Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

austenpowers

Automatic OTA firmware upgrade fails on new unit

Now on my third MyGica unit, I went through the setup wizard and everything setup fine this time. However, shortly after setup was completed, the system prompted me for an automatic OTA upgrade. The unit was running V001M801 out of the box, and i believe it was attempting to upgrade to V001M9xx (sorry, don't remember the exact version). Shortly after the upgrade started, it stopped and prompted me to format my SD card (as there was not enough space). I thought this was odd, as i did not insert an SD card into the unit. I had 2 options: format or manually clear. I chose "format", as i didn't have an SD card anyway, so figured there would be nothing to worry about.

Then the unit proceeded to upgrade, but within a minute or two it stopped and brought me to an "Android System Recovery <3e>".

Underneath this title is listed f/w V001M801_20140718.

Under this are several options, however, i can't seem to navigate any of the options using the remote. (It's prompting me to use the volume up/down and enter buttons to navigate, but no dice). I don't think i need to list the options, assuming you know them.

In the diagnostics at the bottom, of course, it's complaining about "Bad bootloader arguments", as it's failing to mount E: /sdcard (of course, as there is no SD card).

And BTW, i just happened to check the upgrade options prior to doing the upgrade, and the download location was set to "cache" as opposed to "SD card". So why did the system, with an automatic upgrade, attempt to go to a non-existent SD card, rather than using the cache (which i believe is 8GB on this unit)??

Anyway, can you please tell me how i'm supposed to navigate this system recovery menu? And which option i should select? How do i recover from this failed upgrade?

Tks!

Now on my third MyGica unit, I went through the setup wizard and everything setup fine this time. However, shortly after setup was completed, the system prompted me for an automatic OTA upgrade. The unit was running V001M801 out of the box, and i believe it was attempting to upgrade to V001M9xx (sorry, don't remember the exact version). Shortly after the upgrade started, it stopped and prompted me to format my SD card (as there was not enough space). I thought this was odd, as i did not insert an SD card into the unit. I had 2 options: format or manually clear. I chose "format", as i didn't have an SD card anyway, so figured there would be nothing to worry about.

Then the unit proceeded to upgrade, but within a minute or two it stopped and brought me to an "Android System Recovery <3e>".

Underneath this title is listed f/w V001M801_20140718.

Under this are several options, however, i can't seem to navigate any of the options using the remote. (It's prompting me to use the volume up/down and enter buttons to navigate, but no dice). I don't think i need to list the options, assuming you know them.

In the diagnostics at the bottom, of course, it's complaining about "Bad bootloader arguments", as it's failing to mount E: /sdcard (of course, as there is no SD card).

And BTW, i just happened to check the upgrade options prior to doing the upgrade, and the download location was set to "cache" as opposed to "SD card". So why did the system, with an automatic upgrade, attempt to go to a non-existent SD card, rather than using the cache (which i believe is 8GB on this unit)??

Anyway, can you please tell me how i'm supposed to navigate this system recovery menu? And which option i should select? How do i recover from this failed upgrade?

Tks!

You will have to use a USB keyboard to navigate the Recovery Screen.

And using a SD card, you will have to install this update to the box, through the Recovery Screen.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=2154

This will fix the problem that you are having by reinstalling the entire Android OS, and also put you at the latest update.

I tried using a Wireless USB keyboard and it did not work. I will try again using a standard USB keyboard.

For future reference, are these boxes expected to have an SD card? I would have expected an OTA upgrade to work without an SD card (especially if the system is set to "cache"). It sounds like these OTA upgrades are not very reliable. Should i always manually upgrade via an SD card in the future and avoid OTA upgrades?

I tried using a Wireless USB keyboard and it did not work. I will try again using a standard USB keyboard.

For future reference, are these boxes expected to have an SD card? I would have expected an OTA upgrade to work without an SD card (especially if the system is set to "cache"). It sounds like these OTA upgrades are not very reliable. Should i always manually upgrade via an SD card in the future and avoid OTA upgrades?

Some updates are to big and require an SD card for OTA.

