Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

franklinvu

atv1200 Bricked after firmware flash

Dead/red light box

Basically it involves formatting an SD card to be bootable using the tools (and instructions) from the http://www.sendspace.com/file/kr3wta link and formatting the SD card with the uboot_MX.bin file on it.

Then download & extract the MyGica file http://update.mygica.cn/MX_4.1/Mygic...s_20140512.zip, and put the following files on the SD card: (or maybe you could use a previous firmware version?)

factory_update_param.aml

factory_update_param.ubt

how to update 4.2 on 4.1 platform.txt

recovery.img

spi_MX.bin

update_MyGica_4.2_20140519_kr34.img

Above works so prepare your sd card.

This worked for me, but I had to do some extra things to make it boot from the SD card.

You have to open the box, 2 little phillips on the bottom of the device and three on the back top edge.

Then you short the middle 2 pins with a small pillips screw driver LATER, see image: http://i.imgur.com/3WEhxnZ.jpg?1

Ok.

Insert the sd card, have only the HDMI cable connected to the box at this point. POWER OFF/OUT.

Now short the 2 pins and hold it. Press the small reset button with a tooth pick or so and hold it too. now have someone plug the power in.

Wait until the led's light up (3-8 seconds) and that they go from red to green, green to red blinking. Now let go of the screwdriver and tooth pick.

Do not touch anything. There will be no picture on the screen at this moment After 2-5 minutes it will come to life and it will install itself.

Just wait untill the thing is done. And.... voila a new box. 4.2.2 works way better.

Hope this helps.

Richard :mrgreen:

Dead/red light box

Basically it involves formatting an SD card to be bootable using the tools (and instructions) from the http://www.sendspace.com/file/kr3wta link and formatting the SD card with the uboot_MX.bin file on it.

Then download & extract the MyGica file http://update.mygica.cn/MX_4.1/Mygic...s_20140512.zip, and put the following files on the SD card: (or maybe you could use a previous firmware version?)

factory_update_param.aml

factory_update_param.ubt

recovery.img

spi_MX.bin

This worked for me, but I had to do some extra things to make it boot from the SD card.

You have to open the box, 2 little phillips on the bottom of the device and three on the back top edge.

Then you short the middle 2 pins with a small pillips screw driver LATER, see image: http://i.imgur.com/3WEhxnZ.jpg?1

Ok.

Insert the sd card, have only the HDMI cable connected to the box at this point. POWER OFF/OUT.

Now short the 2 pins and hold it. Press the small reset button with a tooth pick or so and hold it too. now have someone plug the power in.

Wait until the led's light up (3-8 seconds) and that they go from red to green, green to red blinking. Now let go of the screwdriver and tooth pick.

Do not touch anything. There will be no picture on the screen at this moment After 2-5 minutes it will come to life and it will install itself.

Just wait untill the thing is done. And.... voila a new box. 4.2.2 works way better.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing this. Lots of steps involved, but it is good to see unbricking options out there.

Dead/red light box

factory_update_param.aml

factory_update_param.ubt

recovery.img

spi_MX.bin

Ok.

Hope this helps.

tried that and woks well! Thanks for sharing a failsafe solution!

I tried it too but after upgrade begin I see only Green Robot picture without any progress. I think it because board differences,

After that I found new files on http://mygica.com/html/Support. Created SD card with new files. Tried make same process but without success again.

So I just pressed RESET button when inserted POWER and recovery begun ! After this finished I have new firmware and box worked !!

Very important that SD card must be less 2 G and formatted FAT ( not FAT32).

I tried it too but after upgrade begin I see only Green Robot picture without any progress. I think it because board differences,

After that I found new files on http://mygica.com/html/Support. Created SD card with new files. Tried make same process but without success again.

So I just pressed RESET button when inserted POWER and recovery begun ! After this finished I have new firmware and box worked !!

Very important that SD card must be less 2 G and formatted FAT ( not FAT32).

Good to know you were able to figure it out.

For me it worked with a 32GB card .

Anyways great. And yes it must be a difference in the boards but at least the boxes come to life again.

Yes that is good it is working.

Glad you were able to figure it out.

We are setting up the equipment to unbrick all MyGica units from now on. We should have the proper equipment sent to us soon, and be setup for unbricking within 2-3 weeks.

Hi Justin, hope you can help me.

After wrong firmware update, my ATV1220T has been bricked. No way to get it back to work.

I've bought an USB/TTL cable for console output, and I'm able to enter console, execute commands, update SPI flash but not main image.

I get many many errors about NAND memory. If I try to erase it manually, it's fine until 30%, then all factory bad blocks ("NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at *").

