Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bucks_Fizz

Copy files to 495 External HDD over Network from WIndows PC

Copy files to 495 External HDD over Network from WIndows PC

I need some expert advice please (for an Android Newbie).

I have the 495 Pro, with two external HDD connected (via USB 3 Hub). At the moment, when i have new content, i power off the box, remove the HDD and connect it to my Windows 10 PC.

I copy the new content and plug the HDD back into the 495. Power up the box and start Kodi.

Problem is, when i do this, it on occasion, rescans the entire HDD, mislabels content (TV shows scanned as movie) and then puts duplicates on the library.

SO i thought it may be wiser to leave the drives connected and copy new content via network.

I cannot see the device on my WIndows PC to "map" a network drive.

Can someone "tutor" me on how to copy files from my PC to an external HDD connected on the 495 via a home network.

I hope my essay makes sense

Thanks all

Quick update,

I found the E-Share APP and managed to upload a file via the web browser. Although this is a solution, i would prefer to be able to copy directories. One file at a time may be a bit tedious.

However, testing continuesB|

Another update -

I think i know where i #$@ up and hopefully this "warning" may help someone else.

As i said, i had two HDD connected to the 495 via a USB hub (as the remote "steals" a port and i cannot use a HDD larger than 2TB). SO i have 2 2TB drives connected.

It looks like i made the mistake of ejecting both to add content (movie & a show). So although i plugged them back into the same ports, it appears that the the external storage descriptor changed.

Where my shows where on udisk1, they are now on udisk0. As a result, broken library and media source. I can only imagine this comes from plugging both hdd back in and the OS initialised them in the wrong order.

SO going forward - one drive at a time :)

Morning all (well morning where i am)

The same thing happens when i reboot the box with the HDD connected. The disk descriptor sometimes changes. And unfortunately i have to reboot as a result of the "well documented" Kodi 17.1 Audio Passthrough issues.

So as i am pulling out what hair i have left  - some advice would be really helpful

Talking HDD - WHat is the maximum size external HDD i can plug into the 495?

The specs on Google say 2TB - but i tested with a 4TB and it seems to work. Just wondering if i could go higher?

9 hours ago, Bucks_Fizz said:

Talking HDD - WHat is the maximum size external HDD i can plug into the 495?

The specs on Google say 2TB - but i tested with a 4TB and it seems to work. Just wondering if i could go higher?

The highest I have tried is 4TB as this is the biggest drive I own.

Is there any one else on here that has tried higher then 4TB??