Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PizzedOff

Upgrading 4.1.2 to 4.2

I am attempting to upgrade the system but it's NOT WORKING.

I followed the steps to the letter.

The system reads the SD card, shows the android icon and then it shows it's installing.. then it reboots.. and when it comes back on, it just goes to a black screen and nothing else.. the lights on the box are blue but I'm getting absolutely nothing beyond that.. the only way I could get the machine to work again is to wipe it and do a clean install of the 4.1.2.. so what's going on here?!

The system reads the SD card, shows the android icon and then it shows it's installing.. then it reboots.. and when it comes back on, it just goes to a black screen and nothing else.. the lights on the box are blue but I'm getting absolutely nothing beyond that.. the only way I could get the machine to work again is to wipe it and do a clean install of the 4.1.2.. so what's going on here?!

It sounds like your SD Card is missing some files on it

Make sure there are 5 files on the root of the SD card. Also make sure no other files are on the SD card.

And also the SD Card must be formatted to FAT 32

It sounds like your SD Card is missing some files on it

Make sure there are 5 files on the root of the SD card. Also make sure no other files are on the SD card.

And also the SD Card must be formatted to FAT 32

Like I said, I followed the instructions to the letter. All 5 files are on the SD card (files downloaded from this site). It's a brand new SD card with no other files but the ones needed for the upgrade. It's also formatted to FAT32 by default. It still does not work...

I think the problem lies in the recovery.img file that comes with your zip package. It doesn't install.. I tried to do it manually and it always fails. The other .img file installs correctly..

Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I think the problem lies in the recovery.img file that comes with your zip package. It doesn't install.. I tried to do it manually and it always fails. The other .img file installs correctly..

Did you switch the IMG file that was included with the 4 other files?

If so, you have to switch the .AML file to text document and make sure the File name matches the exact name of the IMG file that is on your SD card

If so, you have to switch the .AML file to text document and make sure the File name matches the exact name of the IMG file that is on your SD card

I didn't change or rename any files as that isn't in the instructions to upgrade the box.

I copied the following from the zip to the SD card and then tried to let the box do the rest..

factory_update_param.aml

factory_update_param.ubt

spi_MX.bin

recovery.img

update_MyGica_4.2_20140519_KR34.img

If I need to modify the file names and/or extensions, then can you repost the 5 files and what they should look like with the appropriate extensions? Otherwise I don't follow..

On the 4.1.2 install, the recovery file isn't an .img file and that install works. I tried to change that on the 4.2 package but I still get the black screen after the box reboots after the android icon runs it's process. So I've ruled that out.

I didn't change or rename any files as that isn't in the instructions to upgrade the box.

I copied the following from the zip to the SD card and then tried to let the box do the rest..

factory_update_param.aml

factory_update_param.ubt

spi_MX.bin

recovery.img

update_MyGica_4.2_20140519_KR34.img

If I need to modify the file names and/or extensions, then can you repost the 5 files and what they should look like with the appropriate extensions? Otherwise I don't follow..

On the 4.1.2 install, the recovery file isn't an .img file and that install works. I tried to change that on the 4.2 package but I still get the black screen after the box reboots after the android icon runs it's process. So I've ruled that out.

This is what I did..

1) Downloaded MyGica_4.2_ATV400_20140616_KR34.zip from this website.

2) Extracted the files to another folder and then opened that folder to view the 6 files (including the text document instructions)

3) I copied and pasted the 5 files (.aml, .ubt, .bin, .img x 2) to a brand new FAT32 MicroSD card

4) I put the MicroSD card into the MyGica box.

5) I rebooted the box into the upgrade mode as required..

6) The box turns on, shows that it's upgrading (Android guy and the status bar) and then the box reboots.

7) On rebooting, the box doesn't load anything.. it's just a black screen.. no cursor, no nothing.. light on the box is blue so it's not bricked.

So I followed the instructions.. did nothing different.. and it doesn't work..

For troubleshooting, I pulled the SD card and pressed the upgrade button and rebooted again to the Android menu screen.

Then I formatted the box and reset it back to factory.. I then tried to see which files wouldn't install.. I tried the Recovery.img file and it failed to install.. then I tried the update_MyGica_4.2_20140519_kr34.img and that file did install.. but when I reboot, it's still the same black screen.

