Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DVScuba

No Hope at updating Uboot, it seems

So I've read and read and read some more. I found that user @saddie was having similar issues last summer ( http://mygica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1711&start=120 ) , but following through his thread posts, I've been unable to get my Uboot past version 20140521.163417. Right now, I've managed to get myself to:

Uboot 20140521.163417

Kernel 3.10.33 (20141018.152553)

Build V002M801_20141105

So the big issue is the box is sometimes unresponsive, screen goes blank from time to time for no reason and requires a power cycle to restore, programs stop playing for no reason and an overall sluggish feeling. I believe this may be related to the earlier Uboot version on my device.

I just brought home a second ATV582 (2015 edition) which, out of the box, is up to date. The difference is like night and day. No buffering issues, the machine is responsive, remotes all seem to work correctly. I'm pleased with my second ATV582 and I can watch video programming again.

Why did I have to buy a second unit to get one to work correctly? I know the box has potential and was frustrated at the other issues I was having. I bought a second unit and I'm super pleased with the results. I have another room to use the original unit in, but at $150.00/ea plus HST, I should think I would be able to get the original box up to date without all these issues, and without all the random lockups, reboots and dropped programming.

I understand what this box is, what the *servers* are capable of and what I got myself into in the first place. What I don't understand is how to get my original unit, with the identical hardware of my most recent purchase, to work as efficiently as my recent purchase does.

My Uboot version is stuck at 20140521.163417. I have tried *EVERYTHING* posted in this forum, from applying updates from recovery mode to trying the update program again to Justin's recommended application of a firmware update meant only for the 1800E. Again, I feel my issue are related to the older Uboot version.

Can anyone help me or should RMA this device? Justin? Your thoughts?

Thanks,

DVScuba

So I've read and read and read some more. I found that user @saddie was having similar issues last summer ( http://mygica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1711&start=120 ) , but following through his thread posts, I've been unable to get my Uboot past version 20140521.163417. Right now, I've managed to get myself to:

Uboot 20140521.163417

Kernel 3.10.33 (20141018.152553)

Build V002M801_20141105

So the big issue is the box is sometimes unresponsive, screen goes blank from time to time for no reason and requires a power cycle to restore, programs stop playing for no reason and an overall sluggish feeling. I believe this may be related to the earlier Uboot version on my device.

I just brought home a second ATV582 (2015 edition) which, out of the box, is up to date. The difference is like night and day. No buffering issues, the machine is responsive, remotes all seem to work correctly. I'm pleased with my second ATV582 and I can watch video programming again.

Why did I have to buy a second unit to get one to work correctly? I know the box has potential and was frustrated at the other issues I was having. I bought a second unit and I'm super pleased with the results. I have another room to use the original unit in, but at $150.00/ea plus HST, I should think I would be able to get the original box up to date without all these issues, and without all the random lockups, reboots and dropped programming.

I understand what this box is, what the *servers* are capable of and what I got myself into in the first place. What I don't understand is how to get my original unit, with the identical hardware of my most recent purchase, to work as efficiently as my recent purchase does.

My Uboot version is stuck at 20140521.163417. I have tried *EVERYTHING* posted in this forum, from applying updates from recovery mode to trying the update program again to Justin's recommended application of a firmware update meant only for the 1800E. Again, I feel my issue are related to the older Uboot version.

Can anyone help me or should RMA this device? Justin? Your thoughts?

Thanks,

DVScuba

The issue lies with your UBOOT Version.

We have changed the UBOOT twice since the version you are stuck on.

If you cannot get it upgraded to the current Uboot version, then the only thing I can suggest is to RMA the device and if we cannot fix it, we will replace it with one using the current software.

The issue lies with your UBOOT Version.

We have changed the UBOOT twice since the version you are stuck on.

If you cannot get it upgraded to the current Uboot version, then the only thing I can suggest is to RMA the device and if we cannot fix it, we will replace it with one using the current software.

Thanks for your reply, Justin.

If there is no fix available for this other than through the normal update procedure (which is spelled out over and over on this forum), then I believe the next step I'm supposed to take is to apply the "update_uboot_stvm8_20140718.img" which is found in "ATV 582-1800E Firmware Files.zip" from 07/24 last year. Since I am unable to get the Uboot to update to this version, I will proceed with the RMA.

Thanks again for your attention.