Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFBear

ATV520 setup clarifications and possible upgrades

My ATV520 came with Android 4.1.2 and XBMC v12.2 Frodo installed and the KR32 remote and I have it connected via Ethernet. I am just setting it up and have some clarifications/questions.

1. I changed the Android video settings to 1080P but can’t change the XBMC settings. I understand this is a limitation with Frodo, correct?

2. From the best I can tell, any software (Android and XBMC) discussions, including upgrades, on the ATV520E also apply to the ATV520 even if it isn’t mentioned specifically, correct?

To be able to run 1080P I guess I should:

3a. First upgrade the Android build firmware to 4.2.2 using the Jun 16, 2014 release

“ANDROID 4.2.2 UPGRADE FILES FOR ATV 400 and 520E” file MyGica_4.2_atv400_20140616_KR34.zip even though it is titled for a 400 box and a KR34 remote (I have a KR32). I can’t tell from any notes which XBMC is included in this.

3b. Have I read all the discussions right and is the above the right upgrade for my configuration or can I go straight to the 12 Feb 2015 release “Android 4.2 Upgrade File with KODI 14.1 for ATV 1200/400/520E KR34” file update_MyGica_4.2_20150209_KR34.zip file even though it is titled for a KR34 remote? What is confusing is the comment with the release of “You can load this manually using an SD card and the Upgrade App” instead of a hard reboot with a reset pin. Also the comment “**PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST HAVE THE PREVIOUS FIRMWARE INSTALLED BEFORE YOU CAN UPGRADE TO THIS NEW FILE** seems that you might already need 4.2 installed. Either way, I’ll wait for the video before I do it – don’t want any bricks here.

Finally, I'll upgrade the XBMC software (via the Update app) depending on how the response to the above goes. May have some more questions later.

Justin, Thanks for any help you can give. The discussions are quite good on this forum!!

My ATV520 came with Android 4.1.2 and XBMC v12.2 Frodo installed and the KR32 remote and I have it connected via Ethernet. I am just setting it up and have some clarifications/questions.

1. I changed the Android video settings to 1080P but can’t change the XBMC settings. I understand this is a limitation with Frodo, correct?

2. From the best I can tell, any software (Android and XBMC) discussions, including upgrades, on the ATV520E also apply to the ATV520 even if it isn’t mentioned specifically, correct?

To be able to run 1080P I guess I should:

3a. First upgrade the Android build firmware to 4.2.2 using the Jun 16, 2014 release

“ANDROID 4.2.2 UPGRADE FILES FOR ATV 400 and 520E” file MyGica_4.2_atv400_20140616_KR34.zip even though it is titled for a 400 box and a KR34 remote (I have a KR32). I can’t tell from any notes which XBMC is included in this.

3b. Have I read all the discussions right and is the above the right upgrade for my configuration or can I go straight to the 12 Feb 2015 release “Android 4.2 Upgrade File with KODI 14.1 for ATV 1200/400/520E KR34” file update_MyGica_4.2_20150209_KR34.zip file even though it is titled for a KR34 remote? What is confusing is the comment with the release of “You can load this manually using an SD card and the Upgrade App” instead of a hard reboot with a reset pin. Also the comment “**PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST HAVE THE PREVIOUS FIRMWARE INSTALLED BEFORE YOU CAN UPGRADE TO THIS NEW FILE** seems that you might already need 4.2 installed. Either way, I’ll wait for the video before I do it – don’t want any bricks here.

Finally, I'll upgrade the XBMC software (via the Update app) depending on how the response to the above goes. May have some more questions later.

Justin, Thanks for any help you can give. The discussions are quite good on this forum!!

1. You cannot change this in XBMC because the Dual Cores are built on a 720P kernel, and that is what XBMC is recognizing

2. Yes software upgrades for the 520E also apply to the 520, since they are the same unit, just the 520 has its wifi antenna internally. Please note all firmware we release is on Android 4.2, so make sure you are on this OS as a lot of the 520E and 520s come with Android 4.1

3a. Yes this file will upgrade you to 4.2. The same firmware works for the 400.520E and 1200. The KR32 and KR34 are the same remote, just the KR32 does not have the mouse function. This 4.2 OS upgrade comes with XBMC FRODO 12.2

3b. You must upgade to 4.2 before you take the new 4.2 upgrade with KODI. If your not on 4.2, taking this update will probably brick your box.

Hope this answers everything

Let m know if you need anything else

Thank

Thanks for the info!! I have a couple of follow-ups.

1. Can you use any USB keyboard or USB mouse in the 520 USB ports?

2. Back on the 1080P, it looks like the only way to try to run 1080P (after I update to Android 4.2.2) is to update to the 18 Aug 2014

**BETA FILE** Android 4.2 1080P Kernel For ATV 1200/400/520E. Is that correct? If so, is there a schedule for a final non-beta update? It sounds like if there still glitches in the beta, I would have to reflash to the released 4.2.2.

Thanks for the info!! I have a couple of follow-ups.

