Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Erudmuc

How to connect the ATV 586 to a TV with no HDMI input

Hi

I would like to connect my atv 586 to TV that has no HDMI inputs but has the following 3 inputs:

1) RCA composite video input (Yellow) audio input (Red/White)

2) RCA componemet video inputs (Red/Green/Blue) audio Input (Red/White)

3) S-video

Do I need a HDMI to RCA coverter box to be able to connect the ATV 586 to the TV that I described above or is the 586 able to do the conversion and all I would need to buy is a HDMI to RCA cable?

If a converter box is needed does MyGica sell any converter boxes that I could purchase or if they do not can you recommend one?

Thanks

Erudmuc

I'm looking to purchase an ATV 586 (to get the built-in TV tuner) but want to find out about connecting it to a non-HDMI ported TV first.

Hoping that someone with some experience answers your question.

Thanks!

Not sure why they didn't make an adapter like the 582. If you look around you can find cheap ($6-$8 CDN) hdmi to rca cables, not sure if they would work though. I get my stuff from dx dot com. Bought everything from led lights to patch cables. One of the last things I bought from there were 1/8"audio cables that stretched out (like a telephone handset cord) for something like $1.50. The wife asked me why I bought 3. Um, because they're $1.50 each? :-)

The ATV 586 only supports HDMI for Video and Audio

I have not tested any HDMI to RCA cables on it before, so I am not sure if it will work

I have tried these types of cables before on other devices without much success

Hi all,

I've tried connecting the ATV 586 to a non HDMI TV using a HDMI to RCA cable but it does not work. :(

Looks like a will need to buy a HDMI to RCA converter box to be able to hook it up to a non HDMI TV.

I'm in the process of trying to see which converter box to buy. There are many in the market and it's not easy to decide which one to buy.

As soon as I make my decision and purchase one and receive it; I will let you know if I was able to use a converter box to connect the ATV 586 to a non HDMI TV.

Erudmuc

you need a hdmi adapter, i made a post here viewtopic.php?f=145&t=3459 . The main problem is the TV resolution and the HDMI adapter, what I found is that HDMI to RCA results in a very poor image quality. My TV is not HD, but has VGA input (1024x768). Using a HDMI / VGA adapter and modyfing the ATV586 output resolution via a boot script, the image quality is good (1024x768).

I made a post un my blog where you can see some photos with the HDMI/RCA adapter (poor quality) and the VGA (good quality) : http://abrazalaweb.net/2015/10/mygica-a ... ogic-s805/

I bought the adapters in ebay (also check Amazon) just looking for HDMI2RCA . HDMI2VGA, they are dheap (about 20$)

you need a hdmi adapter, i made a post here viewtopic.php?f=145&t=3459 . The main problem is the TV resolution and the HDMI adapter, what I found is that HDMI to RCA results in a very poor image quality. My TV is not HD, but has VGA input (1024x768). Using a HDMI / VGA adapter and modyfing the ATV586 output resolution via a boot script, the image quality is good (1024x768).

I made a post un my blog where you can see some photos with the HDMI/RCA adapter (poor quality) and the VGA (good quality) : http://abrazalaweb.net/2015/10/mygica-a ... ogic-s805/

I bought the adapters in ebay (also check Amazon) just looking for HDMI2RCA . HDMI2VGA, they are dheap (about 20$)

Hi Orutra,

I've read through the posts that you have referenced and if I understand you correctly since I have a TV that has both HDMI and RCA inputs I should be able to do the following:

1) connect my ATV 586 to the HDMI input of my TV

2) go into the display menu of the ATV586 and change the HDMI display setting to 480 P

3) then without shutting down the ATV586 I unplug the HDMI cable going from the ATV586 to the HDMI input of my TV

4) and connect my HDMI to RCA cable from the ATV586 to the RCA input of my TV and I should be able to see an image

Correct?

If the above is correct I guess then there is a problem with the HDMI to RCA cable I bought.

Below is a link to the cable I bought

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8WX3699269&_ga=1.93895518.2137082830.1437591819

Is this the correct cable I should be using?

