Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chick

First impressions ATV586

Ok, I've had the box for a few days and here are my impressions.

- The box is very well built and has a solid feel

- The remote is very nice and layed out well, not a generic remote like other boxes

- Quick boot up, takes around 20 seconds for initial boot and , and about 2 seconds to "power down" and about 4 seconds to "power up" with the remote

- The box is very responsive to remote commands

- Nice launcher with a large window on the left with a live picture (ATSC) of the last channel viewed

- The ATSC tuner is a very nice feature to those that have a projector and not a conventional TV with a built in tuner!

Some things I've experienced while using so far:

- While changing channels in the DTV Player (ATSC tuner), the channel up (+) actually changes the channel down or lower. It does the same thing when pressing the up directional arrow

- Live IPTV apps stuttered quite a bit after initially configuring Kodi, but this was quickly resolved by enabling hardware accelleration in settings (was off by default)

- Several Kodi crashes during use and would go back to the launcher. When re launching Kodi, the sound from the channel ATSC tuner could still be heard. Only way to get that to stop would be to reboot (held the power button down and selected reboot).

I'll post additional things as I use the box more.

that was a great review, and first impression buddy, we will forward your info to our Dev Team for further review and fixing

again thank you, we need these types of inputs

Thanks!

I should've made it clear that the channel up and down are reversed, so pressing down the channel goes up and vice versa. Also, I am unable to get Kodi to crash now, it appears that enabling hardware acceleration may have solved the issue. ?

As far as the ATSC tuner goes, it seems to be good as I typically have a hard time picking up Fox but this tuner pulled it right in with a pretty strong signal.

All in all I am very happy so far with this box.

The channel up / down issue is being worked on by Engineers. It's a North American preference they were not aware of.

In other parts of the world they prefer it the way it is.

The Kodi and Launcher issues were aware of as well.

We plan to have new Firmware for 586 next week, to fix a lot of the current issues with it.

We plan to have new Firmware for 586 next week, to fix a lot of the current issues with it.

That sounds great Justin. Can't wait to load it and give it a try. Thanks!

Will the new firmware be OTA or a download and manual install? Thanks.

Will the new firmware be OTA or a download and manual install? Thanks.

Won't know this till it is available.

Hi there, just to add my own experience...

I've been using my ATV586 for about 2-3 weeks now, and find it very easy to use.

- OTA features are good; scanning channels, guides, etc. are all better than those on the TV's I own (Sony, Panasonic and a cheap Seiki).

- Kodi works easily with no issues. The remote takes some getting use to, just because it is different. I tend to use a USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It found my NAS without any issues to play music/movies/pictures. If Kodi is not exited when the box goes on Standby, restarting it goes to Kodi, but the sound from the OTA comes though. Easy fix is just exit Kodi, and reopen it.

- Netflix works fine. Again, keyboard is easier than the remote.

- other apps added from the Google store work with no real problems. Includes other movie players, file managers, IPTV.

The one item that I find, is sometime the box cuts out the sound (intermittent). This happens on:

-OTA (DTV) while changing channels; takes about 10-15 secs for the sound to "stabilize". Once it's 'locked in' it's good.

-Kodi/Netflix for no real reason. Watching a streaming source and the sound can 'cut' at any time. Again, not typically for more than a second or two.

Overall, I like the box, and the remote.

I dropped cable, and replaced my first generation AppleTV (running Crystalbuntu XBMC) with the ATV586 and I'm liking it.

Nice to have all my viewing options from one box.

Hi there, just to add my own experience...

I've been using my ATV586 for about 2-3 weeks now, and find it very easy to use.

- OTA features are good; scanning channels, guides, etc. are all better than those on the TV's I own (Sony, Panasonic and a cheap Seiki).

- Kodi works easily with no issues. The remote takes some getting use to, just because it is different. I tend to use a USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It found my NAS without any issues to play music/movies/pictures. If Kodi is not exited when the box goes on Standby, restarting it goes to Kodi, but the sound from the OTA comes though. Easy fix is just exit Kodi, and reopen it.

- Netflix works fine. Again, keyboard is easier than the remote.

- other apps added from the Google store work with no real problems. Includes other movie players, file managers, IPTV.

The one item that I find, is sometime the box cuts out the sound (intermittent). This happens on:

-OTA (DTV) while changing channels; takes about 10-15 secs for the sound to "stabilize". Once it's 'locked in' it's good.

-Kodi/Netflix for no real reason. Watching a streaming source and the sound can 'cut' at any time. Again, not typically for more than a second or two.

Overall, I like the box, and the remote.

I dropped cable, and replaced my first generation AppleTV (running Crystalbuntu XBMC) with the ATV586 and I'm liking it.

Nice to have all my viewing options from one box.

Thanks for the feedback

We will have a New Firmware update for the 586 within the next week or so to fix some issues

We are also working on adding Channel Icons, and making a new horizontal Display EPG Guide.

Justin is in China right now, he may or may not be able to respond to forums. I don't know how their censorship laws work.

I hope he stays away from the deep fried Cat, last time he kept licking himself for a week.