Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mishkakc

why can't I use the Movies and TV shows menus???

I have XBMC installed on an HTPC hooked into my home theater system and use the Movies and TV Shows to play files on my hard drive. I like the way it can display the files so anyone, especially my 6 year old, can visually see what movies/tv shows are there.

I was really hoping when I bought the ATV582 that I would be able to do the same on my other TV with an external hard drive attached to it but that doesn't appear to be the case. Really hope I am missing a check box or something somewhere to enable me to do this.

Thanks

I was just playing around with a thumb drive for now to see if it would work the same way. The plan is to get a WD My Passport. Played around a little late last night and loaded a skin that at least enabled the Movies and TV Shows in the menu, still couldn't get it to point to the movie folder and load the covers for them. Am going to try again later on and see if the skin I use on my PC is one of the ones available and then I can compare the two. It has been quite a while since I set up my PC.

I believe you have to set it up this way when you are selecting which folders you want XBMC to grab your Video Content from, and also make sure you select it grabs TV or Movie Fan Art, so it will auto create the TV Shows and Movies folders on the XBMC menu bar that you are looking for.

We have units on display with SD Cards and Hard Drives connected to it, and have been able to do what you are doing.

Best way I can explain it is this.

When adding files under Videos, and once you find your Hard Drive. Make sure you label what the directory you are adding has in it, you will see this option when setting this up. It will scan through the files within that folder and label them accordingly with Fan Art if available. It will also create a Movies or TV Shows folder automatically, depending on which directory you selected it to scan.