Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joels

Is this player worth it?

Hi.

I've got the opportunity to buy this player.

I have a few questions.

Is it stable. Would you recommend it.

Does it support exfat.

No one commented on your post so i'll chime in. ATV 585 is one of our most stable and reliable boxes ever made.

Interesting response. My impression is that ATV585 does H.265 decoding in hardware and, I assume, H.264 in software, whereas ATV582 does H.264 in hardware and H.265 in software. Am I wrong about that? I'd love to get a definitive answer.

Anyhow, H.265 is the codec of the future, but, is it the codec of the present, or is H.264 still the predominant standard? Assuming I'm right about the h/w / s/w, H.264/H.265 business then my answer to "Would you recommend it?" would be "that depends on how the content you intend to stream with it was encoded." On the other hand, if I'm wrong, why have two different SKUs for essentially the same box?

Interesting response. My impression is that ATV585 does H.265 decoding in hardware and, I assume, H.264 in software, whereas ATV582 does H.264 in hardware and H.265 in software. Am I wrong about that? I'd love to get a definitive answer.

Anyhow, H.265 is the codec of the future, but, is it the codec of the present, or is H.264 still the predominant standard? Assuming I'm right about the h/w / s/w, H.264/H.265 business then my answer to "Would you recommend it?" would be "that depends on how the content you intend to stream with it was encoded." On the other hand, if I'm wrong, why have two different SKUs for essentially the same box?

585 hardware decodes both H.264 and H.265

Can be seen here on AMlogics website

http://amlogic.com/#Products/178/index.html

For the S805 Chipset.

S802 will only hardware decode H.264 and software decode H.265, which with some feedback from other members on this forum, software decoding does not work very well.

H.264 I find is still the standard when it comes to video codecs of the present. Based on the content available from streaming sites.

But H.265 Will become the standard probably within a year or so.

Currently there is not a wide range of H.265 Encoders available on the market, so that is probably why you will still see more H.264 content available over H.265.