Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zudeck

How to connect external HDD or USB ?

Hi,

Just picked up my 1800E a day ago, still fiddling around with it. Apologize ahead of time, if it is a really noob question, probably is.

So I connected my Samsung portable 500GB hard drive and.......I don't know how to access it to watch my videos and music etc. I have been using my HD on my iMac and on my Roku3, and it works flawlessly. But I can't get it to work with this device, well don't really know where to even go to access the files. Tried different ports, no luck.

Contacted the seller, he told me to go to File Manager and I still don't see it. Am I crazy, or am I just stupid?

Please Help !!!!!

Hi,

Just picked up my 1800E a day ago, still fiddling around with it. Apologize ahead of time, if it is a really noob question, probably is.

So I connected my Samsung portable 500GB hard drive and.......I don't know how to access it to watch my videos and music etc. I have been using my HD on my iMac and on my Roku3, and it works flawlessly. But I can't get it to work with this device, well don't really know where to even go to access the files. Tried different ports, no luck.

Contacted the seller, he told me to go to File Manager and I still don't see it. Am I crazy, or am I just stupid?

Please Help !!!!!

Your reseller was right about File Manager, he just left out steps to access your USB Drive.

When in file manager, at the top you will see an arrow for "UP" Select "UP" 2 times, you will now see SDA1 or SDA2 etc, this is where you will find your USB Hard Drive.

Another way, is to use the app. "File Browser", when opened, it will give you the option of "USB", then will open up your hard drive files.

Or you can always use the built in 4K Video Player to find your Videos through USB as well, works similar to File Browser.

Are you trying to access your media through the andriod screen or XBMC? If xbmc, when I get back home I'll attach an HDD and see how to, then update.

J

I prefer powered external USB hard drives, seen it with a few Android boxes that depending on the manufacturer the drives that powered drives are less troublesome and just work better :-)

Just checked and Justin's right. In the Andriod home page, under File Manager, I had to press the green UP arrow twice to see my HDD.

In xbmc I had to Add Source under System/File Manager to be able to see it.

So, I had a friend over today and he had to have a similar style HDD on him, so we connected it and it worked.....fine. Problem I was having was that my HDD was formatted to Mac Os Journaled, which meant really quick read and write speeds whilst connected to a Mac. I just re-formatted my HDD and transferring some movies, they sure transfer A LOT slower now. I should be able to test it in 10 minutes.....fingers crossed.

And yes Dhanjec, some people were saying that they prefer powered USB drives, I have a few of those as well but all for my photography. This one is strictly media/entertainment.

And the problem has been resolved. The HDD was formatted to Mac OS Journaled and that WILL NOT work. Hopefully this bit of info will help other users in the future.

Ok good to hear you were able to get it working now

Glad I could help you with this.

Accessing it from XBMC changed as well thanks to Android 4.4, at least you were able to figure that out yourself.