Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kreeturez

MyGica Remote Control Mapping

I'm rather impressed with the ATV 582 so far. Performance is better than anything else I've used (including low-end HTPC's); and because of the lack of cooling on the unit (as opposed to fans on many HTPCs), I've currently swapped out my main viewing environment from an ION2-based HTPC (running the always-awesome OpenELEC) to this ATV 582.

Like many, I'm not a fan of the remote, though. While I find the range to be OK and the ergonomics good (and the buttons to have a nice 'click' response), I seriously miss the dedicated Play/Pause and Stop buttons. Actually for a media player, this is an odd omission. I also found myself missing Page-Up/Page-Down functionality for Kodi/XBMC.

To compensate, I've tweaked XBMC's mapping to allow me to use the Context Menu and Back buttons (below the D-Pad) for Pause/Play and Stop respectively.

I've also set up T9-searching (as per this Wiki article: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_T9-text_entry_for_remotes) to allow me to use the the numbers on the remote to seek letters in a list. So to get to 'Underworld' in a list of movies, I can now hit the '8' number twice (T, U) to get to all movies beginning with "U". I don't miss Page-Up/Page-Down with this in place.

To try it out, paste the following into a new "keyboard.xml" file in your XBMC Profile's "keymaps" directory. Then, switch on XMBC's 'Remote control sends keyboard presses.' setting under 'Input Settings.'

I used XBMC's built-in file manager to copy/paste this into the ATV's "Profile" --> "Keymaps" sub-folder; but any method - such as those detailed here - http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_keyboard.xml - will do.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Number0
JumpSMS1
JumpSMS2
JumpSMS3
JumpSMS4
JumpSMS5
JumpSMS6
JumpSMS7
JumpSMS8
JumpSMS9
Back

Number0
Number1
Number2
Number3
Number4
Number5
Number6
Number7
Number8
Number9
Backspace

Number0
Number1
Number2
Number3
Number4
Number5
Number6
Number7
Number8
Number9
Stop
Stop

Number0
Number1
Number2
Number3
Number4
Number5
Number6
Number7
Number8
Number9

Number0
Number1
Number2
Number3
Number4
Number5
Number6
Number7
Number8
Number9

number0
number1
number2
number3
number4
number5
number6
number7
number8
number9

With this in place, I now have Pause/Play, Stop, and fast list-searching - so the remote now passes WAF in my household and I no longer need to use the RF USB Mini-Keyboard I'd been using previously.

Thanks for sharing this

I'm sure Justin that you expected me to ask this question as I always do when this subject comes up :)

Any progress on implementing full IR keyboard commands so Harmony users can get full XBMC experience without juggling remotes?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this

I'm sure Justin that you expected me to ask this question as I always do when this subject comes up :)

Any progress on implementing full IR keyboard commands so Harmony users can get full XBMC experience without juggling remotes?

Thanks

Nothing yet. Been told it is very hard to do.

Great information, thanks for sharing this! I also got fed up with the remote, and ended up buying this

http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Multifunctio ... pd_cp_pc_0

Although I bought it off of ebay a little cheaper. Honestly I have been holding off on buying another remote for ages, but was so happy with this I bought another *two* for friends as xmas presents. It isn't the perfect remote, but is close, certainly the closest I've found. I know it's another $20, which sucks, but I have kicked myself for not buying it sooner. Mind you I don't have a ton of remotes around here anyways. Just my two cents...

Thanks for sharing this

Thanks

Nothing yet. Been told it is very hard to do.

Starting to doubt they do any work on it, Minix added windows MCE remote to x8 months ago.

That was just for USB IR Receiver. To add this internally is whats hard to do.

I can ask to add the USB IR receiver if you want, should be easier.