Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quantum_Amiga

Openelec on ATV582

Wow, what can I say...

This is what I've been looking for in a Media player box.

OpenElec on my box has turned it from being a moderately reliable/unreliable system where relatively frequent power unplugs were required to get past freezes, to a very nice and reliable system with very fast booting and none of that Android waste of time stuff in the background.

For myself I was after a machine that would run Kodi, be reliable and be an on/off type of device, given I have a 4 TB NAS box supplying my viewing collection.

Previously I was running a PIOS box. For that box with Android it was slow and quite problematic, then PIOS supplied a Linux version which transformed the box to a usable device (although the hardware itself meant the box was still somewhat slow) and I've been hoping such an option would become available for the ATV582.

And here it is :-)

My only beef so far is that the version of Kodi is 15.2 RC2 (TBM - Opps, I meant RC3 and the PIOS now has a new Linux build that includes Kodi 16).

Is it going to be updated soon?

A much happier ATV582 owner :-)

Tony M

Can you integrate Netflix to Openelec Kodi?

I have not seen a working Netflix add on for KODI for a few years now, I remember seeing one for KODI/XBMC Linux a few years back but it stopped working the the Dev did not update it.

So for now I think the answer would be no.

Wow, what can I say...

This is what I've been looking for in a Media player box.

OpenElec on my box has turned it from being a moderately reliable/unreliable system where relatively frequent power unplugs were required to get past freezes, to a very nice and reliable system with very fast booting and none of that Android waste of time stuff in the background.

For myself I was after a machine that would run Kodi, be reliable and be an on/off type of device, given I have a 4 TB NAS box supplying my viewing collection.

Previously I was running a PIOS box. For that box with Android it was slow and quite problematic, then PIOS supplied a Linux version which transformed the box to a usable device (although the hardware itself meant the box was still somewhat slow) and I've been hoping such an option would become available for the ATV582.

And here it is :-)

My only beef so far is that the version of Kodi is 15.2 RC2 (TBM - Opps, I meant RC3 and the PIOS now has a new Linux build that includes Kodi 16).

Is it going to be updated soon?

A much happier ATV582 owner :-)

Tony M

Thanks for the comments.

We plan to update OPENELEC to a newer version, but I think we will wait for Official 16.1 or 16.2, as we do not plan to update Openelec that often since our main focus is still Android.

I will be in China next week, so I will see what our team can come up with in terms of an Openelec update.

Hey thanks for that and I understand waiting till what will hopefully be the final Kodi 16 release before commiting.

Just a suggestion if I may.

Being able to define an alternate data location as a relatively simple user method is something I'm really looking for to be able to use an additional SD Card for storage space expansion. These cards are really cheap these days and are fast with large storage space.

PIOS have a really easy method with their particular version of Kodi on Linux (which they call Tofu).

Basics are you just create a specfically named folder on the SDCard, reboot and the rest is automatically handled including data copy.

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7717594dd5

Cheers

Tony M

Hey thanks for that and I understand waiting till what will hopefully be the final Kodi 16 release before commiting.

Just a suggestion if I may.

Being able to define an alternate data location as a relatively simple user method is something I'm really looking for to be able to use an additional SD Card for storage space expansion. These cards are really cheap these days and are fast with large storage space.

PIOS have a really easy method with their particular version of Kodi on Linux (which they call Tofu).

Basics are you just create a specfically named folder on the SDCard, reboot and the rest is automatically handled including data copy.

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7717594dd5

Cheers

Tony M

I know about TOFU, friend of mine uses it on his M1 box. Says it works well even for a Single Core box.

I am surprised there are still dev's willing to code for M1 and M3 boxes.

Will have to ask about this SD card feature though to see if we can do the same.