Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jscheeren

582 quickly becomes unstable

I have a 582 and a 520.

The 520 seems to play all of my video files running Kodi 14.1 (from latest Feb MyGica firmware upgrade) very well.

My 582 running the Dec firmware upgrade from MyGica seems to have a lot of stability problems, maybe or maybe not related to Kodi 14.1 downloaded from Kodi site. Playing videos very quickly degrades to point where files play no sound and video freezes or is slow motion and jerky, no matter what video or audio codec or how many audio channels. Exiting Kodi leaves 582 unusable, requiring a reboot. The 582 was running OK with respect to playing videos using the 14.0 Kodi downloaded from the Kodi site until recently.

Any ideas if I have done something in my settings to create this problem, or could it be because of downloading Kodi 14.1 from Kodi (not MyGica XBMC), or is it a Kit Kat firmware problem.

Really appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Yeah this mini patch provides stability and handles the memory utilization better on the box. I nearly thew mine out of the window and couldn't believe the improvement after loading it.

Tried to install that patch, the "update" app (which is just a shortcut to android update) doesn't find anything, rebooting to bootloader and installing the zip that way yields an incorrect header error message or something like that....it was late the other night when I did it so I can't remember the verbage precisely but I agree with the OP. I've had this thing for a few days and I've been really tempted to toss it out the window a few times, if I wasn't technically inclined it would have gone back immediately.

I'm not the OP, but @Justin is.

@Justin, I had the same error where I had to sign the low memory killer patch to get past the signature issues that AV3ngeme has described above. Can you fix it for other end users, or at least include it in the next firmware????

The patch was successful, yeah. Also, something to note is to not apply the patch (or any update for that matter) from USB...it WILL fail. I'm unsure if it's anymore stable, though it does appear to be a bit more responsive.

I'll find out in a day when the kids are back from their grandparents, one big issue was that it wouldn't even get through a 30 min netflix episode without crashing netflix and booting the unit back to the home screen.

Now if I could just get proper netflix integration through xmbc I could completely ditch the WDTV box. It's ok in android but a little too involved for the wife, lol.

So many how-to's out there but I haven't found any of the add-ons in the repo's that they're supposed to be in lol. Is upgrading to Kodi worth it? As far as stability goes? I've been thinking about it but haven't pulled the trigger yet as I've just got Gotham setup the way I want it

I have figured out the problem. I installed the newest firmware update that Justin posted yesterday and the Kodi problem went away. Well, it actually just gave me a clue, because when the update installs, it obviously puts all defaults into place again. When I investigated and tested each of the differences between my settings in the version that didn't work and the defaults, one at a time, I was able to isolate the problem. My setting that screwed it all up was changing the audio output to 5.1 and also setting the enable pass-through on. With the MyGica, changing the audio output to ANYTHING other than 2.0 causes any video that is multi-channel to completely destabilize the MyGica and requiring a reboot, at least on my system. Selecting enable pass-through on its own works fine and delivers the desired capability. I tested this solution with both the Kodi 14.0 MyGica version and the downloaded Kodi 14.1 from the Kodi site.

I have figured out the problem. I installed the newest firmware update that Justin posted yesterday and the Kodi problem went away. Well, it actually just gave me a clue, because when the update installs, it obviously puts all defaults into place again. When I investigated and tested each of the differences between my settings in the version that didn't work and the defaults, one at a time, I was able to isolate the problem. My setting that screwed it all up was changing the audio output to 5.1 and also setting the enable pass-through on. With the MyGica, changing the audio output to ANYTHING other than 2.0 causes any video that is multi-channel to completely destabilize the MyGica and requiring a reboot, at least on my system. Selecting enable pass-through on its own works fine and delivers the desired capability. I tested this solution with both the Kodi 14.0 MyGica version and the downloaded Kodi 14.1 from the Kodi site.

Ok good to hear it works better for you now.