Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenmb

No surround sound output

Have a 1800e connected via hdmi to my pre-amp which then goes to the tv.

I have read for hours and cant resolve why my 1800 wont send audio info to my pre-amp which will be played as DD, DTS or whatever.

My preamp only sees the signal as PCM 2ch and thus will not enable Dolby Digital output.

My pre amp will do this with a blue ray player as a source (connected hdmi also) and watching a dvd concert video. If i select 2 ch audio the pre amp sees it as pcm, if i select 5.1 audio for the dvd player output then my pre-amp recognizes this and allows the additional DD output format to be chosen.

My cable tv box works fine also with hdmi to my pre-amp in that i can select Dolby Digital output.

Seems to me the 1800e is not passing through multi channel coding. The only way i get surround sound is to bring the audio signal into the pre-amp as the 1800e provides it and then use Dolby Digital Pro Logic II for output.

I have the kodi setup with 2.0 channels, passthrough enabled, DD and DTS encoding enabled. Also have hdmi passthrough enabled in the my gica > settings > display > digital audio output option

I am downloading and playing movies using Exodus if that matters, using HD (720p) resolution.

What am i missing?

I havent changed anything on my 1800e since buying it in November other than to install Genesis and now Exodus. My Explornet satellite internet is too slow for streaming so i bought the MyGica to be able to download movies at night and watch anytime i want.

I will try downloading some video outside of Exodus and see if i can get it to work. It seems reasonable that the process of downloading is where my issue lies.

Have a 1800e connected via hdmi to my pre-amp which then goes to the tv.

I have read for hours and cant resolve why my 1800 wont send audio info to my pre-amp which will be played as DD, DTS or whatever.

My preamp only sees the signal as PCM 2ch and thus will not enable Dolby Digital output.

My pre amp will do this with a blue ray player as a source (connected hdmi also) and watching a dvd concert video. If i select 2 ch audio the pre amp sees it as pcm, if i select 5.1 audio for the dvd player output then my pre-amp recognizes this and allows the additional DD output format to be chosen.

My cable tv box works fine also with hdmi to my pre-amp in that i can select Dolby Digital output.

Seems to me the 1800e is not passing through multi channel coding. The only way i get surround sound is to bring the audio signal into the pre-amp as the 1800e provides it and then use Dolby Digital Pro Logic II for output.

I have the kodi setup with 2.0 channels, passthrough enabled, DD and DTS encoding enabled. Also have hdmi passthrough enabled in the my gica > settings > display > digital audio output option

I am downloading and playing movies using Exodus if that matters, using HD (720p) resolution.

What am i missing?

The videos you are playing from exodus are probably not coded in 5.1 dd or dts. It's probably only in two channel. The input has to be 5.1 for it to output 5.1.

The easiest way that I can see to check is to actually play the stream and then press the "ok" button on your remote. Look above the play/pause/stop buttons and you will see info like 2ch and 720p. Then stop the stream and d/l if you wish.

The downloaded movies show 2.0 when i press the ok button so that is likely correct that it is the downloading process that is not providing the multi channel capability. It is painful process to stream anything, streamed a movie trailer this morning and it showed 2.0 and "und" beside the speaker symbol when ok is pressed on remote during playback. Probably again using 2.0 to make trailer readily available but with satellite internet this still took a few minutes to get a trailer to start to play. Tried streaming a movie to check audio formatting but no luck getting anything to play after a few minutes so gave up.

Probably have to accept 2.0 as the format for downloaded movies unless someone knows of a way around it. A 720p HD 2.0 audio movie is around 1G and takes 3-6 hours to download so even if i could get the multi channel track, if it more than doubles the file size then it isnt worth it.

I'm not going to get in depth as to why would search this, but if you want 5.1 search for "seo-michael.co.uk" and then look for "Morepower". Seo-Michael is good because it explains quite specifically how to work with Kodi, but doesn't explain what the Addons do. That way if you know what the Addons do, great. If you don't, the site doesn't give you any hints as to their use.

PS Xplorenet sucks balls. A buddy of mine had it out south of Ottawa and he went to a Telus rocket stick instead. The stick plugs into his router and he then has wifi throughout the house.

I have had the same issue. I finally downloaded some DTS content and played it and the DTS is seen. The exodus content is mostly 2 channel.