If not can you please post a link of the HDMI to RCA cable you are using in your setup?

Thanks

Erudmuc

Hello,

What I don't understand is why you want to connect the ATV586 to the RCA input of your TV if it has HDMI input.

I answer your questions:

1) connect my ATV 586 to the HDMI input of my TV

This is What you should do if the TV has a HDMI input

2) go into the display menu of the ATV586 and change the HDMI display setting to 480 P

This is not necessary, in my case I had to do this because the HDMI2VGA adapter didn't support 1080p or 720p when conected to the TV VGA input. My TV only has RCA and VGA inputs (PAL, NTSC & 1024x768 resolutions only), if my TV were HD compatible, this would not be necessary. The HDMI2AV (RCA) adapter did not have this problem, that is, the image was shown on the TV with 1080p selected on the ATV586, but with a very poor quality (making Android app un sable, check the photo on my blog)

3) then without shutting down the ATV586 I unplug the HDMI cable going from the ATV586 to the HDMI input of my TV

I did this because when powering off the ATV586, when it boots, it defaults to 720p output, which would not work with my HDMI2VGA adapter

4) and connect my HDMI to RCA cable from the ATV586 to the RCA input of my TV and I should be able to see an image

I reconnected the power ed on ATV586 to the HDMI2VGA adapter, my problem ws the VGA resolution for the TV, which does allows to use the Mygica, and the app

Your cable is not a HDMI to RCA adapter, those cables are used for devices that allow a digital input through their RCA input. Remember that HDMI is digital and RCA is analogic, some electronics are needed to convert the signal, if the TV hasn't , you need an adapter/convertir. Mine is similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-HDTV-Mini-C ... Sw3ydV0ZN2

But, are you sure you want to connect to the RCA input when the TV has HDMI input?

Well, reading again your posts, I assume you have 2 TV's, and you want to connect the ATV586 to the TV that has no HDMI input, but has RCA, RGB and Supervideo inputs, correct?

In that case, I advise you not to use the HDMI2AV (RCA) adapter/converter, since the image on the TV has very poor quality, you'll see the TV, but the text and android apps are unusable (PAL/NTSC resolution is very poor form the ATV586 thorugh the AV/RCA adapter).

If your TV has a RGB (yPbPr) input, that means that it is HD compatible (HD ready of Full HD) and it supports better resolution that RCA. In that case you should try a HDMI to yPbPr converter/adapter, similar to these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-RGB-Com ... SwUdlWg8HO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-1080P-C ... Sw7hRWQEpe

(they are cheaper if you buy them form China sellers...)

Regards,

Arturo

Well, reading again your posts, I assume you have 2 TV's, and you want to connect the ATV586 to the TV that has no HDMI input, but has RCA, RGB and Supervideo inputs, correct?

In that case, I advise you not to use the HDMI2AV (RCA) adapter/converter, since the image on the TV has very poor quality, you'll see the TV, but the text and android apps are unusable (PAL/NTSC resolution is very poor form the ATV586 thorugh the AV/RCA adapter).

If your TV has a RGB (yPbPr) input, that means that it is HD compatible (HD ready of Full HD) and it supports better resolution that RCA. In that case you should try a HDMI to yPbPr converter/adapter, similar to these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-RGB-Com ... SwUdlWg8HO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-1080P-C ... Sw7hRWQEpe

(they are cheaper if you buy them form China sellers...)

Regards,

Arturo

Hi Orutra,

Thanks for your feedback. I finally got a chance to answer you.

Yes that is correct. I have 2 TV's and I want to connect the ATV586 to the TV that has no HDMI input, but has RCA, RGB and Supervideo inputs.

I purchased the HDMI to yPbPr converter/adapter as you had recommended.

I specifically purchased the one from the first web link you posted and now I'm able to use the ATV586 on my TV that has no HDMI input and the image quality is still very good.

Just to add more information to this post the non HDMI input TV I've connected the ATV586 to using the HDMI to yPbPr converter/adapter is a Sony KP-51HW40.

Once again thanks for your help and feedback Orutra.

Erudmuc