 sound device. This outputs PCM audio via optical and HDMI simultaneously by default. This is a locked configuration (hence greyed out) and is that way because it cannot be edited. It is just what it is.

So it is perfectly normal. and your audio output will be perfectly decoded PCM audio from all media sources.

Now, when you select the passthrough settings, the sound device, AML-M8AUDIO, remains active.

However, it does not do any of the audio decoding for the selected passthrough audio formats (DTS/Dolby). Rather, it sends the compressed audio signal simultaneously through the optical and HDMI output to your TV or AV Receiver.

You will definitely notice a audio quality increase by sending your surround sound audio to the receiver to be decoded. And therefore I recommend that you enable passthrough for DTS and Dolby audio if you have a compatible TV / Receiver.

My issues are compounded by the fact my receiver (Denon AVR-3200) is ancient and has limited digital inputs so I am trying to pas everything through my Sharp Aquos TV. I had it all running smoothly so I know it can work.

Thanks for sharing all of this info NO1UNO

Is there something you think can be fixed via a new update to OPENELEC to over come this issue?

Let me know

Thanks

Since my reply above, I have experienced the following...

1) If I re-boot then the problem reappears.... no audio source listed, 15-20 sec hang and no sound.

2) If I power cycle, I can get the unit to "recognize" the audio output and list the greyed out AML-M8AUDIO. This however is not a consistent result and sometimes takes two or three attempts.

Wish I could be of more help but we passed my tech abilities way back :)

Hope this helps in determining the issue.

As of yesterday, I reverted back to the Android OS and I'm outputting audio from the AV output directly to the amp.