NAND erase: whole chip

Erasing at 0x0 --   0% complete.
Erasing at 0x2800000 --   1% complete.
Erasing at 0x5000000 --   2% complete. NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 5a00000 

Skipping bad block at  0x05a00000                                          

Erasing at 0x7a00000 --   3% complete.
Erasing at 0xa200000 --   4% complete.
Erasing at 0xcc00000 --   5% complete.
Erasing at 0xf400000 --   6% complete.
Erasing at 0x11e00000 --   7% complete.
Erasing at 0x14600000 --   8% complete.
Erasing at 0x17000000 --   9% complete.
Erasing at 0x19800000 --  10% complete.
Erasing at 0x1c200000 --  11% complete.
Erasing at 0x1ea00000 --  12% complete.
Erasing at 0x21400000 --  13% complete.
Erasing at 0x23c00000 --  14% complete.
Erasing at 0x26600000 --  15% complete.
Erasing at 0x28e00000 --  16% complete.
Erasing at 0x2b800000 --  17% complete.
Erasing at 0x2e000000 --  18% complete.
Erasing at 0x30a00000 --  19% complete.
Erasing at 0x33200000 --  20% complete.
Erasing at 0x35c00000 --  21% complete.
Erasing at 0x38400000 --  22% complete.
Erasing at 0x3ae00000 --  23% complete.
Erasing at 0x3d600000 --  24% complete.
Erasing at 0x3fe00000 --  25% complete.
Erasing at 0x42800000 --  26% complete.
Erasing at 0x45000000 --  27% complete.
Erasing at 0x47a00000 --  28% complete.
Erasing at 0x4a200000 --  29% complete.
Erasing at 0x4cc00000 --  30% complete.
Erasing at 0x4f400000 --  31% complete.
Erasing at 0x51e00000 --  32% complete. NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 52a00000 

Skipping bad block at  0x52a00000                                          
NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 52c00000 

Skipping bad block at  0x52c00000                                          
NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 52e00000 

Skipping bad block at  0x52e00000                                          
NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 53000000 

Skipping bad block at  0x53000000                                          
NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 53200000 

Skipping bad block at  0x53200000                                          
NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 53400000 

Skipping bad block at  0x53400000                                          

Erasing at 0x54600000 --  33% complete.
Erasing at 0x57000000 --  34% complete. NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 58c00000 

Skipping bad block at  0x58c00000                                          
NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 58e00000 

Skipping bad block at  0x58e00000                                          
NAND bbt detect factory Bad block at 59000000 

..and so on, until 100%

Attached is the full log about firmware update (power on with reset button pressed, memory inserted with latest firmware).

At the end of update, when android try to boot up, the latest console message is:

[ 18.489736@1] [] (device_add+0x0/0x4fc) from []

How can I do? The problem in my device is the NAND memory definitively bricked?

But "FACTORY BAD BLOCK" stays for "device come out from the factory with bad block inside"??

Let me know how I can unbrick my (new) device.

Thanks

mygica_log.zip

For all readers: if your device has many "FACTORY BAD BLOCKS" and any firmware is unable to start due to boot hangs, I've been able to get it works simply clearing the FULL NAND from the bad blocks.

You have to power up device and enter in console mode (UBoot), then execute this command:

nand scrub

This seems to clear from the "bad blocks table" the blocks that are actually marked as bad (really or not). After cleared the table, apply the firmware upgrade (power up with reset button pressed at least for 15 secs) and the new OS image will be written in the cleared NAND. This worked for me.

I don't know what happens if a really bad block is marked as good and the new firmware writes just over that block. However for me system is working fine, and is better to have a working device (with a doubt) than have a bricked device, isn't it? :D

For all readers: if your device has many "FACTORY BAD BLOCKS" and any firmware is unable to start due to boot hangs, I've been able to get it works simply clearing the FULL NAND from the bad blocks.

You have to power up device and enter in console mode (UBoot), then execute this command:

nand scrub

This seems to clear from the "bad blocks table" the blocks that are actually marked as bad (really or not). After cleared the table, apply the firmware upgrade (power up with reset button pressed at least for 15 secs) and the new OS image will be written in the cleared NAND. This worked for me.

I don't know what happens if a really bad block is marked as good and the new firmware writes just over that block. However for me system is working fine, and is better to have a working device (with a doubt) than have a bricked device, isn't it? :D

Thanks for the advice.

Hiya,

Just to say a big thank you for this solution. This also worked for my Cyclone X2 media enclosure (Geniatech ATV3200).

The only problem I have had is using min-sd card adapters - some boot up ok, some don't. No idea why.

Thanks again

Craig Miller-George

I need some help. After i update the newest update the Rom works good. After 1 week the mygica dont work from alone.

First i try to flash the newest Update again. After that i dont see the Install Menu and no Picture.

The LED is green but the picture ist Black. I try to update with sd card but nothing works. What can i do?

I use the Android Box over 1 Year without Problems. This Problem comes first time with the newest Update.

I wrote with the Dealer in Germany but he dont write back.

So what can i do??

Thanks in advance.

S.O.S , i wont buy more mygica devices because for a bad upgrade i cant make use of them, because mygica hasnt a pc tool software for recover the device from the computer and for make more sure the upgrade of mygica devices also...

But if i can learn to recover the mygica devices from inside , i will still buying this mark of high quality, thanks.