Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahfchan

ATV582 - Incorrect video resolution after standby (+others)

Hello,

First of all, great forum and thanks for the effort in supporting this product.

I've been trying to resolve an issue with my ATV582 box, but in the process also discovered some oddities which I will try to explain here:

I'm running uboot and firmware from post "http://www.mygicasupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1710 ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14". Reason I'm not running the newest is because I experienced an issue with it which I'll get into later.

Issue 1 - HDMI video resolution issue with recovering from standby:

Setup:

* HDMI auto detect on - finds 1080i 60Hz. Setting other manual resolution (Except 4k) also ok (tried all)

* MyGica4k launcher or Nexus launcher (tried both)

Reproduce:

* fresh reboot of device, run Deke tv (or other streaming app). Video resolution is correct. Everything works great!

* exit my app (by pressing back several times), which brings me back to the launcher.

* switch off my TV (or switch to another TV input). My ATV582 box goes to standby (blue light turns to red)

* switch on my TV (or switch back to this input). Device recovers automatically and shows the 'MBOX - Make your life easier' (or something like that) screen. Then goes back to launeher. Resolution is ok.

* When I go back to my Deke tv or other stream apps, the catalog/menu screens are ok. But when I play the channel/video (i.e. when the video switches to full screen), Everything appears to be magnified and I only see around 1/4 of the video. Sometimes I can recover by going into display settings and switching the HDMI resolution to another one, sometimes not.

Notes:

a) If I try to go into standby by pressing the remote, it cannot wake up. I have to power cycle to recover. The only way it can recover is if standby mode is entered (passively so to speak) by turning off TV or switching to another input on TV

b) Even if HDMI auto detect is turned off and a different resolution is picked e.g. 720p, when the device starts up (from fresh or from standby) , it still auto-detects and changes my resolution back to 1080i 60Hz

Issue 2 - Firmware causing video playback to 'loop'/'cycle':

Setup:

* Upgraded uboot and firmware in the following order:

1) viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1710 ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14

2) viewtopic.php?f=113&t=2154 ATV 582/380 11/05/14 FIRMWARE FILE **MANUAL UPLOAD**

3) viewtopic.php?f=113&t=2715 ATV 582/1800E/380 FIRMWARE UPDATE 03-31-15

4) viewtopic.php?f=113&t=3653 **NEW** ATV 1800/582/380 11/19/15 4.4.2 **Firmware File**

(only the 1st update has uboot)

Reproduce:

* run the same Deke TV app (no more additional software installed after firmware updates)

* video would 'jump' back to a position ~2 mins ago after about ~5 mins of playback

Notes:

* it does not appear to be an issue with the network connection speed to the server, as immediately switching the firmware back to'ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14' fixes it, and the issue happens consistently for a while with the newest firmware (11/19/15)

Questions:

1) My issue is the display resolution issue, as now I have to power cycle the box everytime I switch TV input or turn off TV. I am an android dev myself so I tried to look for ways to restart the HDMI output programmatically or via a shell script which I could ssh into, but this is likely manufacturer-specific (for 4.4.2 at least) so I'm stuck there.

2) I'm more than happy to use new firmwares, but have I done the upgrade properly? My main use of the box is to watch iptv so the video 'loopback' issue prevents me from doing that.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alec

Hello,

First of all, great forum and thanks for the effort in supporting this product.

I've been trying to resolve an issue with my ATV582 box, but in the process also discovered some oddities which I will try to explain here:

I'm running uboot and firmware from post "http://www.mygicasupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1710 ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14". Reason I'm not running the newest is because I experienced an issue with it which I'll get into later.

Issue 1 - HDMI video resolution issue with recovering from standby:

Setup:

* HDMI auto detect on - finds 1080i 60Hz. Setting other manual resolution (Except 4k) also ok (tried all)

* MyGica4k launcher or Nexus launcher (tried both)

Reproduce:

* fresh reboot of device, run Deke tv (or other streaming app). Video resolution is correct. Everything works great!

* exit my app (by pressing back several times), which brings me back to the launcher.

* switch off my TV (or switch to another TV input). My ATV582 box goes to standby (blue light turns to red)

* switch on my TV (or switch back to this input). Device recovers automatically and shows the 'MBOX - Make your life easier' (or something like that) screen. Then goes back to launeher. Resolution is ok.

* When I go back to my Deke tv or other stream apps, the catalog/menu screens are ok. But when I play the channel/video (i.e. when the video switches to full screen), Everything appears to be magnified and I only see around 1/4 of the video. Sometimes I can recover by going into display settings and switching the HDMI resolution to another one, sometimes not.

