Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

van141

Before upgrading to 4.2.2

I bought my ATV1200 'configured' and I'd like to know how to back up the customized content before upgrading. I copied out apps to SD card but not sure about the various add-ons in xbmc... where those come from? How do I back them up?

The manual says something about Backup/Reset menu in Settings but I see only Reset there. Only backing up place is 'App Backup' addon which I used to backup my apps.

If somebody could clue me in how to backup the box, I'd be no end gratefull, thanks.

I bought my ATV1200 'configured' and I'd like to know how to back up the customized content before upgrading. I copied out apps to SD card but not sure about the various add-ons in xbmc... where those come from? How do I back them up?

The manual says something about Backup/Reset menu in Settings but I see only Reset there. Only backing up place is 'App Backup' addon which I used to backup my apps.

If somebody could clue me in how to backup the box, I'd be no end gratefull, thanks.

You can backup your add ons and user data from XBMC using the program XBMC Backup which is available within the XBMC.ORG repository.

Just go into XBMC - Settings - Add ons - Get More - XBMC.org Add ons - Program Add ons - And you should see XBMC Backup at the bottom, install it.

You will find it under programs, you can back it up to an SD card or USB drive. Then use the program again to restore everything once you upgraded to 4.2.

Please note you will have to redo your GUI settings in XBMC such as add on shortcuts after you restore.

Thank you. I will start on it today. How to restore GUI add on shortcuts was explained in printed quick guide that came with the device - apparently the shortcuts have a way of vanishing of their own whim and updating to 4.2.2 should solve it or at least make it less likely to happen.

Thank you. I will start on it today. How to restore GUI add on shortcuts was explained in printed quick guide that came with the device - apparently the shortcuts have a way of vanishing of their own whim and updating to 4.2.2 should solve it or at least make it less likely to happen.

Ok let me know how it works out for you.

But yes the shortcuts vanishing has been fixed on the 4.2 upgrade, so should stay after you upgrade.

I am upset no end - did install the addon, configured it (browsed to my external sd card), ran the backup (it is there, I checked the sd card in PC), then I did the upgrade to 4.2.2 and went back to xbmc, installed the addon for backing and restore and configured it (browsed to the external sd card) and then in Programs I ran the addon and I got two choices, backup & restore BUT it doesn't see my backed up files.

I tried backing up and cancelled it right away and now I can see that backup for restoration but it was backing up for few seconds only and restoring that would mess things up (I can tell by the date and time that it can see only that aborted backup, not the one I made yesterday. I am already put off by the upgrade because it wrongly detected my tv and the picture was too big for me to see the menu buttons, eventually I did make it to that app where it allows you to take it off auto setting and choose your own res. (1080p was selected, I need 720p to see whole picture).

I tried to go to XBMC Backup Configuration menu to guide it more to the backupped directory (there are two folders inside the folder with the date on it, not sure now what they are called, perhaps data and something else. The linux people logic is hard on me, they (or you) do everything in such a dense ways (also menus are too deep and bushy LOL) and it doesn't help when things don't work as they should and one is wondering if one is doing something wrong (didn't figure something out) or if the program doesn't work.

Seeing as you can't edit posts here... I do have whole bunch of atv1200 boxes and can run the backup again on another box which I didn't upgrade to 4.2.2 yet but as it is I have little faith it would work, likely the backup I made is somehow incompatible, like maybe the format of the backup folder naming was changed in the meantime or something like that but how unlucky could a guy get that the backup program would be new version overnight...

OK I rechecked and tried configuration of the backup addon again and started with external sd card storage as location, which didn't work, then I tried going in to the root of sd card where the dated backup is and this time it sees the backup and it is now restoring. I am not sure but I think I tried to configure the location that way before, also tried going into the dated backup (which didn't work)...

The problem is the backup/restore path setting is miles removed from the addon program itself, only positive thing is that the last menu path is being remembered, so its mostly just a matter of pressing OK bunch of times. But for beginner with atv and xbmc it is a bit too daunting at first. Also, just to figure how to get to the OK button in the configuration is not obvious, I didn't think of mouse cursor, anyway one should get around with just OK and arrows on the remote.