Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangles

Needing some advice...

Hey guys,

I've been doing some reading around and I am really impressed with what the ATV582 device has to offer but before I go and purchase it I need to clarify certain things up that I'm not too sure it can do.

What I am currently using is a boxee box, all that I used it for was to stream movies and tv shows from my Apple Server wirelessly over my network via SMB connection.

Now the question that I have is will I be able to do the same with this device? Most of all of my files are in the .mkv format can it play that?

None of my files will be accessed via local storage it will be all through streaming from my apple server over the network to the device for playback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Looking forward to your responses

Thanks in advance,

Colin

I don't know how apple server works but i have a NAS and stream videos (mp4/mkv) with no problems with wifi (using XBMC) the remote control that comes with the box can be reprogrammed (4 buttons) and can work with your TV ....

Hey guys,

I've been doing some reading around and I am really impressed with what the ATV582 device has to offer but before I go and purchase it I need to clarify certain things up that I'm not too sure it can do.

What I am currently using is a boxee box, all that I used it for was to stream movies and tv shows from my Apple Server wirelessly over my network via SMB connection.

Now the question that I have is will I be able to do the same with this device? Most of all of my files are in the .mkv format can it play that?

None of my files will be accessed via local storage it will be all through streaming from my apple server over the network to the device for playback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Looking forward to your responses

Thanks in advance,

Colin

I use a ATV 1200 and 582 at my house, and use XBMC on both boxes to access my local media network from my PC, and have zero issues playing back MKV, MP4, AVI files etc.

As long as you have a good router, you should have no issues doing what your looking to do.