Notes:

a) If I try to go into standby by pressing the remote, it cannot wake up. I have to power cycle to recover. The only way it can recover is if standby mode is entered (passively so to speak) by turning off TV or switching to another input on TV

b) Even if HDMI auto detect is turned off and a different resolution is picked e.g. 720p, when the device starts up (from fresh or from standby) , it still auto-detects and changes my resolution back to 1080i 60Hz

Issue 2 - Firmware causing video playback to 'loop'/'cycle':

Setup:

* Upgraded uboot and firmware in the following order:

1) http://www.mygicasupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1710 ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14

2) http://www.mygicasupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=2154 ATV 582/380 11/05/14 FIRMWARE FILE **MANUAL UPLOAD**

3) http://www.mygicasupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=2715 ATV 582/1800E/380 FIRMWARE UPDATE 03-31-15

4) http://www.mygicasupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=3653 **NEW** ATV 1800/582/380 11/19/15 4.4.2 **Firmware File**

(only the 1st update has uboot)

Reproduce:

* run the same Deke TV app (no more additional software installed after firmware updates)

* video would 'jump' back to a position ~2 mins ago after about ~5 mins of playback

Notes:

* it does not appear to be an issue with the network connection speed to the server, as immediately switching the firmware back to'ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14' fixes it, and the issue happens consistently for a while with the newest firmware (11/19/15)

Questions:

1) My issue is the display resolution issue, as now I have to power cycle the box everytime I switch TV input or turn off TV. I am an android dev myself so I tried to look for ways to restart the HDMI output programmatically or via a shell script which I could ssh into, but this is likely manufacturer-specific (for 4.4.2 at least) so I'm stuck there.

2) I'm more than happy to use new firmwares, but have I done the upgrade properly? My main use of the box is to watch iptv so the video 'loopback' issue prevents me from doing that.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alec

Sorry did not realize this was not put in the 582 section

This is our latest firmware

Should fix the issue your having

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=4380

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for not putting it in the right section.

I'm currently in firmware viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1710 ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14

Would I be able to jump straight to the firmware you posted? If not, what is the ordering I should follow? Do kindly let me know if there are any required uboot upgrades in the process.

Thanks again,

Alec

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for not putting it in the right section.

I'm currently in firmware viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1710 ATV 582/1800E UBoot and Firmware File 07/24/14

Would I be able to jump straight to the firmware you posted? If not, what is the ordering I should follow? Do kindly let me know if there are any required uboot upgrades in the process.

Thanks again,

Alec

You can jump directly to that firmware.

But I would suggest doing a factory reset after that.

If you want to just factory reset and jump to the latest firmware all at the same time.

Then use this

Download the ATV 582 Files from below

These are our factory restore files

I have been uploading all my zip files of factory restore cards onto my onedrive. I keep them updated for the most part and I will keep putting them up until they are all there.

http://bit.ly/mygicafiles

If you have any problem downloading them, or you need different files, let me know.

You can also give out this link to customers who need these same files.

quad core video;

the 585, 582, the reset button is on the bottom.

1900 is on the back of the unit

Thanks Justin for your prompt response.

I have installed the firmware attached. The standby issue has been fixed (thanks for that). However, I'm getting the video 'loopback' issue as initially described with firmwares newer than the 07/24/1 one.

Basically, when I play my iptv app for about 2-3 mins, video would jump back about 1 min. Sometimes the jump would occur for a few times, other times it would get past the jump point but will eventually end up jumping again later on.

This issue does not happen with the 07/24/1 firmware (but unfortunately the standby issue is there so I'm kinda stuck with no working solution).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alec

Let me add to my comment above to better describe the issue I'm having:

old firmware (07/24/1):

When buffering happens while watching iptv (due to temp slowness in connection), playback would freeze for a split second. When the stream catches up, it would continue playing.

latest firmware:

Playback no longer freezes. It would 'jump' back ~30 seconds - 1 min (beginning of buffer?) and plays the old content again. In fact, I tried pulling the network cable and that's exactly what I see - the playback plays to some point, then loops back, then plays for another minute, then loops back...

The strange thing is that once the loop back happens once, it will likely happen at the same pt again, despite the network is streaming more data.

So it seems like this firmware gets into a bad state as soon as the playback outruns the buffer.

(I did do a factory reset after installing the firmware. I installed it via the update app and did the factory reset via the android system screen).

Let me add to my comment above to better describe the issue I'm having:

old firmware (07/24/1):

When buffering happens while watching iptv (due to temp slowness in connection), playback would freeze for a split second. When the stream catches up, it would continue playing.

latest firmware:

Playback no longer freezes. It would 'jump' back ~30 seconds - 1 min (beginning of buffer?) and plays the old content again. In fact, I tried pulling the network cable and that's exactly what I see - the playback plays to some point, then loops back, then plays for another minute, then loops back...

The strange thing is that once the loop back happens once, it will likely happen at the same pt again, despite the network is streaming more data.

So it seems like this firmware gets into a bad state as soon as the playback outruns the buffer.

(I did do a factory reset after installing the firmware. I installed it via the update app and did the factory reset via the android system screen).

The issue I think here is the IPTV app you are using is playing HLS streams.

AM logics internal video player has known issues with HLS streams.

The issue is basically it looping back.

I have had this issue reported by a few customers of mine that use our boxes for IPTV so that is why how I know about this issue.

Can you PM me the name of the app so I can try it here

And then maybe get this fixed.

Thanks Justin - have sent you a PM. Appreciate the support.

I got it, will try to see if it can be fixed or not.