Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WolfmanJack

5.1 audio through SPDIF

I have a couple of Asus O'Play streamers and a couple of WD Live streamers that are 10 years old plus and all of them work flawlessly with any audio format and output it in DTS or Dolby digital 5.1 through the passthrough, yet here is a box that is 10 years newer and all I get is 2.0 sd out of it and no actual dolby or dts . WTF, I bought this box because of the technological advances over 10 yr. old technologies, what a laugh, no HD Netflix that even my 10 yr old WD Live Plus does just fine, no 5.1 audio, shit man, this thing is going on ebay soon if these issues are not resolved.

Worst POS box ever

have you done the updates? dts and Dolby Digital work fine for me. When i load up a file thats encoded with either my amp shows the logo on the screen and 5.1 comes through

IMG_20151118_125819_zpsiph1n8zv.jpg~original

Good to know Ravendagrey, what version of the firmware are you running? I haven't had any luck with the online upgrade, but I have found the version

"MyGica-ATV1900AC_20150924", so I plan to manually install that, just wondering if that's the version you are running, I really would love to get the Dolby and Dts working cause otherwise I do love this box and I really want to keep it.

Thanks again Ravendagrey and Justin, I managed to download all updates and am now current with the Nov 11 firmware, I am able to play Dts and Dolby Digital now on video files from my server, but the file formats are limited compared to the Asus or WD streamers. I am not able to get the Dolby Digital to work on Kodi, Dts 5.1 wav files lock up requiring a physical unpluging of the power, and Netflix doesn't even have the Dolby Digital audio option whereas it does on the WD Live and Live plus. So some work to do still, but I am certainly more optimistic that this box will evolve to the level of those other streamer boxes, but with lightning speed and the added funtionality of Kodi. I'm hoping that VLC or a similar player will enable me to play my SACD and DVD Audio files in 5.1.

Thanks again Ravendagrey and Justin, I managed to download all updates and am now current with the Nov 11 firmware, I am able to play Dts and Dolby Digital now on video files from my server, but the file formats are limited compared to the Asus or WD streamers. I am not able to get the Dolby Digital to work on Kodi, Dts 5.1 wav files lock up requiring a physical unpluging of the power, and Netflix doesn't even have the Dolby Digital audio option whereas it does on the WD Live and Live plus. So some work to do still, but I am certainly more optimistic that this box will evolve to the level of those other streamer boxes, but with lightning speed and the added funtionality of Kodi. I'm hoping that VLC or a similar player will enable me to play my SACD and DVD Audio files in 5.1.

For KODI have you tried changing the audio settings from 2.0 to 5.1?

As for Netflix, I have wrote about issues with this before. The main issue with Netflix not having HD or even an Interface that is not made for Tablets/Cell Phones is this.

1. HD requires you to have Widevine Digital Rights License. Which we have and is something I am trying to see if we can add this for MyGica since Geniatech our manufacturer does have a Widevine License.

2. You need to be a Netflix certified device to get use of there Android TV interface which offers DD 5.1 and also a much easier interface to use with a remote control. I have been contacting Netflix every week to do this, but no response yet. This costs Big $$ to, which we are willing to spend.

I will keep trying, and will also try to talk with someone at CES show this year as well to try and make this happen.

You see other devices that have Netflix HD + a easier to use interface, but these are mostly North American or European based companies that just manufacturer in China. So Netflix is more open to work with them and certify them.

Our issue is we are based in Canada, but the company is mainly based in China, and I think they are more reluctant to work with a Chinese company.

Which to me still doesn't make sense since you would think they would be more open to this if a company is approaching you and willing to pay the license fees.

As for Netflix, I have wrote about issues with this before. The main issue with Netflix not having HD or even an Interface that is not made for Tablets/Cell Phones is this.

1. HD requires you to have Widevine Digital Rights License. Which we have and is something I am trying to see if we can add this for MyGica since Geniatech our manufacturer does have a Widevine License.

2. You need to be a Netflix certified device to get use of there Android TV interface which offers DD 5.1 and also a much easier interface to use with a remote control. I have been contacting Netflix every week to do this, but no response yet. This costs Big $$ to, which we are willing to spend.

I will keep trying, and will also try to talk with someone at CES show this year as well to try and make this happen.

You see other devices that have Netflix HD + a easier to use interface, but these are mostly North American or European based companies that just manufacturer in China. So Netflix is more open to work with them and certify them.

Our issue is we are based in Canada, but the company is mainly based in China, and I think they are more reluctant to work with a Chinese company.

Which to me still doesn't make sense since you would think they would be more open to this if a company is approaching you and willing to pay the license fees.

