Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rodsonnow

Poor range on remote

I bought 2 of these boxes and as great as the device is I have a real issue with the remote controls distance.

Both units I bought the range of the remote working is 4-5 feet. This is very unacceptable to me.

Is there a remote that will work better with this box?

The other issue is the remotes both seem to send the wrong signal and I get random results from the key strokes.

Anyone have a solution for this? Is it the remote or is it the box?

second that issue, very difficult to use the remote from any distance > 4 feet.

any help/fix would be apprciated.

cheers

second that issue, very difficult to use the remote from any distance > 4 feet.

any help/fix would be apprciated.

cheers

I am not sure as to why you are experiencing this problem, as I have tested the exact remote control from over 15 ft away and through our office window from outside and worked great.

Have you tried a different set of batteries, possibly brand name ones like Duracel or Energizer?

And it does this for both remotes you are using?

Try different batteries, if that doesnt help, then the IR sensors on your 582 may be defective.

I am not sure as to why you are experiencing this problem

.... and without doing anything, .... all of a sudden it is working from 10' + for me. Not sure why.

thanks for the reply Justin

i just picked up my 582 today (sat 6/9/14) and the remote response, or lack of, is the first thing i noticed. in comparison to my 520e which is over a year old this thing is horrible.. unless you are 4-5 feet from the box, you really need to have a clear shot at the IR pickup. even pointing 2 inches above or below the box gets nothing. i did notice the red LED on the remote leaks a lot of light into the "bulb".. i don't know if that's normal or the cause for the signal loss. if anyone else having remote issues can chime in about the red light leak, that would be appreciated! thanks

soo, a little update... i opened up the remote and blocked off the red LED from leaking into the IR blaster. it seems to have helped a bit but the range is still no where as good as my 520e. i also tried putting a small piece of matte scotch tape over the IR receiver on the box to broaden the light pickup but to no avail.. on the fence now, really like the quad core and octa gpu performance but if i can't reliably control it from my couch, 9 feet away, maybe the 520e is a better choice.

Justin, i was wondering if the engineers at MyGica had the capability to increase the IR sensitivity through firmware? or maybe it's just a flawed design cause the front of the box is angled downwards unlike the 520 which is straight...

jim

Get harmony smart control, problem solved, you don't even have to point at the box or tv.

... and if MyGica deliverers on the promise to do full xbmc/kodi control over IR you will love it even more.

i'm trying to avoid going the logitech route, i personally hate those remotes and it's an additional 100$ to control a box that should work with it's own remote! i keep trying to convince myself to keep the 582 in hope that they will fix this issue but i don't know if that's even possible through firmware... i got till friday to exchange it but what's to say the other one will be any better. also hoping for an eventual Linux XBMC/Kodi only build as i use my AppleTV for Netflix and Hulu, works much better than the clunky Android builds..

jim

i'm trying to avoid going the logitech route, i personally hate those remotes and it's an additional 100$ to control a box that should work with it's own remote! i keep trying to convince myself to keep the 582 in hope that they will fix this issue but i don't know if that's even possible through firmware... i got till friday to exchange it but what's to say the other one will be any better. also hoping for an eventual Linux XBMC/Kodi only build as i use my AppleTV for Netflix and Hulu, works much better than the clunky Android builds..

jim

We have had some problems with a few customers now, having same issues you are having with there remote

We exchanged the remote and unit for a brand new one, and were told this solved there problem

So i would suggest get it exchanged first, if you still have the same problem. Canada Computers offers refunds within 15 days as well.

Just bought a atv582, aet it up on a tv , no problems, moved it to another tv , 3 ft the remote works, went to live chat, no support there, just referred to here. I see with the chats there is no help here either, I bought it over 15 days ago, I have a boxee box two years old no problems. You would think these guys would have an answer????

Wow!! just notice last reply was Feb/11/14 this is the place to be! lots of activity. Will tell everyone not to buy a mygica.

Hi

Sorry but the forum must have dated my post wrong. As the 582 was not even available in February. If you look around the forum, I am very active in helping people.

I see you sent an email to our support@mygica.ca

I will help you with your remote problems by email.