Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WarlordBonn

Issues with factory reset

I've only had my ATV1200 for three days, but i'm loosing my warm and fuzzy feelings for this device already.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the issues I'm experiencing are going to be due to the way I'm trying to use the device. I still have an old CRT TV that I'm trying to use this with. I hoped to get a model with component out but that's not what I got. So I'm giving the old composite out a try.

Everything initially seemed OK, it recognized i was using composite and was displaying at 480 as I expected (Running Android 4.2.2). Using the DNLA media players is fine, video's played properly with top/bottom black bars just like my XBox 360 which i'm trying to replace with the MyGica. Part of the home screen is not displaying, seems bigger then my TV.

XBMC is where I've been having my issues with this device. My video is not playing in letter box, but gets compressed to the screen. In XBMC settings, I can't change the video resolution at all. 1280x720 is my only option. I don't know if that's by design or not. Another thing with XBMC is that the tvaddons addins are preinstalled. Is this the way the devices are shipped out? Forums seem to mention only supporting official XBMC addins, so wasn't expecting to find this.

Looking through the forums, I found a post on how to adjust the screen size. I thought i'd try this to see if if I could get the main display to fit my TV better. When I go to Settings > Display my only options are adjust font and connect a wireless display. I don't have the Display position option. Is this only available for HDMI connections?

Anyhow, i thought I'd try a soft reset of the device to see if that resolved any of my issues. The device rebooted, saw the green android and then the word android displayed on the screen. Waited the two minutes the video I watched mentioned, and then two more, and then 56 more, it just stayed at the 'android' screen. Ok, decided that after 60 minutes, it's probably not loading up for me. Decided then to do a hard reset, but now when I hold the reset button and plug the power back in I get nothing on the display at all. Is this bricked, or is it because the device is meant to be used with an HDMI connection?

Really didn't want to have to buy at new TV at this time. Any suggestions on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Anyhow, i thought I'd try a soft reset of the device to see if that resolved any of my issues. The device rebooted, saw the green android and then the word android displayed on the screen

When you say soft reset, do you mean going into the settings screen of android (gear on the right) and going down to the left until you see "reset"? And do you have a green light on in the front? You should have had x of 16 Addons being installed. If you have a green light my opinion is that it's more of a video issue, I'm thinking that the rca has to be enabled after a reset from memory. There are members here who know a lot more about that than me.

PS your box was added to aftermarket. You won't get Addons installed from forums in a new box. No biggie though, most people that's what they do first anyway.

Looking through the forums, I found a post on how to adjust the screen size. I thought i'd try this to see if if I could get the main display to fit my TV better.

When you get your box going again, one of the setup options when you first start is screen sizing.

In XBMC settings, I can't change the video resolution at all.

System/Settings/System should be the place.

Another thing that I've told people to do is to run the identical setup on a laptop or computer. Go to Kodi and download the same XBMC version as you have onto a PC and play. You ferk it up?, uninstall and play again.

J

When you say soft reset, do you mean going into the settings screen of android (gear on the right) and going down to the left until you see "reset"? And do you have a green light on in the front?

I went to Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset. There's a video on the learning page that goes through the same process I did. The device restarted and I had a solid green light and a red/amber light that seemed to be indicating activity on the device. It looked like it was restoring properly, saw the robot logo and then the word "android" on the screen and that's where it froze. I left it for 60 minutes at that screen and figured it wasn't going to complete the restore.

Then i tried the hard reset (press reset button then plug in the power adapter). The device gets power, but no video on RCA. I'll try it on HDMI this weekend and see what I get.

System/Settings/System should be the place.

Another thing that I've told people to do is to run the identical setup on a laptop or computer. Go to Kodi and download the same XBMC version as you have onto a PC and play. You ferk it up?, uninstall and play again.

System > Settings > System is where I tried changing the video resolution, but the only option is 780p. I hoped that factory reset might open the options up more. I have an HP Slate 7 that I never seem to get around to selling set up with KODI now, so that's my test environment.

Hard reset menu displays in 720p. So that might be the reason why you cannot get to it using RCA.

And to get to the display settings menu, you must select the app 'Settings MBOX" You will see all the display settings in here.

Let us know how it goes.

If the light is green on your box, then your box is not bricked.

Thanks all, was able to get hooked up to an HD TV and complete the factory reset. It's much better now.

Play with the settings in MBOX i've to it displaying pretty good on my old TV, I'm missing a bit on the right side of the screen, but all in all it's much better.

Trying to adjust the display with the initial setup wizard doesn't work for me on the RCA connection. Any adjustment I try to make just zooms in to the top left corner of the picture and I can't do much from there. It worked like a charm on TV i used to do the reset.

Much happier with the ATV1200 now. Resetting XBMC has helped too I think. Had to play around with the display settings in there too, but now my videos show as letter box instead of compressed full screen, so again much better.