This is a problem with AMlogics way they do OTA updates, not much we can do about it.

Minix just introduced new way of OTA updates (also AMlogic)

Perhaps you can look in to it Justin.

Yes we can do small file updates using OTA as well.

I have read they offer OTA update using SD card for there bigger updates.

I read through there site often, unless there is something I am missing?

But isn't there 8GB of cache memory in the 582? And it was a new unit, so it's not like the memory would have been filled up. When the upgrade is set to use cache, are we talking about the "8GB Flash NAND memory", or is that something else? If so 8GB should be more than enough space, as i believe the firmware files are less that half a GB (~ 350MB).

But isn't there 8GB of cache memory in the 582? And it was a new unit, so it's not like the memory would have been filled up. When the upgrade is set to use cache, are we talking about the "8GB Flash NAND memory", or is that something else? If so 8GB should be more than enough space, as i believe the firmware files are less that half a GB (~ 350MB).

8GB is the Internal Flash memory.

1GB is the RAM, which at times would only have about 300-400mb of free space.

As I mentioned earlier, the updates use the RAM.

We are looking to offer a more easier and sufficient way for OTA updates soon, that will not give users issues with memory.

After looking through a lot of my emails. I read will be changing our OTA update procedure in the future as well.

Which will also include update changes.

Hmmm... seems strange that your updates would use RAM rather than the internal Flash memory. I've never heard of using RAM for updates before? Anyhow, i will try and recover and let you know how it goes.

Hmmm... seems strange that your updates would use RAM rather than the internal Flash memory. I've never heard of using RAM for updates before? Anyhow, i will try and recover and let you know how it goes.

It is due to the fact that updates are done over cache memory.

Just like streaming through XBMC is cached, which can only be done through the RAM and not the internal memory.

Let us know how it goes.

Yes we can do small file updates using OTA as well.

I have read they offer OTA update using SD card for there bigger updates.

I read through there site often, unless there is something I am missing?

Not any more the latest upgrade introduced FOTA.

Just google minix FOTA

Ok, good news. So i was able to get the USB keyboard working (i just rebooted the box and then it recognized my wireless keyboard). I popped in a 16GB microSD card and the selected "apply update from EXT". Then i recovered the box by installing V001M801_20140723. Then did an OTA upgrade to V001M801_20140801. And finally an OTA upgrade to V001M801_20140925 (which BTW, was the OTA upgrade that failed on me last night, but this time i had an SD card inserted). My next step will be to apply a manual upgrade to _20141105 (which i believe is the latest f/w), and i wil also apply a couple patches that are available for this f/w. But not tonight, i don't want to blow it up again (XX) before i go to bed.

Lesson learned: always have an SD card inserted in this box before upgrading (although, by rights, you shouldn't have to do this).

Justin,

I just noticed the release note for f/w version _20141105 states:

"**PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST HAVE THE PREVIOUS FIRMWARE INSTALLED BEFORE YOU CAN UPGRADE TO THIS NEW FILE**"

Can you pls confirm that _20140925 is the "Previous f/w" version and that i can do the manual upgrade directly to this latest f/w?

Tks!

Justin,

I just noticed the release note for f/w version _20141105 states:

"**PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST HAVE THE PREVIOUS FIRMWARE INSTALLED BEFORE YOU CAN UPGRADE TO THIS NEW FILE**"

Can you pls confirm that _20140925 is the "Previous f/w" version and that i can do the manual upgrade directly to this latest f/w?

Tks!

You can take the 11-05 update as long as you have one of the following firmwares

07-24

08-01

09-06

09-25

I am in the process of updating my atv 585 y have the logo but it stop at 3/4 of the upgrade it's been 30 minutes and it's not completing the upgrade I don't wanna stop it or unplug it what should I do now?

I am in the process of updating my atv 585 y have the logo but it stop at 3/4 of the upgrade it's been 30 minutes and it's not completing the upgrade I don't wanna stop it or unplug it what should I do now?

You can unplug it and plug it back it, it will finish the update.