Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

biggorilla

Why is MyGica going to Openelec?

Justin / Anyone who might know...

I may have missed this information, and if so, I do apologize.... but why is MyGica dropping Android in favor of Openelec?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses their box for more than just watching movies... Love being able to stream Netflix, look at my Google calendar etc... and can't understand the logic behind the switch.

Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated... Thanks....

They're not. Android (as we know it) is a full feature operating system c/w apps (like the Windoze version of programs). As such, you can keep Android. Some people like the simpler, less memory-hungry o/s like openelec. Openelec usually does one thing and one thing only. In this case it's Kodi. It all depends what you want to install.

I updated to Openelec with Kodi 15.2, There is no PVR Addon for Live TV. I understand Kodi doesn't have it automatic on Openelec, How can I install "IPTV SIMPLE CLIENT " On Mygica 1800E, Where can I find this ADDON?

Thank you

We are not moving to OPENELEC from Android

We are just offering it as a secondary solution. As a lot of people prefer use of just KODi and nothing else.

I hope we can offer more secondary solutions like this to our customers such as Ubuntu Linux, just to give all of you options besides just Android.

I have two boxes: One, the MyGica 582 and the 2nd, an Excalibur Pro. I've been very happy with the 582 because of the support from this site as it works well with the latest firmware and software. The good add-ons such as Stream-all-the-Sources, Exodus, Phoenix, and others load very quickly with little to no buffering. I will continue to use the Android format because I can use other apps as well as updating the latest Kodi. The case is not the same with the Pro. Most programs on Exodus and others loaded slowly with lots of buffering. Poor support from Excalibur led me to the decision to try OpenElec on the box which did speed up Kodi. I don't like OpenElec because there's little to no firmware for this Amlogic box and the remote control did not work. The only thing that did was a mini wireless keyboard. There's no way to update to the latest 16.1 Kodi until OpenElec releases an update. My advice, STAY with Android.