Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nonothing

Won't Install???BETA ATV1800/582/380 QUAD CORE GMS FIRMWARE

I've tried everything and the BETA ATV1800/582/380 QUAD CORE GMS FIRMWARE Won't Install on my ATV 1800e???

I've tried everything I'm a the latest firmware now which I updated a week ago and its running fine but no matter if I use an SD or Jump drive it doesn't see the file. I tried it in the zip form unzipped and raw files and nothing. Any help from someone who's installed this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I downloaded the zip file, extracted it to a folder, copied the .img file to a SD card. Placed the SD card in the device, unplugged the box. Here's where it gets tricky. Use a pen or pencil point to hold the reset button on the back while plugging in the power again. It started the update at that point,

If you cannot see the file.

Hit the 3 lined Context menu button 10 times on the remote while in the Local Update Upgrade app, it should appear now.

Or you can just to Quick Boot app to take you into Recovery mode and upgrade that way.

Re: Won't Install???BETA ATV1800/582/380 QUAD CORE GMS FIRMW

Post by johnmacpherson » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:36 pm

I downloaded the zip file, extracted it to a folder, copied the .img file to a SD card. Placed the SD card in the device, unplugged the box. Here's where it gets tricky. Use a pen or pencil point to hold the reset button on the back while plugging in the power again. It started the update at that point,

Won't Install???BETA ATV1800/582/380 QUAD CORE GMS FIRMWARE

Post by nonothing » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 am

When you unzipped it did you just get another zipped file lie I did or did you unzip it again like I did and then get a bunch of folders and more zipped files and which one did you you use. The first single unzipped file or the second batch of files.

Unzip the file into the root of an SD card. There should be one IMG file there.

Go to Quick boot and boot into recovery.

Select the complete data wipe option (i forget what its acutally called)

arrow down to the YES option

This will data reset your firmware.

Now select the install firmware option. Tell it where it is (SD card)

Then select the IMG file and hit enter

It will flash firmware

Reboot and it will load the new screen with all new firmware and apps

Make sure you backup first.

Have fun.

Re: Won't Install???BETA ATV1800/582/380 QUAD CORE GMS FIRMW

Postby Justin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:44 pm

If you cannot see the file.

Hit the 3 lined Context menu button 10 times on the remote while in the Local Update Upgrade app, it should appear now.

Or you can just to Quick Boot app to take you into Recovery mode and upgrade that way.

This worked thanks Jason

I had to unplug the unit cause it froze for an hour and it rebooted and started the flash again but froze again and the third time it went through but I had black lines at the top of KODI when I was playing a video from my jump drive and not the normal black lines these did not go to the end on the screen and they were in addition to the normal 16X9 bars. I've reflashed to the last stable XBMC flash but the bars are still there. I'm going to update to KODI 14.1 myself and see if that fixes it because before I started all this I had it installed and it worked perfectly.

So I got it to finally take the update properly but I had to use the method that freakrant suggested below to get it to work properly. Thanks freakrant.

When I used your method Justin it booted right to installing the new firmware and then froze at about 90% installed on the little robot screen and the green ball of string in his stomach stopped turning and I waited a good hour. The only way to get it to go again was to unplug the unit which I know is bad and could turn my unit into a brick that's why I'm posting this so others don't have the same issue. After the third time doing that it finally installed but it wasn't pretty the screen went all wonky and I had triple overlapped screens for a while and that cleared but the apps all had a mind of their own and would open and close while I was in them. So I used freakrant's method but I had to make one mod which was to leave the SD card out until it fully booted into the recovery mode and could see the screen where you select wipe data/factory reset and then I put the SD card in and wiped the data. Now everything is fine. But I didn't want to stay at the BETA firmware so I went back to the previous stable flash and tehn upgrade to KODI 14.2 on my own and everything is working fine.

Postby freakrant » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Unzip the file into the root of an SD card. There should be one IMG file there.

Go to Quick boot and boot into recovery.

Select the complete data wipe option (i forget what its acutally called)

arrow down to the YES option

This will data reset your firmware.

Now select the install firmware option. Tell it where it is (SD card)

Then select the IMG file and hit enter

It will flash firmware

Reboot and it will load the new screen with all new firmware and apps

Make sure you backup first.

Have fun.

freakrant

I'm glad it all worked out for you. However, remember that when you upgrade to the latest alpha from Modi web site it will work but all of your 4K abilities are gone. This might/might not matter to you Nonothing, but it might be a deal breaker for others. This is why I mentioned it.

As for the firmware update, it is always better to wipe cache and data rather than do a dirty flash. This firmware wiped your settings anyway so it didn't matter.

In future updates, you might not want to do a data wipe to keep your custom configuration in tacked.

Peace.

Thanks again freakrant and Justin

And I don't mind playing around with BETA stuff I find it fun and you always learn something

No problem

And good to hear