1. Can you use any USB keyboard or USB mouse in the 520 USB ports?

2. Back on the 1080P, it looks like the only way to try to run 1080P (after I update to Android 4.2.2) is to update to the 18 Aug 2014

**BETA FILE** Android 4.2 1080P Kernel For ATV 1200/400/520E. Is that correct? If so, is there a schedule for a final non-beta update? It sounds like if there still glitches in the beta, I would have to reflash to the released 4.2.2.

1. Almost all USB Keyboards or Mouses should work, if they work for a PC they should work on any of the USB ports for the 520

2. We have no plans to release an update to the 1080P Beta file, this was only a Beta file, and we have no plans to release an update to it at this time.

OK, now I'm really confused!! MyGica advertizes this box (ATV520 and ATV520E) as "Full HD 1080". From what you're advising me, I can only network 1080P videos with the beta 1080P kernel. Is that right or am I missing something? I think I read somewhere that the only 1080P pass thru is via the USB or microSD ports.

Bottom line - what I would like to eventually set up is to network (via wired LAN) my 1080P videos through some form of XBMC/KODI. Can I do this with the ATV520, and if so how?

OK, now I'm really confused!! MyGica advertizes this box (ATV520 and ATV520E) as "Full HD 1080". From what you're advising me, I can only network 1080P videos with the beta 1080P kernel. Is that right or am I missing something? I think I read somewhere that the only 1080P pass thru is via the USB or microSD ports.

Bottom line - what I would like to eventually set up is to network (via wired LAN) my 1080P videos through some form of XBMC/KODI. Can I do this with the ATV520, and if so how?

The 520/520e will upscale 1080P.

not sure where you read pass thru is via USB or microSD

You can easily network your 520e/520 via LAN using XBMC/KODI. Just need to setup a NAS network from your PC

Everything you need to know is here

UBGKcLu7aGk

Justin, thanks again for all your help and patience! On the pass thru via USB or microSD, I think I read it as I was reviewing this forum, as well as AVS, xctechs and Kodi/XBMC forums, but I can’t find it again. I do see Amazon has the box listed as such. One area that got me off track on the 1080P pass-thru was your “Also you cannot change output to 1080P within Frodo, it is permanently set to 720P. - by Justin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:27 pm” which led me to believe it was a XBMC version limitation.

So this is what I understand given some of my research and all your advice – please correct me if I’m wrong. I can’t do a true pass through my 1080P videos with this box (even with the 4.2 firmware) and any version of XBMC/KODI due to the limitation of the 720P kernel in the firmware. It will read it as 720P then upscale it back to 1080P if I have 1080P set on the firmware & software. Also, other than the 1080P beta kernel which “XBMC use is not 100% with this Firmware”, there are no plans to improve this.

If that is the case, and I do want to use XBMC, I’m better off leaving the settings at 720P and letting my Oppo BDP-103 do the upscaling with its Marvell Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology.

Also, do you happen to know which is the lowest model MyGica box that does allow true 1080P pass-thru using XBMC or Kodi?

You can get 1080 on KODI with beta 1080 firmware

but the picrure is crappy, it glitches, audio isnt synced with video.

crapy business writing that 1080p

my friend that is why we called it beta, some stuff needs more work, and we already know about some issues like what your indicating

but thank you for your input

Basically, in other words.

This is called "false advertising"

520e is only a 720p device by it's own nature with the official kernel.

Upscaling to 1080p wouldn't make your video output quality better. Similarly making a 3 megabytes pic 15 megabytes doesn't increase its resolution.

Your best bet, if you have a good TV, is to set your 520e to 720p output, and let the TV does the upscale itself.

For all its worth, which I tested, he algorithm/circuitry on a good TV definitely surpasses that of the cheap amoglic chip on 520e.

By running on 720p, it also makes the 520e a little bit cooler to run, temperature wise.

While I enjoy using MyGica and its good customer support service, I really wish they could stop advertising their devices as FULL HD 1080p, which they are not.

Basically, in other words.

This is called "false advertising"

520e is only a 720p device by it's own nature with the official kernel.

Upscaling to 1080p wouldn't make your video output quality better. Similarly making a 3 megabytes pic 15 megabytes doesn't increase its resolution.

Your best bet, if you have a good TV, is to set your 520e to 720p output, and let the TV does the upscale itself.

For all its worth, which I tested, he algorithm/circuitry on a good TV definitely surpasses that of the cheap amoglic chip on 520e.

By running on 720p, it also makes the 520e a little bit cooler to run, temperature wise.

While I enjoy using MyGica and its good customer support service, I really wish they could stop advertising their devices as FULL HD 1080p, which they are not.

I have indicated our Google OS is 1080P, but if the App your using is 720P that is not our box fault and i would refer you to those app creators ...

we never advertise anything wrongfully, we are standing on our words and advertise that ATV520E is 1080P, your issue is with Kodi, go to Kodi its just one App, its not Mygica's fault, escalate it with them

*** Closing this Topic its getting Stupid, what people believe it should be that way (( no its not )) ***