Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bcondemi

Writing To Large USB Drive

I've done much reading about the lack of support to read and write to large External Hard Drives but did find apps allowing me to write to the USB and SD card slots. namely 'SDFix' and Similar.

I'm able to read and write to an external harddrive that is 300G but lollipop can only see 10MB. If I plug the external drive to my laptop and fill it with 50 gigs of data, again lollipop see's it, it will even play large video files but no writing.

Anyone know of a way to allow writing to a large harddrive

Thank-you

BC

I've done much reading about the lack of support to read and write to large External Hard Drives but did find apps allowing me to write to the USB and SD card slots. namely 'SDFix' and Similar.

I'm able to read and write to an external harddrive that is 300G but lollipop can only see 10MB. If I plug the external drive to my laptop and fill it with 50 gigs of data, again lollipop see's it, it will even play large video files but no writing.

Anyone know of a way to allow writing to a large harddrive

Thank-you

BC

Based on what you describe, it sounds like this is a limitation of Android 5.0 when it comes to writing.

I will have to try this here myself to confirm it.

Ok, so I got it to work, here's what I did,

-installed 'Mass Storage Watcher OTG' (app icon looks like a black thumb drive) is version 3 I believe.

-formated 300GB drive to NTFS. (linux ext4) did not work. did not try extfat

-in File manager, I clicked usb0, Then 2 folders popped up 'part0', 'part1'. 'part1' IS the 300GB Drive.

it wasn't obvious to me at first, within the storage devices. but was able to find it in the sub folder.

I'm using 'ds cloud app' from my synology server and sync video from it to the 1900. I don't need a dedicated server (another computer) to host Plex and video, as the 1900 now host the external hard drive holding all video and I use 'Mizuu' (similar to Plex) where video descriptions and artwork are fetched.

BC

Ok, so I got it to work, here's what I did,

-installed 'Mass Storage Watcher OTG' (app icon looks like a black thumb drive) is version 3 I believe.

-formated 300GB drive to NTFS. (linux ext4) did not work. did not try extfat

-in File manager, I clicked usb0, Then 2 folders popped up 'part0', 'part1'. 'part1' IS the 300GB Drive.

it wasn't obvious to me at first, within the storage devices. but was able to find it in the sub folder.

I'm using 'ds cloud app' from my synology server and sync video from it to the 1900. I don't need a dedicated server (another computer) to host Plex and video, as the 1900 now host the external hard drive holding all video and I use 'Mizuu' (similar to Plex) where video descriptions and artwork are fetched.

BC

Thanks for sharing this info