Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bernie

ATV 1800. Internet speed top 5Mb

Same here I'm still waiting for an answer on this. Wi-Fi is stable at 5-6 MB/s (should be faster though - I get 10 MB/s min. out of the laptop) but wired connections are hosed - not more than 4 MB/s on a good night.

It's not my router, I plug a laptop in and get well over 25 MB/s (which is what my connection should be).

Gord

"had the same issue at the office, and after reading up on some common Android issues with Wifi and router setups for wifi, I found some work arounds for it. I was able to resolve this issue yesterday"

@Justin, I just reread your post. You make comment on WiFi issues but people on this thread are referring to Ethernet connections not getting the full 200 meg that they have available to them. Mine is 150 meg and I don't get near that. I would expect to get at the very least 100 meg speeds.

Is all your research for WiFi only?

Sorry havent posted up suggestions/fix for wifi. As I am away right now on business

I will be back late sunday.

The RJ45 port is only a 10/100 ethernet card. We have a 50mb download internet at our office, and I have run ethernet speed tests on many boxes in our office, and most get 40-48 mb download

I dont have anything faster then 50mb to try it on, so not sure if it can achieve higher then this. What are you currently getting over ethernet for speed? And what are you using to do the test.

For a quick trick, under Android Native settings, go to Location and turn it off. Then do a speed test.

I have the speed test through total installer my minix x8h plus gets 48 download. my mygica 1800e is only seeing 5 . my Internet speed is 50. so not sure why all my devices see close to 50 but not my 1800e so I'm positive that my Internet and router and my devices work just fine. BUT not my 1800e. I think there's some of them. that work properly but I think lots of them are not built right. at your office try and test 10 random boxes and see . some of my friends work great but not mine.

I ran the OOKLA Speedtest.net app on my ATV 1800e (2015 edition) today and peaked out at 41Mpbs download using the wireless connection. I have a 200Mbps download and 15Mbps upload connection. Ran the same test on my laptop over wireless right after and got the following just now:

4163385893.png

Hmmm...

Tips for wifi setup that I have tried myself which resolved Wifi Issues.

Router Setup:

1. Broadcast your signal in WPA-2 using Wireless N Only or B/G/N Only

2. Change Wifi Channels to one that is not being over used.

3. Broadcast in AES Security only not TKIP

Changing these settings above on my router, made my Wifi Speed Test on a ATV 582 and 1800E went from 17-19MBPS up to 39-42MBPS, and our speed at the office is at 50mbs.

Will try an entire case of 20pcs for Eternet speed tests to see if this is a hardware issue. And let you know results.

I have no problem with wifi getting about 42mbs my speeds from rogers are 250mb..however when using ethernet connection getting about 5mbs even slower then wifi ??

Any reason why this would be ??shoule be slower on wifi and faster on ethernet isnt it ?? have changed a few ethernet cables i am using asus rt66ac router..when i disconnect the ethernet cable from mygica and put into my laptop I get 230mb speed both testing with ookla..

looks like something with the firmware of mygica as far as ethernet speeds are concerned.

pls advise any resolution thx

I'll refer back to a message posted by Justin in January about this issue:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2390

In the message, the issue being addressed is the ethernet port speed issue. In general, wired connections should be faster than wi-fi but of course this will depend on hardware, where the AP is in the residence, etc.

It was mentioned that the ETHERNET issue (not Wifi as we seem to be getting issues crossed in these forums) was confirmed as a firmware issue and was a top priority for a fix (I'm paraphrasing but this is essentially what was written).

To date there has been none and this is a month ago.

I can confirm on my end that I have 1- 2014 box (purchased in December) and 3 - 2015 boxes (purchased in January). ALL of these boxes have the ethernet issue of no speed over 4 Mb/s achievable with a cabled connection. This is not acceptable in my books. I tested a competitor's product and the speeds were well up into the 50 MB/s range both wired and wireless. I also connected my laptop to the router with the same OOKLA test result.

The problem is not on our end, it's the boxes. I sure hope this issue is dealt with soon as you certainly won't be able to stream 4K at those kind of speeds - even HD would be difficult with that throttling.

As a side note regarding the WiFi I would think that if you buy a media player on the higher end of the technology scale, you shouldn't have to play around with your router settings to get the WiFi to work properly. I've never had to change my wireless settings for any other box I've ever purchased (Roku, Western Digital HD and a Sony Blu-Ray with WiFi to be exact) so I would expect a player that touts itself as state of the art should work properly out of the box.

Gord

@freakrant - I was able to test my 1800e on Ethernet today. Here are my results:

Using the pre-installed "Speed Test" app I get 15Mbps download over Ethernet (down only, no up stats on this app)

Using the OOKLA Speed Test App I get 67Mbps down and 17Mbps up over Ethernet.

That pre-installed SpeedTest app seems pretty flaky.

From the series of OOKLA App Speedtests I did, Ethernet download speeds maxed out at 67Mbps and WIFI maxed out at 41Mbps down. Both tests had upload speeds of between 15-17Mbps. My home internet connection is 200/15.

The WIFI connection was to my N900 5GHz network provided by an ASUS RT-N66U wireless router.

FWIW, when I pull up my WIFI connection information in the settings, it shows the link speed as 65Mbps. That goes for either 2GHz or 5GHz Wirless-N900 connections that I have.

Quickly loosing my patience with this box, my 2015 edition 1800e worked fine out of the box, but then after installing a few apps and configuring xmbc I lost all sound, so I treid everything , only solution was to factory reset, did that brought the 1800 to original firmware that was before 11/05, I then had to update it to 11/05 firmware and since then the sound came back but the wifi no longer works and as far as the ethernet port I get 5mb/s with the pre installed speedtest app and 43 mbps d/l using the ookla app, the app only goes up to 50mb/s even though my Internet speed on my network is over 120mb/s. So far I'm not that impressed with this box, I really do not want to reflash with older firmware to get my 1800e wifi working again, hopefully this new firmware will solve a lot of issues and be released soon, before the apps on that become outdated.

Ya I gave up. for the money spent on this box not worth it. the idea behind these boxes was to enjoy tv again with out the huge bill from cable companies but all I have got was a headache with this box. this will be my last post as I'm no longer a user of this product. to the owners of this company you need to make this right to the people that still own your product. pull ur product of the shelf till it done right. stream team onD pro best box out there and remote capabilites to trouble shoot ur machine. tech support on the weekend and no chinesse hold as to compete with . canadain base. love it

peace mygica. never again.

@freakrant - my guess is the WIFI adapter in the 1800e does not support the Wireless-N "wide" 40MHz channels and/or MIMO transmission and can only do 1 stream, which is resulting in the 65Mbps limit I'm seeing. I've yet to try a dual-band connection to see what happens. I keep separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz network SSIDs on my home network so I'd have to change my config to do that.

Hopefully it's a driver issue that can be fixed with a firmware update.

If it's a HW issue... then we are out of luck.

Wonder if the ATV1900AC has these issues?

I have to agree with yayabojangles , poor support for their top of the line box the 1800e, too many problems, lack of firmware updates all on the the pretenses of up to date version of Kodi and other items that should've been resolved by now.

I'll stick with my Mag 254 for now. I have a spare pc for Kodi, was just hoping to have everything on one device and bought an 1800e after no sound, I tried everything to resolve it, last resort was to factory reset and then I lost the 11/05 firmware that was pre-installed on my 2015 edition, I assue the issue could be a driver with the firmware using a driver for a non dual band wifi. on the plus side the bluetooth works great! but with No wifi my Gica box is useless and with empty promises of firmware updates, that take too long to be released,