Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobertK

New Customer (issues) with 1800E

Just received my brand new 1800E from walmart.ca

a couple of issues and hope for some help

1) out of the box it is Android KitKat and Kodi 16.0

2) after initial set up (wifi rather than Ethernet) when I hit the power off button the unit goes from green to red, so far ok but when I then select ON/OFF button again it never comes on. I have to unplug and replug again to boot up -- is this normal?

3) Added an add-on but also noticed constant buffering while streaming, not sure if this is normal or not, noticed a different discussion message about buffering so maybe?

is it advisable to try to upgrade to 5.1 and Kodi 16.1 ?

Is there a quick 'how to upgrade' guide on the MyGica web site?

Thanks in advance for replies!

my 2 cents worth: I upgraded to 5.1 and it works great. Yes, I can't turn it off but it's on a separate HDMI port so I don't really mind. I'm running 17.0 Krypton and it seems to work OK with me. That's to say everyone runs it different. My main use it Plex and that works great.

Just be careful and follow the upgrade instructions to the letter. Most of all be patient, as it seems like it's doing nothing and then it goes to the next step. Can take 5 mins. of seemingly dead before the process continues.

5.1 is Beta according to this forum. It does run well when it runs.

To upgrade Kodi, simply go to the Kodi website, find the Android.apk, download that to your unit. Run the apk and it will upgrade Kodi to 16.1.

As for the upgrade to 5.1, I just put the downloaded, extracted .img file on to a USB thumb drive and ran the upgrade.

Try this;

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-instal ... build-kodi

Not only is it a killer build, it runs really well on all my Kodi installs either PC or STB, rarely buffers. Buffering can be your local internet/ISP or busy content hosts. Not always you.

PS; WiFi, IMO should always be your second resort. Unless you have a good AC/N Router, Ethernet is always the way to go. I worked for a News/Media company that wouldn't even support its own mobile user's issues if they were on WiFi. Ethernet only. Says a lot.