Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarcusMaximus

Ethernet port stopped working overnight

Woke up this morning to find my 1900 totally frozen with a black screen. On a restart my device returned to normal but the ethernet connection doesnt appear to work. Restarted my device and router with no luck. Checked the hardware and I do have a light on the physical port. Tried to switch the ethernet port off and on in the setting with joy. Thank goodness for wifi...

Any ideas how I can fix my ethernet port or take additional steps to debug?

First, a couple comments on your observations of the problem. The router does not need reset; confirm this by trying an internet connection from any other device. The light on the physical ethernet port is probably yellow, but not blinking. Most likely the same for everyone with ethernet problems, who may think the ethernet is actually working. I believe the light should be green and blinking when actually working at gigabit speed (as advertised). Note: Green only possible if the port on the router being used is also gigabit--else yellow blinking (100Mb) is valid.

Now the 'solution'/workaround. You will need to do this sequence for EVERY startup. 1) disconnect both power and network plugs from the unit for a couple seconds. 2) plug in power plug and wait about 5 seconds 3) plug in network plug. The yellow light should be flashing. You're good to go. This connection will work for a session, but not indefinitely. Sometimes the playback will slow down or stop after 20 minutes. The box does have issues. Unless the box has a hardware issue, this is firmware-fixable. Justin, if you're listening, you can PM me....as I doubt the firmware being tested addresses this issue.

Let us know if at least the startup sequence works for you.

+1 to KookyGica's comments.

I don't even bother to check if ethernet is working or not now.

For every new session I unplug power and network cable, reconnect and I'm good to go.

If I dont do this I'll come back to a new session with my 1900AC and ethernet will be gone.

I had never experience this issue until last night. I use Ethernet exclusively and when I turned the unit on last evening, I had no connection. I had to do as described above (although I didn't know this sequence in advance until reading it here today) and everything came back online. Up until now, I had never had any connection issues. I hope it doesn't become a chronic problem....

My ethernet port is buggy also. Never has had the greenlight come on even when plugged in at the modem port. and from the first week in Nov. 2015 it would stop and start working intermittently whenever cant pin it down to any instance, one time pulled plug and would only boot to lolipop screen and go black until I unplugged the Tp from the ethernet port. Good thing I have ac wifi or it may be a brick.

Had the same problem tonight, ethernet went down, had to unplug before it came back. Regular power off (red light) and power back on with the remote did not solve it, only pulling power.

Arg!