Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turbo

ATV-1800e running Kodi 15.2 crashing if backing out quickly

Hi,

I recently purchased a ATV-1800e (less than a month ago). When I was setting it up and logged into my Google Play account Kodi was upgraded to 15.2 Isengard. I find that while in Kodi, if I press the back button on the remote too quickly to return to the main screen, Kodi will freeze, crash, and return to the main Home / Launch screen with Apps & Settings. This problem is repeatable always, no matter if I power cycle the unit, reboot, or restart.

In the last week or two I am noticing a crackling / ticking noise in the audio when watching any type of video on Kodi, YouTube, etc. I have tried a different HDMI cable and different inputs on my TV. Plus the ticking noise is only present when playing the video, when I pause the video the audio is silent and there is no ticking noise. All of this indicates a problem with the ATV-1800e.

I would appreciate any feedback and / or comments on what to do about the problems above.

turbo

The best I can say is what I would do if it appears that I'm the only person that has this issue, and that is to reinstall Kodi 15.2.

I would delete Kodi from the settings/more settings/apps/all/Kodi then press on Kodi and uninstall.

Then I would go to Kodi.tv from the boxes browser and go to downloads/older downloads (near the bottom)/android/arm/15.2 and download.

Then go to app installer (I'm trying to remember if the 1800 has app installer or not) and "check local disk" and install.

To be on the safe side I would check for app installer first, then download the 15.2, then delete the existing 15.2 and reinstall via the installer.

Make sure you back up your Kodi first if you want to keep the build you have.

I have the same thing happen on my 1900ac, (Kodi 15.2) my solution is to slow down on hitting the return button and all is well. It's that extra click that takes you out of Kodi.

I tried the reinstall and it made no difference.

wjw and TheGorf thanks for your responses.

TheGorf I'm glad I am not the only one experiencing the "backing out too quickly" glitch. Maybe it's a bug in Kodi 15.2. Interesting that it happens in the ATV-1900ac as well. Maybe we can get this added to the bug list for future versions, or maybe it is already fixed in v16 Jarvis.

wjw I am more concerned about the audio crackling / ticking noise. I am wondering if I have a defective unit since this happens in the YouTube app as well. I almost feel like it gets worse the longer I am watching stuff on the MyGica, maybe it's just me being more aware of it. I can't imagine this being a software issue if it happens on YouTube as well. Could one of the components on the board be overheating? My unit is out in the open with lots of air flow and no nearby sources of heat. It's only one month old. If you think this could be software or OS related I can try a factory restore. I have tried different troubleshooting options including routing the audio directly to the TV speakers instead of the sound bar, and the crackling is still there, but more obvious when using the sound bar since the sound output is significantly better than the TV speakers.

I purchased another 1800e back in November and never had any of these two issues, however I recently gave it to a family member and it is overseas until April, so I can't use it for comparison. That unit is still running the stock Kodi 14.2 MyGica Edition. Is there a Kodi 15.2 MyGica Edition? Is there any significant advantage upgrading to Kodi 15.2 instead of running on the tweaked Kodi 14.2 MyGica Edition that is shipped with the unit?

Justin, I would appreciate you chiming in on the audio issue. I would like to know if there is a chance this could be a defective unit. I would be happy to do further troubleshooting to sort this out.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. wjw given that there are two issues, and the audio issue is present outside of Kodi I think I will opt for a factory restore rather than reinstalling Kodi. To answer your doubt, the 1800e does have the AppInstaller.

Cheers,

turbo

Stempy, I'm guessing we may have units from a bad batch. I was hoping Justin would chime in on behalf of the manufacturer, however it's been quiet. It's pretty annoying watching movies with the crackling/static. I should have posted the subject being the audio issues, and not the Kodi issue. I'm sure the backing out too quickly issue is a bug in Kodi 15.2.

Can a moderator change the subject of this thread to "ATV-1800e Audio issues (Crackling/static)"?

turbo

I have heard of this Audio crackling issue

It is not a hardware issue, seems to be a software issue with the Firmware that came pre installed on a recent batch we brought in.

Has to do with a version of Firmware from Oct 2015.

You can try an OTA Update, by using the Upgrade app that is pre installed

It should fix this, as I have tested this at our office.

The OTA Update server is back online, and has the Dec 2015 firmware available

Let me know your guys results

Justin, thanks for the tip and possible resolution. I have been trying to force an OTA update for the last couple of days and always get the "Connect Service Failed" message.

Thanks,

turbo

Justin,

Still no luck in doing an OTA update. Always says "Connect Service Failed". I've tried every day this week, at different times of the day. The latest firmware in the 1800e Downloads section is dated Nov. 19, 2015. You mentioned I should use the December version. Any chance you can post it here or point me to where I can get it. Once I get the file I will update my 1800e via SD card and confirm if this fixes the audio issues. Also please let me know if I have to factory reset to fix the audio issues, or if I can simply do the upgrade.

Thanks,

turbo

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=3652

If I remember correctly (and don't hold me to it) :) the November 19 manual update is pretty well the same as the December OTA.

What firmware are you running now? I took a quick look through the posts above but didn't see a reference to it.

Hi wjw,

Yes, it appears that the only difference between the Nov. 19, 2015 and Dec. 1, 2015 firmware is more language support. Justin mentioned this on the thread concerning the Dec 1 OTA update. So I will try the Nov. 19 file posted in the Downloads section in the next few days and see if the audio crackling / static disappears. I still cannot get the OTA update to work.

It looks like my ATV-1800e came with the Build V002M801_20151014. Justin had mentioned that he has seen the audio problem with units that were shipped with the October firmware.

Justin,

Any idea when the next firmware will be created? There were some RCA and HDMI problems that were fixed with patches after the last firmware (Dec. 1) that were supposed to be included in the next release. Any idea why with the October Build (firmware), my Kernel version says 20151223 (much more recent)? Can you let me know if the OTA server is working? I have not been able to retrieve the December update via OTA. I can still try the OTA update after manually updating to the Nov.19th firmware.

Thanks,

turbo

Thanks Justin,

I tried a manual update just before typing the previous message, and again several times right now, and it always says "Connect Service Failed". Is it possible that the October firmware might have the incorrect OTA server information? Why would my Kernel version be 20151223?

I'm going to leave the box powered up for a day (not in standby) and see if it takes an automatic update. If it is as big as the Nov. 19 file it is 500MB so maybe I need to leave it idle for a bit.

Cheers,

turbo

HI,

I can confirm that after installing the 20151119 via SD card that the audio static / crackling is gone. With this update I also can trigger a manual update to 20151201, however the downloading progress stays at 0% for days and never downloads... I guess the October firmware had the wrong OTA server info, since I was never able to connect to the OTA server. Now I can connect but nothing downloads...

Cheers,

turbo

HI,

I can confirm that after installing the 20151119 via SD card that the audio static / crackling is gone. With this update I also can trigger a manual update to 20151201, however the downloading progress stays at 0% for days and never downloads... I guess the October firmware had the wrong OTA server info, since I was never able to connect to the OTA server. Now I can connect but nothing downloads...

Cheers,

turbo

We have newer firmware updated and available on here

http://mygica.com/html/Support/