Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ravendagrey

Any chance we will see 5.1.1 Lollipop

What security features? Don't most of them apply if a phone is stolen? Lollipop itself has been full of bugs, and 5.1.1 still doesn't address many of them. I still have issues like lock screen notifications popping up after 6 months on my phone.

There is more to it then that, 5.1 brought a new api level and 5.1.1 had various bug fixes. Considering the AOSP for android 6 has been released for well over a month and 5.1.1 was released in march wouldn't it make sense that they should have compiled at least a beta 5.1.1 build by now and who knows it may actually fix some of the issues we're having as it would be a fresh attempt at putting in the drivers and etc.

The problem with with upgrading to new OS versions of Android is that we fully rely on our SOC manufacturer which in this case is AMLogic

Since they provide all box manufacturers that use AMLogic SOCs the Android SDK to use and then edit to work on all of there devices or in some cases they just use what AMlogic gave them without making any changes.

AMlogic has made 5.1 available for S802/S812 and S805 chipsets, but it is only a Beta version running Kernel version 3.10.33. All you are really getting from this is just a facelift of Android.

After speaking with them, there main focus right now is S905 and S912 SOCs running Android 5.1 and Kernel version 3.14.xx

Once these new SOCs launch, then they will make a final upgrade to 5.1 running Kernel Version 3.14.xx for S802/S812 and S805 chipsets

I do not think there will be 6.0 and above released from AMLogic for the S8XX series of SOC's.

All of the main changes to 5.1 OS from google run on Kernel 3.14.XX.

Having used a S905 Box running 5.1 and Kernel Version 3.14.xx I do notice more changes, such as Automatic framerate switching built into the OS which is feature that will be used with KODI 15.XX and better HDMI CEC control among other things.

I am running 5.1 on a few other Android devices and to be honest I do not like it, it has a long list of problems. Mainly my SD Card and even my SIM Card from not being recognized and I constantly have to reboot my phone almost everyday for it to recognize again.

I have not seen Android 6.0 from AMLogic yet.

Thank you for the detailed answer, that was exactly what I was looking for. From my experience on other android devices (nexus 4,nexus 5, oneplus one) 5.1.1 has been the most stable lollipop build, as I can tell you first hand on the nexus 4 ive used every version from jellybean 4.0. Now I know why 5.1.1 is out for other amlogic boxes such as the mx3 as they are running the 13.10 kernel.

Thank you for the detailed answer, that was exactly what I was looking for. From my experience on other android devices (nexus 4,nexus 5, oneplus one) 5.1.1 has been the most stable lollipop build, as I can tell you first hand on the nexus 4 ive used every version from jellybean 4.0. Now I know why 5.1.1 is out for other amlogic boxes such as the mx3 as they are running the 13.10 kernel.

After a call I had last night with our team in China, they did tell me that AMlogic has shared a new version of 5.1 with them recently for the S8XX SOC's

I could not get an answer though on a public release date for this, since we modify AMlogics SDK for our boxes.

Everybody please do not ask me for this repeatedly either as I just don't know right now.

Another issue you might find with other manufacturers that use AMlogic SOCs is that they haven't moved to 5.0 or 5.1 due to DTS and DD problems.

Most companies will claim they use the S802-H/S805-H/S812-H series of chipsets which is supposed to Hardware Decode DTS and DD, but to be honest with you this is usually not the case since you need to pay license fees to DD and DTS to use this, this adds cost on top of the price that AMlogic sells the series without DTS and DD. So in this scenario if a manufacturer actually paid for these 2 licenses it would add about 20% more onto the price for both licenses per box.

So what they did on 4.4.2 was figure out how to software decode it within the OS. But from what I am told, engineers have not figured out how to software decode it yet on 5.0 and 5.1.

In our case we actually do pay for the DD license to allow Hardware decoding, but we do not pay for DTS license.