Thanks Justin, yes I have tried changing the Kodi audio settings to 5.1 and enabling passthrough and spdif etc, no luck with 5.1 yet on the MyGica, but I'm sure that I'll figure it out eventually, works fine with all video and SACD and DVDAudio files I have with my Asus Oplay and WD Live and Live Plus players.

I would love to be able to install from the Google Play store and try out some different players such as VLC and Media Player Classic, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet either, maybe I'm just too thick for this technology. Wish I could find the apk's for these players so that I could load them directly. Actually I did find an apk for VLC, but its not working because it just gives me a "we've encountered a problem with this media"

Looking forward to HD Netflix and 5.1 audio as well as a player that will play all my 5.1 wav files and DVDAudio iso's.

Any luck with the 5.1 audio and Optical?

All I get is garbled sound :(

I haven't had any luck with SACD or DVDAudio on this box, I use my WD TV live or live plus or Asus O'play for audio and for HD netflix with 5.1 dolby audio, this box is just for playing around with, definitely fun and fast but pretty limited for my needs as of now, its my fault for not doing the research before I purchased this box, but who knew that streamers that are years older would play formats that this box doesn't.

Certainly woke me up though, I now have 3 WD streamers and 3 O'plays, never gonna be without a means of playing HD Audio and Video. I'm sure these android boxes will eventually catch up, just gotta be patient, Justin is on it.

Thanks Justin, yes I have tried changing the Kodi audio settings to 5.1 and enabling passthrough and spdif etc, no luck with 5.1 yet on the MyGica, but I'm sure that I'll figure it out eventually, works fine with all video and SACD and DVDAudio files I have with my Asus Oplay and WD Live and Live Plus players.

I would love to be able to install from the Google Play store and try out some different players such as VLC and Media Player Classic, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet either, maybe I'm just too thick for this technology. Wish I could find the apk's for these players so that I could load them directly. Actually I did find an apk for VLC, but its not working because it just gives me a "we've encountered a problem with this media"

Looking forward to HD Netflix and 5.1 audio as well as a player that will play all my 5.1 wav files and DVDAudio iso's.

To use the PlayStore just requires you to login with a GMAIL account.

What is the issue you are having when you try to login to it?

Hi Justin.

Any further updates here? My new 1900ac will not pass thru 5.1 signal via hdmi to my receiver when using kodi.

I've tried everything discussed in this thread (and elsewhere) and it's not working.

Complicating my frustration. I've also have an 1800e. I had been experiencing similar problems at first with that but eventually got the android settings and the kodi settings setup correctly.

In one of my many builds of kodi I did a full kodi backup of my 1800e and setup kodi on my 1900ac with that backup that also didn't make it work.

Any ideas or updates here is appreciated

Where is the option to enable SPDIF? Is it within Kodi or Android? I've been through all settings and the closest I can find is in the Kodi settings screen where some audio functions are present. Audio output settings has a greyed out option of "android audiotrack" that I can't change. That looks to be a logical place to enable SPDIF.

Running latest firmware including OTA update and Kodi 15.2.

Justin, do you have any further comments on these threads? Namely mine from December 7th? Appreciate to know if there is a fix coming, or if I'm going to have to return this device due to it not delivering the capabilities as promised?

@Jordan

I know about Dolby Digital through HDMI and have reproduced this

Working to get this fixed for next firmware update

As for Netflix, nothing to update right now.

Where is the option to enable SPDIF? Is it within Kodi or Android? I've been through all settings and the closest I can find is in the Kodi settings screen where some audio functions are present. Audio output settings has a greyed out option of "android audiotrack" that I can't change. That looks to be a logical place to enable SPDIF.

They are in the Android sound settings

You change the audio output from HDMI to SPDIF.

If you still cannot find them, I will make a short video for it.

Hmm, I swear that I've been through every Android setting there is and cannot find it. I will try again tonight. Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, I swear that I've been through every Android setting there is and cannot find it. I will try again tonight. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, there are the normal android settings, and then there is a second area...

Go to your full list of "Apps" and select and app in that list called "settings" note: not the same sub-menu as normal settings.

@ Justin, thanks... standing by for next update. Any idea when?

Yeah, there are the normal android settings, and then there is a second area...

Go to your full list of "Apps" and select and app in that list called "settings" note: not the same sub-menu as normal settings.

@ Justin, thanks... standing by for next update. Any idea when?

Since there are still a few pending issues, after call I had last night I was told they are pushing for before Dec 23rd for a new firmware update.

But I am not making promises on this though, but I will continue to stay on top of them

Found it. Thanks for that.

i would like to know that as well, before the update i could manage that, now...not anymore, damn thing

ditto....can not find this setting