Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Combiner1

Help.. My 582 has turned DOS

My 582 was updating...but it got stuck. After a few unplug and reboot, now it's showing "android system recovery <3e>

Any help would be appreciated

You can try this

Download the 582 Files from the link below

You will need an SD Card to do this

I have been uploading all my zip files of factory restore cards onto our website.

I keep them updated to the latest version available

http://mygica.tv/files

If you have any problem downloading them, or you need different files, let me know.

You can also give out this link to customers who need these same files.

quad core video;

the 585, 582, the reset button is on the bottom.

1900 is on the back of the unit

Same with me... does anyone at MyGica test upgrade paths??... this is really a joke. After upgrading to 20160323, I thought, MyGica is FINALLY getting it together... and then came the 0719 and 0720 OTA updates...

I upgraded 20160323 --> 20160719, an OTA upgrade. It froze, so i unplugged the box after 20mins, then the upgrade completed. Then, surprisingly, there was another OTA upgrade to 20160720. I attempted to upgrade to this load twice. The first time I ended up in recovery and had to go back to 20160323 load. The second time, i get nothing but a blank screen... seems my ATV582 is now an expensive paperweight... is it bricked?? If so, i hope that MyGica will be sending me a new box.

These upgrades have always been a hassle. My recommendation: SAVE YOURSELVES THE TROUBLE AND STAY ON LOAD 20160323... DO NOT TAKE THE OTA UPGRADE OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR BOX.

If you load the files Justin provided on an SD, and reset your box, it should recover. I recently had to do that.

For kicks I updated to July 19 - no problems. Then updated July 20 - long download, but rebooted fine.

Seems to draw the home screen quicker as well.

Does your Android upgrade screen freeze, or does it compete gracefully each time? Every time i upgrade, for some reason, the Android upgrade screen freezes, and i have to pull the plug. Of course, i wait 10 or 15mins before pulling the plug (as pulling the plug mid-upgrade is usually not a good idea)... And I have the firmware download path set to "external SDcard" rather than "cache" in the "upgrade settings" (as this is what i was advised to do when upgrades were failing in the past). How long should it take for an upgrade to complete (not including download time)?

BTW, i have upgraded MANY Android devices, and i have never run into an upgrade like that on the Gica box where it almost always freezes.

No i haven't tried Justin's factory firmware, but shouldn't i be hitting the Android System Recovery Screen in order for that to work? All i'm getting is a blank screen. I'll give it try, but i'm skeptical.

I have in the past had the problem you stated. I recently went through the steps to put on the march firmware as my 582 was toast - and had that problem where nothing happened, I expected to get into recovery but it went straight to the Android update guy - and updated my system to March - so in the end it was a nice clean flash to the latest. I updated this week to the July 19 and then 20th updates - and had no issues whatsoever and worked as an update should.

Like you I'm more than comfortable working with Android devices and flashing ROMs, Kernels and mods - and never had the issue with the myGica BUT I have run into a host of other issues though ;) Each device and corresponding software to run it (particularly kernels) is unique.

Does your Android upgrade screen freeze, or does it compete gracefully each time? Every time i upgrade, for some reason, the Android upgrade screen freezes, and i have to pull the plug. Of course, i wait 10 or 15mins before pulling the plug (as pulling the plug mid-upgrade is usually not a good idea)... And I have the firmware download path set to "external SDcard" rather than "cache" in the "upgrade settings" (as this is what i was advised to do when upgrades were failing in the past). How long should it take for an upgrade to complete (not including download time)?

BTW, i have upgrade MANY Android devices, and i have never run into an upgrade like that on the Gica box where it almost always freezes.

No i haven't tried Justin's factory firmware, but shouldn't i be hitting the Android System Recovery Screen in order for that to work? All i'm getting is a blank screen. I'll give it try, but i'm skeptical.

The recovery files I posted automatically update the box without the need for recovery screen

We use them here in the office to fix boxes with similar issues like yours.

I haven't tried it yet, however, i think there is a file missing from your ATV582-Factory-Files.zip. According to the readme...

2.Copy all files into the boot card root directory.

uboot_MX.cmd

dd.exe

factory_update_param.aml

factory_update_param.ubt

recovery.img

u-boot.bin

update_MyGica_S802_4.4_20150321.img

3.Run uboot_MX.cmd file on PC, it will pop up a window to remind you to continue, just press any button£¬until it automatically exit.

4.Insert the boot card into the box;press and hold the upgrade button, plug in power adapter;

However, when i run "uboot_MX.cmd" it fails (see below)... this is because "dd.exe" is missing from your zip archive. Can you pls update your archive with this file?

H:\>set src=.\u-boot.bin

H:\>set dst=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0

H:\>dd if=/dev/zero of=.\sd_bak bs=1 count=0x60000

'dd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

H:\>dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=.\sd_bak bs=512 count=1

H:\>dd if=.\u-boot.bin of=.\sd_bak bs=1 count=444

H:\>dd if=.\u-boot.bin of=.\sd_bak bs=512 seek=1 skip=1

jpmccarthy, like you, i know my way around Android. I have rooted devices, flashed a custom recovery (i prefer TWRP), and flashed custom ROM's on several mobile devices. However, i have refrained from doing any sort of "hacking" of these Gica boxes; for one, it hasn't been necessary, but for seconds, i'm afraid i'd blow it up. And yet a simple OTA upgrade blows up these boxes. And this isn't the first time this has happened to me (and i own two of these boxes). I'd say, in my 2 years of experience working with these devices, 90% of the time the upgrade "freezes" (and i have to pull the plug) or i end up in Recovery. This tells me that i've either got lemons OR these devices are not properly tested (or a bit of both??). I have to say i am VERY frustrated by this latest "explosion" of my ATV582. It's nice that we have some sort of factory restore recovery procedure, but really, it should never come to that. Maybe if we were paying $30 for these devices, but we pay a LOT more and so they should be properly tested to ensure upgrades work. Like i said, i've NEVER had these upgrade problems with any of my other Android devices (and i have MANY).