To get the box working again, I had to wipe it, put the 4.1.2 software on the SD card and redo the steps (same as the upgrade) and I was able to get the box working again.. I did this process 3x last night and every single time I tried to upgrade to 4.2, it didn't work.

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly

Just not sure why your box wont take the update.

The exact files we have posted have been used many many times to upgrade to 4.2. You cannot install the 4.2 IMG File by itself if you are running 4.1, you need the 5 files to go with it.

Are you able to try a different SD Card maybe?

The exact files we have posted have been used many many times to upgrade to 4.2. You cannot install the 4.2 IMG File by itself if you are running 4.1, you need the 5 files to go with it.

The 4.2 can be installed manually though, that's the thing. I know because I did it.. but the recovery.img file won't install at all.. the system scans it and then says the install failed.. otherwise I should be able to manually install that one as well. Of course, the MyGica box wouldn't work because the other 3 files aren't installed but it's a good indicator of which file is causing the system to stall. I would also rule out the SD card because if it was the SD card, the first file wouldn't install nor would the MyGica box boot to the upgrade screen and run the process. It doesn't make sense for 1 file to work and the other not to. If it was the SD card, none of the files would be recognized and/or installed when I run the update.

The 4.1.2 zip file only contains 1 .img file and that install works.. so why did it change for the 4.2 upgrade?

I am also assuming I cannot do a clean install of the 4.2? I.e. wipe the system and directly install it w/o the 4.1.2?

The 4.2 can be installed manually though, that's the thing. I know because I did it.. but the recovery.img file won't install at all.. the system scans it and then says the install failed.. otherwise I should be able to manually install that one as well. Of course, the MyGica box wouldn't work because the other 3 files aren't installed but it's a good indicator of which file is causing the system to stall. I would also rule out the SD card because if it was the SD card, the first file wouldn't install nor would the MyGica box boot to the upgrade screen and run the process. It doesn't make sense for 1 file to work and the other not to. If it was the SD card, none of the files would be recognized and/or installed when I run the update.

The 4.1.2 zip file only contains 1 .img file and that install works.. so why did it change for the 4.2 upgrade?

I am also assuming I cannot do a clean install of the 4.2? I.e. wipe the system and directly install it w/o the 4.1.2?

I have been upgrading units from 4.1 to 4.2 and also re installing 4.2 onto ATV 400, 520E and 1200s since April 2014.

I have only been using these exact files that I uploaded for this. So I cannot see the recovery.img file as being the issue.

I have tried doing the upgrade from different OS such as KODI Linux, and it did not work for me.

So you will have to be running 4.1 or 4.2 before hand to do the upgrade.

The MyGica box is running 4.1.2.. I can assure you of that.. if it was a user error, then I would be installing the 4.1.2 back onto the MyGica box incorrectly as well.. so I'm not sure what the deal is with this box.. :\ It's extremely frustrating.

I just tried to install again and it still doesn't work..

1) I formatted my SD card, made it FAT32 again.

2) Unzipped and loaded the 5 files onto the SD card.

3) Unplugged the MyGica box.

4) Inserted the SD card, pressed the pin, and rebooted.

5) The first step works and then reboots once it's done installing it.. but then on reboot, nothing happens (black screen).

I remove the SD card and re-start in recovery mode.. re-insert the SD card and go to manually install the update..

Again, the main update works but the recovery file just aborts every single time.. so it has to be that.. maybe it's corrupt.. no idea.. but I'm 100% that's the issue that's causing the box to not upgrade properly and not work until I wipe + downgrade it back to 4.1.2.

I've re-downloaded the zip file 3x.. and it's always the same issue.. are you POSITIVE that both files need to be .img?

Have you tried to do a wipe of the box. Pin in back and reformat screen, I think it's option 4 or 5. Then on your SD card have only the .IMG file, delete the others, reload it for the option that says the EXT file, maybe option 2.

Worked for me.

Sorry, can't be more accurate, as I writing for this old memory of mine.

Have you tried to do a wipe of the box. Pin in back and reformat screen, I think it's option 4 or 5. Then on your SD card have only the .IMG file, delete the others, reload it for the option that says the EXT file, maybe option 2.

Worked for me.

Sorry, can't be more accurate, as I writing for this old memory of mine.

I've wiped it. Gone to the reformat screen. Manually installed the .IMG file and rebooted and it's still a black screen when it boots up.