Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattdon

Slow ethernet connection

I've got an 1800, connected via ethernet. My connection @ home is 60mbps DL, my 1800 will only hit 18-20mbps thru Ookla Speedtest. I run the same speed test on my iMac right after test on 1800, and iMac hits 63-65 mbps DL no problem. Any thoughts on this? What is the max speed the 1800 will handle??? Running Firmware v11/19

I've got an 1800, connected via ethernet. My connection @ home is 60mbps DL, my 1800 will only hit 18-20mbps thru Ookla Speedtest. I run the same speed test on my iMac right after test on 1800, and iMac hits 63-65 mbps DL no problem. Any thoughts on this? What is the max speed the 1800 will handle??? Running Firmware v11/19

Are you running the Ethernet cable through a Ethernet Switch or Powerline?

Hey Justin,

I just connected my 1800e directly to my modem and bypassed the switch... still only 25-30 MBPS download... Unplugged the 1800e, tried on my computer, and it's flying at 65 MBPS... Any thoughts/suggestions/solutions????

????

My 1800e is still only at 25-30 on my 60mbps connection. Tried direct to the modem, different ethernet cables, etc. Also just tried the wifi, and it's only coming in at 2-5mbps.... What can be done to fix this???

This is pretty frustrating... not just the crappy wired speeds I'm getting, but also the lack of support....

The speeds I keep getting on my 1800e range from 10-25 MBPS. After every time I test it on the 1800, I'll try on my computer and without fail I will get 63+ MBPS... Something is definitely not right with this 1800e!

There is a burst mode feature that I will post as a patch file here for everyone to try

I should have it within a week or so.

This is hard to determine as an issue, because at our office we have 50mb download internet, all of our PCs connected via Ethernet get 49.5MBps download speed when using Speed test, and is the exact same on any 582, 1800, 1900, 586 etc that we try.

So I have no idea really how to determine what is causing this issue for some people and not others. That has what's been the tough part with all of this.

I've got the same slow connection problem with my ATV1200 on ethernet and wifi. I have a 15Mb link and all my devices on my network except for the 1200 measure the speed at 15. MyGica doesn't go higher than 5Mbits. I've hard reset the box, tested. I tried the new patch, tested. I tried soft reset, tested. All tests measure 5Mbits.

I was over at my friend's place over the Christmas holidays and he complained slow Ethernet connection to his ATV1800. The very first thing I did was look at the spec of his Ethernet cable. CAT 5 spec max speed 10 MB but realistically, a speed of 5-6mb considering that the cable from the basement to the living room and 80-90ft long (he wired his house some 8-9 years ago. I took him to the store and bought a power line. Ensured that his Ethernet cable from the router and to the ATV1800 from the power line was CAT6. Viola...his speed is now closer to 30 mb (closer to his sub speed). And he is all happy and no longer cursed the ATV1800 box! He thought he had a crappy box! LOL.

Must have been something else. Cat 5 cable is good for 100mbs and runs of 100 meters. My house is wired with Cat 5 and I was getting 94mbs on an 80+ foot run. A bad end connector or staple thru the cable are typical causes for bad performance.

Very old versions of cat 5 with a max of 10mb exist and when they put the pre wire, they buy the cheapest because no one tell them the specs or they do not have a clue of the spec difference. But you are also correct on the possible issues ...ie bad connector or staple thru cable.

Must have been something else. Cat 5 cable is good for 100mbs and runs of 100 meters. My house is wired with Cat 5 and I was getting 94mbs on an 80+ foot run. A bad end connector or staple thru the cable are typical causes for bad performance.

Wow thanks for sharing this

I actually never knew they made Cat 5 cable with such low speeds.

Doesn't even make sense really, since Ethernet cable is so cheap to begin with.

I will have to keep this in mind from now on.

I have worked on over a dozen of the 1800's and have found the same issue with the Ethernet download speeds...when I speed test them they seem to max out at 50 to 60 mps...on the 1900 it reads my full speed which is 110mps....is there something different software or hardware wise between them?

I have worked on over a dozen of the 1800's and have found the same issue with the Ethernet download speeds...when I speed test them they seem to max out at 50 to 60 mps...on the 1900 it reads my full speed which is 110mps....is there something different software or hardware wise between them?

Have you tried these steps?

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4028

Have any solutions come up for this issue? I best I can get is 3.5mbps down but am getting 9mbps up?

ethernet or wifi is the same. It wasn't a big deal when I kept my media local but now that I have moved it to a server its impossible to watch anything better then 720p

Have any solutions come up for this issue? I best I can get is 3.5mbps down but am getting 9mbps up?

ethernet or wifi is the same. It wasn't a big deal when I kept my media local but now that I have moved it to a server its impossible to watch anything better then 720p

Did you try what has been suggested by other users here?

Holding down the 3 lined button on the remote to release background apps and memory?

yes but it only increases the speed by 1.5 mbps down for about 5 min.

This has been brought up on another thread as well in terms of a solution

Is the Ethernet cable you are using when connected to the box, does it happen to be a 10MBPS Max speed cable?