I'd really like to explore why my upgrades always seem to freeze... is this normal? Justin? And when the little Android animation freezes, how long are we expected to wait before pulling the plug? (i can't believe i'm asking that question as pulling the plug mid-upgrade is ALWAYS a NO-NO, but seems like par for the course for MyGica upgrades). I can't be the only one experiencing this problem.

Didn't work... after following the procedure, i still get nothing but a blank screen. However, that video is misleading and seems to be for a different scenario. According to the video, after plugging in the device, you immediately get the Android KitKat splash screen and then you go into Recovery. In my case, you were expecting me to go "straight" into the Android upgrade screen. I say "straight" because according to your readme, it is expected that the screen is blank for up to 1-2 minutes. "6.Release the button as soon as the LED start flashing,and wait for 1-2 minutes (screen has no display at this time),please don¡¯t plug out the power; and then normally you will see robot screen,it is updating the firmware." It would have been nice to know this before attempting factory recovery the first time. It's quite possible i didn't wait long enough the first time. However, i still think it's unacceptable to expect us to run this procedure for a failed OTA upgrade. As far as i'm concerned the OTA upgrade is what bricked my box. What next?

Any answers on why upgrades almost always seem to freeze on me? And what is the expected time for an upgrade to complete? It would be nice to know this before the next time i have to pull the plug.

Didn't work... after following the procedure, i still get nothing but a blank screen. However, that video is misleading and seems to be for a different scenario. According to the video, after plugging in the device, you immediately get the Android KitKat splash screen and then you go into Recovery. In my case, you were expecting me to go "straight" into the Android upgrade screen. I say "straight" because according to your readme, it is expected that the screen is blank for up to 1-2 minutes. "6.Release the button as soon as the LED start flashing,and wait for 1-2 minutes (screen has no display at this time),please don¡¯t plug out the power; and then normally you will see robot screen,it is updating the firmware." It would have been nice to know this before attempting factory recovery the first time. It's quite possible i didn't wait long enough the first time. However, i still think it's unacceptable to expect us to run this procedure for a failed OTA upgrade. As far as i'm concerned the OTA upgrade is what bricked my box. What next?

Any answers on why upgrades almost always seem to freeze on me? And what is the expected time for an upgrade to complete? It would be nice to know this before the next time i have to pull the plug.

The factory restore files are the exact same files we use in our office to restore boxes with similar issues like yours.

If you still get no display after 1-2 mins, then try a different TV or HDMI cable. I sometimes run into this issue on one of the TV's in our office.

An OTA update varies on the time it takes to download and install, mainly because everyone's internet connection is different

At the office we currently have a 30MB dedicated connection, it takes about 18 minutes for an update to download and install from start to finish on a 1800 or 582.

No, it didn't work with a different HDMI cable... i think it's toast. When i plug it in I just get a solid blue light now (no blinking) and the same blank screen for much longer than 2 minutes.

What about the freezing upgrades? Have you seen this in your testing? And when it freezes how long are we supposed to wait? You say 18 minutes to upgrade (including download time)... i'm more interested in just install time, but i'm certain i've been waiting at least 18mins from the start of my upgrade install (not counting download time) before pulling the plug (which is a risky thing to do during a firmware upgrade). Really, i'm thinking as soon as it freezes you should be able to pull the plug, as i'm sure the box is no longer processing any upgrade scripts.

I don't know, but i think i'm done with upgrading Gica boxes. I certainly would never take the Android 5.1 firmware, if simple upgrades within 4.4 are not reliable. And all the problems i've been having with upgrades are the main reason i would never recommend a Gica box to anyone. It's really too bad that Gica hasn't figured out upgrades yet.

No, it didn't work with a different HDMI cable... i think it's toast. When i plug it in I just get a solid blue light now (no blinking) and the same blank screen for much longer than 2 minutes.

What about the freezing upgrades? Have you seen this in your testing? And when it freezes how long are we supposed to wait? You say 18 minutes to upgrade (including download time)... i'm more interested in just install time, but i'm certain i've been waiting at least 18mins from the start of my upgrade install (not counting download time) before pulling the plug (which is a risky thing to do during a firmware upgrade). Really, i'm thinking as soon as it freezes you should be able to pull the plug, as i'm sure the box is no longer processing any upgrade scripts.

I don't know, but i think i'm done with upgrading Gica boxes. I certainly would never take the Android 5.1 firmware, if simple upgrades within 4.4 are not reliable. And all the problems i've been having with upgrades are the main reason i would never recommend a Gica box to anyone. It's really too bad that Gica hasn't figured out upgrades yet.

Your box now shows zero display at all?

As for the updates. Install time takes about 5-7 minutes after downloading.

I will continue to upgrade multiple units a day at our office to see what is causing this freezing.

I have on occasion experienced this freezing, but unplugging the unit and plugging it back in, the update continued after doing this and finished installing.

We might have to consider a different method for OTA updates if this continues for some users.