Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RRPELLET

ATV 520e wi-fi

Wi-fi on my new ATV 520e seems slow. Try to stream a movie from my local NAS device and it chokes within a minute - every time. I know I should try to run an Ethernet cable to it, but it's not really convenient. (Let's assume I'm lazy.)

I've seen a few discussions where some folks have claimed that they resolved this issue by opening the unit and moving the wi-fi antenna. I would comfortable doing that (maybe I'm not so lazy?), but this unit has an external wi-fi antenna - can't see that there'd be another inside?

Anyway, thought I'd touch bases with more experienced owners (and the manufacturer?) before taking tools to it, perhaps unnecessarily.

What do you think?

Wi-fi on my new ATV 520e seems slow. Try to stream a movie from my local NAS device and it chokes within a minute - every time. I know I should try to run an Ethernet cable to it, but it's not really convenient. (Let's assume I'm lazy.)

I've seen a few discussions where some folks have claimed that they resolved this issue by opening the unit and moving the wi-fi antenna. I would comfortable doing that (maybe I'm not so lazy?), but this unit has an external wi-fi antenna - can't see that there'd be another inside?

Anyway, thought I'd touch bases with more experienced owners (and the manufacturer?) before taking tools to it, perhaps unnecessarily.

What do you think?

Hi

Moving the wifi antenna instructions, was only given to people who had the ATV 520, which was the earlier version that did not have the external wifi antenna, this is the reason why they came out with the ATV520E which now comes with the external wifi antenna.

If your wifi router is far away from your 520E then this would be the reason for your video cutting out, since the wifi signal would be low.

We would suggest either moving your wifi router, or going with an Ethernet cable directly, if you do not want to run a long Ethernet cable, you can always try using Powerline Ethernet adapters, these work great for running Ethernet cable anywhere in your house.

Thanks, I suspected as much. Wi-fi works fine on my laptop, but Internet browsing is not the same as streaming HD video, right?

Appreciate the response. Seriously, running a $7 cable out to the 520e is no big deal. I have to run it 15 ft thru a crawlspace and I thought I'd try to save myself the 10 mins work.

Like I said - lazy!

Also having trouble getting the XBMC set up - can't seem to set the right file path configurations for the appropriate media types. It's a bit confusing, and it seems as though the online manuals were written for a different version, as the steps they take you through don't always follow.

I am not sure about a upgrading it - I do a lot of work on PCs and MS servers, but no real Android or Linux experience.

Thanks again.

Thanks, I suspected as much. Wi-fi works fine on my laptop, but Internet browsing is not the same as streaming HD video, right?

Appreciate the response. Seriously, running a $7 cable out to the 520e is no big deal. I have to run it 15 ft thru a crawlspace and I thought I'd try to save myself the 10 mins work.

Like I said - lazy!

Also having trouble getting the XBMC set up - can't seem to set the right file path configurations for the appropriate media types. It's a bit confusing, and it seems as though the online manuals were written for a different version, as the steps they take you through don't always follow.

I am not sure about a upgrading it - I do a lot of work on PCs and MS servers, but no real Android or Linux experience.

Thanks again.

For XBMC related questions and info you can go to www.xbmc.org

On there they have a forum as well and lots of info related to XBMC. This website is the official website for XBMC.